question about data transfer

sun yingming
HI:

I am trying to use ssl to secure a persistent data stream which is read form some sensors outside, and transfer it to a fixed pc on the interent. The most common use of ssl is Https,but i am confused that can https realize this application? i mean , as i know ,the Https is always works in Browser/Server mode ,is it realizable to use Https to transfer a persitent data stream,or i should choose other protocol like ftp?

anyone who can help me is thankful

Sun Yingming

Re: question about data transfer

Bear Giles
When you say "data stream", how much data are you talking about?
If it's occasional data (e.g., updated every 5 minutes) it would
probably be easiest to use a HTTPS client using a "post" form.
That lets you use a standard web server on the other end.  One
less thing to worry about.

Another possibility is secured email, SMTP + TLS.  If you have a
relatively smart sensor (e.g., an embedded Linux system) you could
 write a straightforward mail client that sends mail to the local
mail server (on localhost).  You can then let
sendmail/postfix/exim/whatever forward the mail to your system
with a secure connection.  Again, one less thing to worry about.

If it's close to continuous you should probably establish your own
network connection instead of trying to piggyback on an existing
service.

In any case you need to think about how you will handle network
connectivity problems... and you will have dropped connections,
high latency, etc.  Can you drop the data on the floor?  If not
you'll need to have an accurately timestamped data queue.  That's
not hard to do (hint: NTP), but it will drive the design.

Bear

sun yingming wrote:

> I am trying to use ssl to secure a persistent data stream which
> is read form some sensors outside, and transfer it to a fixed
> pc on the interent. The most common use of ssl is Https,but i
> am confused that can https realize this application? i mean ,
> as i know ,the Https is always works in Browser/Server mode ,is
> it realizable to use Https to transfer a persitent data
> stream,or i should choose other protocol like ftp?
>
> anyone who can help me is thankful
>
> Sun Yingming

Re: question about data transfer

sun yingming

Thank you for your advice.

Now i've desided to write a new application instead of using an existing protocol.But I'm a fresh men here, so not very clear with what should i do first,would you please give me some advices about this ?

thank you very much!

Sun yingming

From:  Bear Giles <[hidden email]>
To:  [hidden email]
Subject:  Re: question about data transfer
Date:  Mon, 21 Nov 2005 21:28:01 -0700

>When you say "data stream", how much data are you talking about?
>If it's occasional data (e.g., updated every 5 minutes) it would
>probably be easiest to use a HTTPS client using a "post" form.
>That lets you use a standard web server on the other end.  One
>less thing to worry about.
>
>Another possibility is secured email, SMTP + TLS.  If you have a
>relatively smart sensor (e.g., an embedded Linux system) you could
>  write a straightforward mail client that sends mail to the local
>mail server (on localhost).  You can then let
>sendmail/postfix/exim/whatever forward the mail to your system
>with a secure connection.  Again, one less thing to worry about.
>
>If it's close to continuous you should probably establish your own
>network connection instead of trying to piggyback on an existing
>service.
>
>In any case you need to think about how you will handle network
>connectivity problems... and you will have dropped connections,
>high latency, etc.  Can you drop the data on the floor?  If not
>you'll need to have an accurately timestamped data queue.  That's
>not hard to do (hint: NTP), but it will drive the design.
>
>Bear
>
>sun yingming wrote:
> > I am trying to use ssl to secure a persistent data stream which
> > is read form some sensors outside, and transfer it to a fixed
> > pc on the interent. The most common use of ssl is Https,but i
> > am confused that can https realize this application? i mean ,
> > as i know ,the Https is always works in Browser/Server mode ,is
> > it realizable to use Https to transfer a persitent data
> > stream,or i should choose other protocol like ftp?
> >
> > anyone who can help me is thankful
> >
> > Sun Yingming

>Automated List Manager                           [hidden email]

Re: question about data transfer

Richard Salz
> Now i've desided to write a new application instead of using an
> existing protocol.But I'm a fresh men here, so not very clear with
> what should i do first,would you please give me some advices about this
?

If you don't know what you are doing, re-use an existing protocol.  If you
insist on writing your own, make sure you understand RFC 3117.

        /r$

--
SOA Appliance Group
IBM Application Integration Middleware