proposed change to INSTALL.W32

John Aho
Hello all,
I recently had a little trouble getting Openssl to compile. I was having a tough time using the command window in .Net 2003 VC7.  I came up with an alternate way to compile Openssl.  What I ended up doing is dragging vcvars32.bat from my vc7 bin directory onto the normal command prompt that I was using and then ran nmake -f ms\ntdll.mak again.

/start snippet
 Then from the VC++ environment at a prompt do:

 > nmake -f ms\ntdll.mak

//////// Proposed update:
 If you see a message similar to this:
    NMAKE : fatal error U1073: don't know how to make '.\.\e_os.h'

 Chances are you're environment variables aren't set up right.

 Or if want to compile OpenSSL from any command prompt do the following:

 First open up a normal command line prompt in the folder that you unzipped Openssl to.
 Then grab a batch file called "vcvars32.bat" from
 "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003\Vc7\bin" and drag it onto
 the command line window you just opened and press enter.
 That will register the VC7 environment variables and now try to run:

 >nmake -f ms\ntdll.mak
 at that command line. Now OpenSSL should compile properly.

///////end proposed update

 If all is well it should compile and you will have some DLLs and executables
 in out32dll. If you want to try the tests then do:

/end snippet

I propose this change/addition to help out newbies.  That's all.

humbly submitted,
John Aho