question on linking dynamic engines

Anil Gunturu
How do I link the dynamic engine "so" and the library that the hardware vendor provides? For example, if I am using the ibmca engine in the demos directory it seem to generate the libibmca.so. Looks like this path needs to be provided to the engine as SO_PATH. But, how I actually link to the hardware library?

Thanks,
-Anil

Yahoo! for Good

Re: question on linking dynamic engines

Richard Levitte - VMS Whacker
In message <[hidden email]> on Wed, 5 Oct 2005 21:25:34 -0700 (PDT), Anil Gunturu <[hidden email]> said:

anil_gunturu> How do I link the dynamic engine "so" and the library
anil_gunturu> that the hardware vendor provides? For example, if I am
anil_gunturu> using the ibmca engine in the demos directory it seem to
anil_gunturu> generate the libibmca.so. Looks like this path needs to
anil_gunturu> be provided to the engine as SO_PATH. But, how I
anil_gunturu> actually link to the hardware library?

You don't.  It's loaded by libcrypto in run-time.

Cheers,
Richard

-----
See http://www.free.lp.se/sponsoring.html for details.

--
Richard Levitte                         [hidden email]
                                        http://richard.levitte.org/

                                                -- C.S. Lewis

Yahoo! for Good

RE: question on linking dynamic engines

Frédéric Donnat-2

OpenSSL has a specific path for dynamic ENGINE libraries.
If you use the --prefix="/path_to_openssl" option when building openssl, then
  - the openssl libraries are in /path_to_ossl/lib
  - the openssl ENGINE libraries are in /path_to_ossl/lib/engines
So it's easy to know the path.   ;)

After that the dynamic engine library find the specific hardware library (if any, not using direct driver calls) according to your environement variable (LD_LIBRARY_PATH on linux for example).

If you are using another engines not included in openssl engines libraries you could load it with the "dynamic" engine spefying the library just as it is exlains in the openssl engine -h online help.

Have a look at the man ssl/man/man5/config.5 for more informations.
I think you could also find a thread on this in openssl user mailing list archive.

Hope it could help.
regards,

Fred

Richard Levitte - VMS Whacker wrote:
In message <[hidden email]> on Wed, 5 Oct 2005 21:25:34 -0700 (PDT), Anil Gunturu said:

anil_gunturu> How do I link the dynamic engine "so" and the library
anil_gunturu> that the hardware vendor provides? For example, if I am
anil_gunturu> using the ibmca engine in the demos directory it seem to
anil_gunturu> generate the libibmca.so. Looks like this path needs to
anil_gunturu> be provided to the engine as SO_PATH. But, how I
anil_gunturu> actually link to the hardware library?

You don't. It's loaded by libcrypto in run-time.

Cheers,
Richard

-----

Richard Levitte [hidden email]
http://richard.levitte.org/

-- C.S. Lewis

Automated List Manager [hidden email]

Yahoo! for Good

RE: question on linking dynamic engines

Frédéric Donnat-2
In OpenSSL 0.9.7 the engine name was not dependant of the library name.

In OpenSSL, 0.9.8 this is not with the dynamic engine.
For example here is a load with the dynamic engine (i ernamed the lib in libnscrypto whereas the engine name is zencod).

[donnatfr@CoyoteNux openssl-0.9.8x-nscrypto-dyn]$ LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/ossl-0.9.8/lib /usr/local/ossl-0.9.8/bin/openssl engine -v -c -t -pre SO_PATH:/netsecureone/dev/openssl/ossl-0.9.8x/openssl-0.9.8x-nscrypto-dyn/libnscrypto-0.9.8.so -pre LOAD -pre ID:nscrypto
(dynamic) Dynamic engine loading support
[Success]: SO_PATH:/netsecureone/dev/openssl/ossl-0.9.8x/openssl-0.9.8x-nscrypto-dyn/libnscrypto-0.9.8.so
[Success]: LOAD
Loaded: (zencod) NetSecureOne hardware engine support
 [RSA, DSA, DH, RAND]
     [ available ]
     SO_PATH, ALGO

regards,