openssl on arm

sun yingming
hi:

  I'm now trying to realize a SSL connection on embedded system.But I had some problems in the beginning.how can i compile the OpenSSL in arm-linux-gcc? Simple by changing the gcc to arm-linux-gcc in the Makefile?
  But i got the error as in the ScreenShot.png.

  how can i do with this ?

 Great thanks.

Sun Ying-ming

Re: openssl on arm

Bear Giles
sun yingming wrote:

> I'm now trying to realize a SSL connection on embedded system.But I
> had some problems in the beginning.how can i compile the OpenSSL in
> arm-linux-gcc? Simple by changing the gcc to arm-linux-gcc in the
> Makefile?
> But i got the error as in the ScreenShot.png.
> how can i do with this ?

You have to build a full cross-compiling toolchain. For instance, if
you're running on an i386 (PC) machine your compiler and linker normally
produces i386 libraries and executables. You need to rebuild the
compiler so it runs on an i386 but produces arm libraries and executables.

Have you looked at the NSLU2 project? (nslu2-linux.org) It has a
makefile that will build a cross-compiling toolchain for arm _and_ use
it to build a complete embedded Linux system ready to be flashed.
Actually several scripts - there are two early efforts (SlugOS and
UpSlug, iirc), and now two Debian efforts. If nothing else it should
have the OpenSSL library somewhere in there -- everyone uses either
dropbear or openssh.

P.S., mine is great. I've thought that it would be an interesting CA.
Extremely small and low power so it could be physically secured
anywhere, you could store routine files (e.g., CRL) on one USB stick and
high-value keys on a second USB stick normally kept secured, and o on.

Bear

Re: openssl on arm

sun yingming

thank you for your advice.

I do have established my cross-compiling toolchain: arm-linux-gcc(sorry i forget the version num.) Now I want to Re-compile the OpenSSL with it.I don't know exactly how to do this.Should i modify the equation: CC=gcc to CC=arm-linux-gcc? just that simple?It seems that such kind of measure isn't working.do you have any idea about this?

thank you !!

Sun

From:  Bear Giles <[hidden email]>
To:  [hidden email]