[openssl.org #3076] openssl 1.0.1e outdated manuals

[openssl.org #3076] openssl 1.0.1e outdated manuals

Rich Salz via RT
openssl 1.0.1e's man 3 ecdsa is two times outdated and horribly misleading. Since it was written the API changed and then EC_KEY was buried into the inner headers of the library such that key->group (it should have been eckey->group, I guess) can no longer be accessed directly like in the manual example. When I searched openssl ecdsa on google I found stackoverflow answers only and it took me a long time to put together the snippets of information and understand how to use openssl ecdsa correctly, in spite of the manual example. Only after I did that I started to google for specific functions in the API and I finally found wiki.openssl.org, which is pretty good. Please substitute the man ecdsa (and other unhappy manuals) in openssl 1.0.1e with a link to wiki.openssl.org to make many openssl beginners happy.

Thank you.

Re: [openssl.org #3076] openssl 1.0.1e outdated manuals

Matt Caswell (frodo@baggins.org)
On 18 June 2013 08:11, Doru Georgescu via RT <[hidden email]> wrote:
> openssl 1.0.1e's man 3 ecdsa is two times outdated and horribly misleading. Since it was written the API changed and then EC_KEY was buried into the inner headers of the library such that key->group (it should have been eckey->group, I guess) can no longer be accessed directly like in the manual example. When I searched openssl ecdsa on google I found stackoverflow answers only and it took me a long time to put together the snippets of information and understand how to use openssl ecdsa correctly, in spite of the manual example. Only after I did that I started to google for specific functions in the API and I finally found wiki.openssl.org, which is pretty good. Please substitute the man ecdsa (and other unhappy manuals) in openssl 1.0.1e with a link to wiki.openssl.org to make many openssl beginners happy.

Hi Doru

I recently wrote and had accepted some manual pages on the usage of
EC_KEY (only in the git master at the moment). See:

http://wiki.openssl.org/index.php/Manual:EC_KEY_new(3)

With regards to other manual pages it is now possible to make updates
and fixes directly on the wiki (as long as you are comfortable with
POD syntax). Periodically I will be submitting as a patch to the
project containing any updates made on the wiki. Alternatively you can
use the "Talk" page associated with each man page to raise any
specific concerns.

On 18 June 2013 09:42, Matt Caswell <[hidden email]> wrote:
> With regards to other manual pages it is now possible to make updates
> and fixes directly on the wiki (as long as you are comfortable with
> POD syntax). Periodically I will be submitting as a patch to the
> project containing any updates made on the wiki. Alternatively you can
> use the "Talk" page associated with each man page to raise any
> specific concerns.

I should have mentioned that I wrote some guidelines on submitting man
page updates through the wiki here:
http://wiki.openssl.org/index.php/Guidelines_for_Manual_Page_Authors