updating openssl

Paul-2
I configured Openvpn server on ubuntu 16.04 and ubuntu was using a old version of openssl 1.0.2 and I was updating openssl to v1.1.1
Now I've installed the openssl but now unable to mv file installed to ln -s /usr/local/ssl/bin/openssl /usr/bin/openssl
failed to create symbolic link '/usr/bin/openssl': File exists

but then when I use openssl version

 /usr/bin/openssl: No such file or directory

how can I correct this?

Paul

This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you have received this email in error please notify the system manager. This message contains confidential information and is intended only for the individual named. If you are not the named addressee you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail. Please notify the sender immediately by e-mail if you have received this e-mail by mistake and delete this e-mail from your system. If you are not the intended recipient you are notified that disclosing, copying, distributing or taking any action in reliance on the contents of this information is strictly prohibited.

Re: updating openssl

Wim Lewis-3

On 6. nóv. 2018, at 2:02 e.h., Paul <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I configured Openvpn server on ubuntu 16.04 and ubuntu was using a old version of openssl 1.0.2 and I was updating openssl to v1.1.1
> Now I've installed the openssl but now unable to mv file installed to ln -s /usr/local/ssl/bin/openssl /usr/bin/openssl
> failed to create symbolic link '/usr/bin/openssl': File exists
>
> but then when I use openssl version
>  /usr/bin/openssl: No such file or directory

This is really a general unix question: I suspect you have a dangling symbolic link in /usr/bin, pointing to a (now-deleted) old copy of openssl. If so, you can just rm the dangling symbolic link.

Re: updating openssl

Paul-2
Thank you for the quick response

On Tue, Nov 6, 2018 at 4:42 PM Wim Lewis <[hidden email]> wrote:

On 6. nóv. 2018, at 2:02 e.h., Paul <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I configured Openvpn server on ubuntu 16.04 and ubuntu was using a old version of openssl 1.0.2 and I was updating openssl to v1.1.1
> Now I've installed the openssl but now unable to mv file installed to ln -s /usr/local/ssl/bin/openssl /usr/bin/openssl
> failed to create symbolic link '/usr/bin/openssl': File exists
>
> but then when I use openssl version
>  /usr/bin/openssl: No such file or directory

This is really a general unix question: I suspect you have a dangling symbolic link in /usr/bin, pointing to a (now-deleted) old copy of openssl. If so, you can just rm the dangling symbolic link.

This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you have received this email in error please notify the system manager. This message contains confidential information and is intended only for the individual named. If you are not the named addressee you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail. Please notify the sender immediately by e-mail if you have received this e-mail by mistake and delete this e-mail from your system. If you are not the intended recipient you are notified that disclosing, copying, distributing or taking any action in reliance on the contents of this information is strictly prohibited.

Re: updating openssl

OpenSSL - User mailing list
On Debian systems, the standard procedure on Debian is to build your
private/different versions of openssl (or anything else) in /usr/local,
while leaving the Debain modified OpenSSL in /usr .

This should keep your own code and Debian code out of each others way.

Any programs you need to use with your own OpenSSL should be similarly
rebuilt and put in /usr/local.

I happen to do that quite a lot with OpenSSL.

On 09/11/2018 00:23, Kyle Hamilton wrote:

> Generally, you don't want to replace any system-provided version of
> OpenSSL with a different version that has a different ABI. The way
> you've done so (without deleting the libraries from the older version)
> is safe, but don't remove the system package of openssl-1.0.2. Other
> packages may link to that version and stop working if you remove it.
>
> -Kyle H
>
> On Tue, Nov 6, 2018, 14:02 Paul <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>     I configured Openvpn server on ubuntu 16.04 and ubuntu was using a
>     old version of openssl 1.0.2 and I was updating openssl to v1.1.1
>     Now I've installed the openssl but now unable to mv file installed
>     to ln -s /usr/local/ssl/bin/openssl /usr/bin/openssl
>     failed to create symbolic link '/usr/bin/openssl': File exists
>

>     but then when I use openssl version
>
>     /usr/bin/openssl: No such file or directory
>
>     how can I correct this?
>
>     Paul

Enjoy

Jakob