question about openssl speed and blowfish

question about openssl speed and blowfish

维宾 宋
Dear friends
   I use OpenSSL's speed command testing the speed of Blowfish and AES,find bf-cbc faster than aes-128-cbc.But when I download a large file from intranet of OpenVPN,find bf-cbc seems slower than aes-128-cbc,why? Can you give help? thanks!

---download rate---
aes-128-cbc 6.5Mbps
bf-cbc 5.5Mbps

无限容量雅虎相册,原图等大下载,超快速度,赶快抢注!

Re: question about openssl speed and blowfish

Bernhard Fröhlich-2
维宾 宋 wrote:

> Dear friends
> I use OpenSSL's speed command testing the speed of Blowfish and
> AES,find bf-cbc faster than aes-128-cbc.But when I download a large
> file from intranet of OpenVPN,find bf-cbc seems slower than
> aes-128-cbc,why? Can you give help? thanks!
> ---download rate---
> aes-128-cbc 6.5Mbps
> bf-cbc 5.5Mbps

> <https://reg.cn.yahoo.com/cnreg/cnreg_first?id=78999&.prop=photo>
Are you sure this download rates are significant? Have you tried several
times (maybe the file was in the server's cash or someone else did
access the server at the same time)? Has there been other traffic on the
network? Is your client fast enough to store the data at this rate? What
background services have been running on the server and the client?

In the file download scenario there are lots of factors that influence
download speed and the encryption algorithm is just one of them...

Hope it helps,
Ted
;)

--
PGP Public Key Information
Download complete Key from http://www.convey.de/ted/tedkey_convey.asc

On Thu, Mar 02, 2006, ???? ?? wrote:

> Dear friends I use OpenSSL's speed command testing the speed of Blowfish and
> AES,find bf-cbc faster than aes-128-cbc.But when I download a large file
> from intranet of OpenVPN,find bf-cbc seems slower than aes-128-cbc,why? Can
> you give help? thanks!

The "speed" command repeatedly calls the encrypt/decrypt routines in a tight
loop. A real world application will often perform other operations in between
calls so the results may not agree.

Funding needed! Details on homepage.

Re: question about openssl speed and blowfish

Girish Venkatachalam
AFAIK Blowfish key setup times are very high. That
might account for the difference.

All things being equal AES certainly gives you more
security than any other cipher.

And AES was chosen also because it was found fit for
implementation on severely constrained embedded
devices. So you get both performance and security with
AES.

If I were you I wouldn't use any cipher other than
AES.

regards,
Girish
--- "Dr. Stephen Henson" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 02, 2006, ???? ?? wrote:
>
> > Dear friends I use OpenSSL's speed command testing
> the speed of Blowfish and
> > AES,find bf-cbc faster than aes-128-cbc.But when I
> download a large file
> > from intranet of OpenVPN,find bf-cbc seems slower
> than aes-128-cbc,why? Can
> > you give help? thanks!
> >

> The "speed" command repeatedly calls the
> encrypt/decrypt routines in a tight
> loop. A real world application will often perform
> other operations in between
> calls so the results may not agree.
>
> Steve.
> --
> Dr Stephen N. Henson. Email, S/MIME and PGP keys:
> see homepage
> OpenSSL project core developer and freelance
> consultant.
> Funding needed! Details on homepage.

> Automated List Manager

回复: Re: question about openssl speed and blowfish

维宾 宋
I have tested n times,but the result is same.
OpenVPN renegotiate  keys every a hour. Bf-cbc should be faster or fastest.but...

Bernhard Froehlich <[hidden email]> 写道:
songwb wrote:

> Dear friends
> I use OpenSSL's speed command testing the speed of Blowfish and
> AES,find bf-cbc faster than aes-128-cbc.But when I download a large
> file from intranet of OpenVPN,find bf-cbc seems slower than
> aes-128-cbc,why? Can you give help? thanks!
> ---download rate---
> aes-128-cbc 6.5Mbps
> bf-cbc 5.5Mbps

Are you sure this download rates are significant? Have you tried several
times (maybe the file was in the server's cash or someone else did
access the server at the same time)? Has there been other traffic on the
network? Is your client fast enough to store the data at this rate? What
background services have been running on the server and the client?

In the file download scenario there are lots of factors that influence
download speed and the encryption algorithm is just one of them...

Hope it helps,
Ted
;)

--
PGP Public Key Information
Download complete Key from http://www.convey.de/ted/tedkey_convey.asc
Key fingerprint = 31B0 E029 BCF9 6605 DAC1 B2E1 0CC8 70F4 7AFB 8D26

雅虎1G免费邮箱百分百防垃圾信
雅虎助手-搜索、杀毒、防骚扰