[openssl.org #1979] Add uClibc support

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

[openssl.org #1979] Add uClibc support

Rich Salz via RT
Unsupported platform.

______________________________________________________________________
OpenSSL Project                                 http://www.openssl.org
Development Mailing List                       [hidden email]
Automated List Manager                           [hidden email]
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [openssl.org #1979] Add uClibc support

Rich Salz via RT
I’m confused: uClibc isn’t a platform, it’s a run-time environment (i.e. the C library).

On Jun 30, 2014, at 4:25 PM, Rich Salz via RT <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Unsupported platform.
>


______________________________________________________________________
OpenSSL Project                                 http://www.openssl.org
Development Mailing List                       [hidden email]
Automated List Manager                           [hidden email]
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [openssl.org #1979] Add uClibc support

Rich Salz via RT
In reply to this post by Rich Salz via RT
On Tue, Jul 01, 2014 at 12:25:00AM +0200, Rich Salz via RT wrote:
> Unsupported platform.

Not having read the ticket, uClibc and newlib might be useful to
support if possible since they're popular for embedded devices.


Kurt


______________________________________________________________________
OpenSSL Project                                 http://www.openssl.org
Development Mailing List                       [hidden email]
Automated List Manager                           [hidden email]
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

RE: [openssl.org #1979] Add uClibc support

Salz, Rich
In reply to this post by Rich Salz via RT
Platform in the h/w and s/w sense, not just hardware.

--  
Principal Security Engineer
Akamai Technologies, Cambridge, MA
IM: [hidden email]; Twitter: RichSalz


> -----Original Message-----
> From: [hidden email] [mailto:owner-openssl-
> [hidden email]] On Behalf Of Philip A. Prindeville via RT
> Sent: Monday, June 30, 2014 6:34 PM
> Cc: [hidden email]
> Subject: Re: [openssl.org #1979] Add uClibc support
>
> I’m confused: uClibc isn’t a platform, it’s a run-time environment (i.e. the C
> library).
>
> On Jun 30, 2014, at 4:25 PM, Rich Salz via RT <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Unsupported platform.
> >
>
>
> __________________________________________________________
> ____________
> OpenSSL Project                                 http://www.openssl.org
> Development Mailing List                       [hidden email]
> Automated List Manager                           [hidden email]
:��I"Ϯ��r�m���� (���Z+�7�zZ)���1���x ��h���W^��^��%����&jם.+-1�ځ��j:+v�������h�
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

RE: [openssl.org #1979] Add uClibc support

Salz, Rich
In reply to this post by Rich Salz via RT
Feel free to re-open :)

--  
Principal Security Engineer
Akamai Technologies, Cambridge, MA
IM: [hidden email]; Twitter: RichSalz


> -----Original Message-----
> From: [hidden email] [mailto:owner-openssl-
> [hidden email]] On Behalf Of Kurt Roeckx via RT
> Sent: Monday, June 30, 2014 6:48 PM
> To: [hidden email]
> Cc: [hidden email]
> Subject: Re: [openssl.org #1979] Add uClibc support
>
> On Tue, Jul 01, 2014 at 12:25:00AM +0200, Rich Salz via RT wrote:
> > Unsupported platform.
>
> Not having read the ticket, uClibc and newlib might be useful to support if
> possible since they're popular for embedded devices.
>
>
> Kurt
>
>
> __________________________________________________________
> ____________
> OpenSSL Project                                 http://www.openssl.org
> Development Mailing List                       [hidden email]
> Automated List Manager                           [hidden email]
:��I"Ϯ��r�m���� (���Z+�7�zZ)���1���x ��h���W^��^��%����&jם.+-1�ځ��j:+v�������h�
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [openssl.org #1979] Add uClibc support

Tim Hudson
On 30/06/2014 10:23 PM, Salz, Rich wrote:

> Feel free to re-open :)
>
> --  
> Principal Security Engineer
> Akamai Technologies, Cambridge, MA
> IM: [hidden email]; Twitter: RichSalz
>
>
>> -----Original Message-----
>> From: [hidden email] [mailto:owner-openssl-
>> [hidden email]] On Behalf Of Kurt Roeckx via RT
>> Sent: Monday, June 30, 2014 6:48 PM
>> To: [hidden email]
>> Cc: [hidden email]
>> Subject: Re: [openssl.org #1979] Add uClibc support
>>
>> On Tue, Jul 01, 2014 at 12:25:00AM +0200, Rich Salz via RT wrote:
>>> Unsupported platform.
>> Not having read the ticket, uClibc and newlib might be useful to support if
>> possible since they're popular for embedded devices.


They are actively used - but with a case that old and known current
usage (one of the FIPS140 validated platforms is indeed uClibc based) so
closing the ticket in my view is the right approach.
If there is a specific issue with current releases those impacted should
raise a new issue ...

The specific suggested Makefile included in the RT item is also somewhat
rather specific to the snapgear distribution layout ...

Tim.

______________________________________________________________________
OpenSSL Project                                 http://www.openssl.org
Development Mailing List                       [hidden email]
Automated List Manager                           [hidden email]
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [openssl.org #1979] Add uClibc support

Mike Frysinger
On Tue 01 Jul 2014 08:53:56 Tim Hudson wrote:

> On 30/06/2014 10:23 PM, Salz, Rich wrote:
> >> On Tue, Jul 01, 2014 at 12:25:00AM +0200, Rich Salz via RT wrote:
> >>> Unsupported platform.
> >>
> >> Not having read the ticket, uClibc and newlib might be useful to support
> >> if
> >> possible since they're popular for embedded devices.
>
> They are actively used - but with a case that old and known current
> usage (one of the FIPS140 validated platforms is indeed uClibc based) so
> closing the ticket in my view is the right approach.
> If there is a specific issue with current releases those impacted should
> raise a new issue ...
>
> The specific suggested Makefile included in the RT item is also somewhat
> rather specific to the snapgear distribution layout ...
yeah, that patch makes no sense to include.  Gentoo actively builds the latest
openssl on uClibc, so it's not clear to me if any changes are needed at all.

i know hat openssl on nommu/Linux (which uses uClibc) has troubles with some
apps because they use fork(), but that patch doesn't help there.
-mike

signature.asc (836 bytes) Download Attachment