question about compiling in windows XP

elihusmails
I am using MS Visual Studio 2003, and am trying to compile OpenSSL
0.9.7g.  I am following the instructions provided in the file -
INSTALL.W32.  I get to the point where the instructions say:

 Then from the VC++ environment at a prompt do:

 > nmake -f ms\ntdll.mak

I am not sure how to run this from a command prompt in Visual Studio,
since I cannot find a Visual Studion workspace or project file in
which to open the OpenSSL project.

What am I not doing right ??

Thanks in advance.

Re: question about compiling in windows XP

Sean E. Covel
Start, Programs, Visual Studio.NET 2003, Visual Studio Tools, Visual
Studio.NET 2003 Command Prompt

Its a "Dos Box" with the environment variables/paths setup to run the VS
tools.

Mark wrote:

> I am using MS Visual Studio 2003, and am trying to compile OpenSSL
> 0.9.7g.  I am following the instructions provided in the file -
> INSTALL.W32.  I get to the point where the instructions say:
>
>  Then from the VC++ environment at a prompt do:
>
>  > nmake -f ms\ntdll.mak
>
> I am not sure how to run this from a command prompt in Visual Studio,
> since I cannot find a Visual Studion workspace or project file in
> which to open the OpenSSL project.
>
> What am I not doing right ??
>

> Thanks in advance.

Re: question about compiling in windows XP

Majzik Matyas

> nmake -f ms\ntdll.mak
> I am not sure how to run this from a command prompt in Visual Studio,
> since I cannot find a Visual Studion workspace or project file in
> which to open the OpenSSL project.
> What am I not doing right ??

Open a command prompt using Start menu / Run... by entering cmd
Then run the file program files//visual studio .net
2003/common7/tools/vsvars32.bat
Then CD to Openssl 0.9.7g directory then start doing whatever in install.w32
file

Matyas Majzik

Re: question about compiling in windows XP

Heikki Toivonen
Mark wrote:
>  Then from the VC++ environment at a prompt do:
>
>  > nmake -f ms\ntdll.mak
>
> I am not sure how to run this from a command prompt in Visual Studio,
> since I cannot find a Visual Studion workspace or project file in
> which to open the OpenSSL project.

Maybe the instructions are a little misleading. AFAIK you just open a
Windows command prompt and type that command there. You need to have set
up the VC++ environment variables before that will work, though.
Typically you either have them set up already (the VC++ installer did it
for you) or you need to run vcvars32.bat in the prompt before you can
run the nmake command.

--
  Heikki Toivonen

Re: question about compiling in windows XP

elihusmails
Matys -

That is what I needed.  Thank you !!!

On 6/6/05, Majzik Matyas <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > nmake -f ms\ntdll.mak
> > I am not sure how to run this from a command prompt in Visual Studio,
> > since I cannot find a Visual Studion workspace or project file in
> > which to open the OpenSSL project.
> > What am I not doing right ??
>
> Open a command prompt using Start menu / Run... by entering cmd
> Then run the file program files//visual studio .net
> 2003/common7/tools/vsvars32.bat
> Then CD to Openssl 0.9.7g directory then start doing whatever in install.w32
> file
>
> Matyas Majzik

Re: question about compiling in windows XP

Thomas J. Hruska
Mark wrote:

> I am using MS Visual Studio 2003, and am trying to compile OpenSSL
> 0.9.7g.  I am following the instructions provided in the file -
> INSTALL.W32.  I get to the point where the instructions say:
>
>  Then from the VC++ environment at a prompt do:
>
>  > nmake -f ms\ntdll.mak
>
> I am not sure how to run this from a command prompt in Visual Studio,
> since I cannot find a Visual Studion workspace or project file in
> which to open the OpenSSL project.
>
> What am I not doing right ??

Hello Mark,

If you are just using the default build of OpenSSL, this may be a better
option for you:

http://www.slproweb.com/products/Win32OpenSSL.html

There is no Visual Studio workspace for OpenSSL.  It is entirely
command-line driven.  You have to run vcvars32.bat located inside your
compiler's \bin directory from a command prompt.  Then switch to the
directory OpenSSL is located in and run the desired nmake commands.
Having NASM installed is a _really_ good idea.  You must have at least
Service Pack 5 for VC6 and the latest Platform SDK hooked up properly
(includes modifications to the vcvars32.bat file) to get it to work.
You also have to do some undocumented environment modifications to get
most openssl.exe operations to work properly.

Personally, if you can use the default build, I'd skip the headache and
go with Win32 OpenSSL.

Thomas Hruska