pod to html

Kenneth Goldman
Does someone have the precise command to bulk convert the pod files to
html, with all the cross references, relative directory, index, etc.?

I'd like to have a local copy for times the web site is unavailable.

Re: pod to html

Matt Caswell-2

On 06/10/16 14:42, Ken Goldman wrote:
> Does someone have the precise command to bulk convert the pod files to
> html, with all the cross references, relative directory, index, etc.?
>
> I'd like to have a local copy for times the web site is unavailable.

Just doing "make install_html_docs" should do it.

Re: pod to html

Kenneth Goldman
On 10/6/2016 10:11 AM, Matt Caswell wrote:
> make install_html_docs

That somewhat worked.

1 - I get 100's of errors of the form

/usr/bin/pod2html: -: cannot resolve L<SSL_get_error(3)> in paragraph 11.

2 - The links, typically in "SEE ALSO" are not links.

3 - The back navigation at the bottom of the page is missing.

I suspect that these are all related, probably to some configuration
option that's missing.

Re: pod to html

Benjamin Kaduk
On 10/10/2016 08:30 AM, Ken Goldman wrote:
On 10/6/2016 10:11 AM, Matt Caswell wrote:
make install_html_docs

That somewhat worked.

1 - I get 100's of errors of the form

/usr/bin/pod2html: -: cannot resolve L<SSL_get_error(3)> in paragraph 11.

Trying the install locally, at least some of these are "well-known", resulting from links that cross the boundaries amongst apps/, crypto/, and ssl/ -- doc/apps/errstr.pod links to SSL_load_error_strings as the first "cannot resolve" error I see.  I forget why this is not trivial to fix, though.

2 - The links, typically in "SEE ALSO" are not links.

Maybe you should post some of the generated HTML?

To reuse my errstr example, errstr.html has a SEE ALSO that is:

<h1 id="SEE-ALSO">SEE ALSO</h1>

which clearly has HTML links, except for the aforementioned SSL_load_error_strings.

3 - The back navigation at the bottom of the page is missing.

I suspect that these are all related, probably to some configuration option that's missing.

Looking at <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="view-source:https://www.openssl.org/docs/manmaster/apps/errstr.html">view-source:https://www.openssl.org/docs/manmaster/apps/errstr.html , the "You are here" hierarchy is in a <footer>, which seems to not be referenced by anything in the openssl.git tree.  However, if we look in git://git.openssl.org/openssl-web.git, there is a bin/mk-manpages script that inserts precisely that footer.  So I would suggest you look in the openssl-web repo if you are attempting to precisely reproduce the openssl.org website and/or its manpages.

-Ben