[openssl-announce] OpenSSL FIPS Validation 1747 is not being labeled historic

[openssl-announce] OpenSSL FIPS Validation 1747 is not being labeled historic

Salz, Rich

We have been getting asked about the status of the OpenSSL FIPS 2.0

Validation, Certificate 1747 [1]. In particular, they read the notice

about "symmetric key wrapping"[2] and wondered if OpenSSL would

be moved to the Historical list.

The OpenSSL validation testing was performed by InfoGard Laboratories,

which is now known as UL Verification Services[3]. The program manager

was Marc Ireland. Marc has the same role at UL.  In response to our

question about this, he said the following:

                The transition for that was January 1st, so it would have already

                been moved.  We submitted updated Security Policies late last

                year to avoid it being moved.

We hope this alleviates everyone's concern. We thank Mark Minnoch of

KeyPair Consulting who had earlier posted the same thing[4].

[1] https://csrc.nist.gov/projects/cryptographic-module-validation-program/Certificate/1747

[2] https://csrc.nist.gov/Projects/Cryptographic-Module-Validation-Program/Notices

[3] https://www.ul-ts.com/standards/fips/c-38/c-1863

[4] https://mta.openssl.org/pipermail/openssl-users/2018-March/007668.html