[question]

Ben K.

Hi,

I'm trying to create a certificate for a test with qpopper on sslwrap. I'd
appreciate any advice.

I used this command to create a certificate for sslwrap.

(A)  openssl req new -x509 -nodes -out my.pem -keyout my.pem -days 365.

It works OK. Now, we have a certificate from Thawte available. I wanted to
see how many configuration steps an Outlook user will save, if we install
a commercial certificate rather than self-signed one. The Thawte
certificate has passphrase.

I tried, by guessing from the format,

(1) Remove passphrase
openssl rsa -in my.key -out my.nopass.key

(2) Extract public part of the key
openssl rsa -in my.nopass.key -pubout -out my.pub.key

(3) Concatenate key and cert together.
cat my.pub.key my.crt > my.pem

But this didn't work.

My purpose is to make an equivalent of (A) from the existing certificate.
Could someone advise?

Thanks..

Ben Kim
Developer
College of Education
Texas A&M University

Re: [question]

Dr. Stephen Henson
On Tue, May 24, 2005, Ben Kim wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to create a certificate for a test with qpopper on sslwrap. I'd
> appreciate any advice.
>
> I used this command to create a certificate for sslwrap.
>
> (A)  openssl req new -x509 -nodes -out my.pem -keyout my.pem -days 365.
>
> It works OK. Now, we have a certificate from Thawte available. I wanted to
> see how many configuration steps an Outlook user will save, if we install
> a commercial certificate rather than self-signed one. The Thawte
> certificate has passphrase.
>
> I tried, by guessing from the format,
>
> (1) Remove passphrase
> openssl rsa -in my.key -out my.nopass.key
>
> (2) Extract public part of the key
> openssl rsa -in my.nopass.key -pubout -out my.pub.key
>
> (3) Concatenate key and cert together.
> cat my.pub.key my.crt > my.pem
>
> But this didn't work.
>
> My purpose is to make an equivalent of (A) from the existing certificate.
> Could someone advise?

Qpopper will need the *private* key and the certificate.

You can first check the certificate is in the correct format with:

openssl x509 -in my.crt

If you don't get an error you just configure it to use my.crt and
my.nopass.key, or concatenate the two and just point it at that one file.

Funding needed! Details on homepage.

Re: [question]

Ben K.
On Tue, 24 May 2005, Dr. Stephen Henson wrote:

>If you don't get an error you just configure it to use my.crt and
>my.nopass.key, or concatenate the two and just point it at that one file.

Thanks greatly. It solved my problem.

Regards,

Ben Kim
Developer