pod to html

Ken Goldman-2
Does someone have the precise command to bulk convert the pod files to
html, with all the cross references, relative directory, index, etc.?

I'd like to have a local copy for times the web site is unavailable.

Re: pod to html

Matt Caswell-2

On 06/10/16 14:42, Ken Goldman wrote:
> Does someone have the precise command to bulk convert the pod files to
> html, with all the cross references, relative directory, index, etc.?
>
> I'd like to have a local copy for times the web site is unavailable.

Just doing "make install_html_docs" should do it.

Re: pod to html

Ken Goldman-2
On 10/6/2016 10:11 AM, Matt Caswell wrote:
> make install_html_docs

That somewhat worked.

1 - I get 100's of errors of the form

/usr/bin/pod2html: -: cannot resolve L<SSL_get_error(3)> in paragraph 11.

2 - The links, typically in "SEE ALSO" are not links.

3 - The back navigation at the bottom of the page is missing.

I suspect that these are all related, probably to some configuration
option that's missing.

Re: pod to html

Benjamin Kaduk
On 10/10/2016 08:30 AM, Ken Goldman wrote:
On 10/6/2016 10:11 AM, Matt Caswell wrote:
make install_html_docs

That somewhat worked.

1 - I get 100's of errors of the form

/usr/bin/pod2html: -: cannot resolve L<SSL_get_error(3)> in paragraph 11.

Trying the install locally, at least some of these are "well-known", resulting from links that cross the boundaries amongst apps/, crypto/, and ssl/ -- doc/apps/errstr.pod links to SSL_load_error_strings as the first "cannot resolve" error I see.  I forget why this is not trivial to fix, though.

2 - The links, typically in "SEE ALSO" are not links.

Maybe you should post some of the generated HTML?

To reuse my errstr example, errstr.html has a SEE ALSO that is:

<h1 id="SEE-ALSO">SEE ALSO</h1>

which clearly has HTML links, except for the aforementioned SSL_load_error_strings.

3 - The back navigation at the bottom of the page is missing.

I suspect that these are all related, probably to some configuration option that's missing.

Looking at <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="view-source:https://www.openssl.org/docs/manmaster/apps/errstr.html">view-source:https://www.openssl.org/docs/manmaster/apps/errstr.html , the "You are here" hierarchy is in a <footer>, which seems to not be referenced by anything in the openssl.git tree.  However, if we look in git://git.openssl.org/openssl-web.git, there is a bin/mk-manpages script that inserts precisely that footer.  So I would suggest you look in the openssl-web repo if you are attempting to precisely reproduce the openssl.org website and/or its manpages.

-Ben