openssl 1.0 and 1.1 co-exist

Ken Goldman-2
This is probably Linux specific ...

Can both openssl versions co-exist on the same platform.  I know that
the .so is versioned, but how about the header files?  Can I choose
which library to build with?

Do the headerso in the same /usr/include/openssl or are there links?

Are there ifdefs in the header files.

Is there a FAQ covering this?

Re: openssl 1.0 and 1.1 co-exist

Viktor Dukhovni
On Wed, Jun 21, 2017 at 01:44:34PM -0400, Ken Goldman wrote:

> This is probably Linux specific ...
>
> Can both openssl versions co-exist on the same platform.  I know that the
> .so is versioned, but how about the header files?  Can I choose which
> library to build with?

Yes, with care.  I support systems where the base platform (debian)
provides OpenSSL 1.0.1 in /usr/{include,lib,bin}, and I additionally
deploy OpenSSL 1.0.2 and OpenSSL 1.1.0 in:

        /opt/openssl/1.0/{include,lib,bin} OpenSSL 1.0.2
        /opt/openssl/1.1/{include,lib,bin} OpenSSL 1.1.0

These builds employ custom ELF symbol versions and custom ELF
SONAMEs, and custom RPATHs, so that they can coexist without conflict
in a single running process with the system OpenSSL library.

Applications that use my builds can then be compiled with (for
example):

    -I/opt/openssl/1.1/include \
    -L/opt/openssl/1.1/lib \
    -Wl,-R,/opt/openssl/1.1/lib

> Do the headers go in the same /usr/include/openssl or are there links?
>
> Are there ifdefs in the header files.
>
> Is there a FAQ covering this?

Not that I've seen.

Re: openssl 1.0 and 1.1 co-exist

Jakob Bohm-7
On 22/06/2017 04:31, Viktor Dukhovni wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 21, 2017 at 01:44:34PM -0400, Ken Goldman wrote:
>
>> This is probably Linux specific ...
>>
>> Can both openssl versions co-exist on the same platform.  I know that the
>> .so is versioned, but how about the header files?  Can I choose which
>> library to build with?
> Yes, with care.  I support systems where the base platform (debian)
> provides OpenSSL 1.0.1 in /usr/{include,lib,bin}, and I additionally
> deploy OpenSSL 1.0.2 and OpenSSL 1.1.0 in:
>
> /opt/openssl/1.0/{include,lib,bin} OpenSSL 1.0.2
> /opt/openssl/1.1/{include,lib,bin} OpenSSL 1.1.0
>
> These builds employ custom ELF symbol versions and custom ELF
> SONAMEs, and custom RPATHs, so that they can coexist without conflict
> in a single running process with the system OpenSSL library.
>
> Applications that use my builds can then be compiled with (for
> example):
>
>      -I/opt/openssl/1.1/include \
>      -L/opt/openssl/1.1/lib \
>      -Wl,-R,/opt/openssl/1.1/lib

I maintain a few Debian systems where 1.0.2 and the system 1.0.1
coexist solely based on so-names (I modified the 1.0.2 Makefile
to set a different version in the so-name).  Applications builds
(and thus headers) for the different versions are not on the same
machines, only the compiled binaries.

For this simplified scenario (only one set of headers etc. per system),
self-compiled OpenSSL simply goes in /usr/local with no use of Rpath.

Enjoy

Jakob

Re: openssl 1.0 and 1.1 co-exist

Ken Goldman-2
On 6/22/2017 7:05 AM, Jakob Bohm wrote:
> On 22/06/2017 04:31, Viktor Dukhovni wrote:
>> On Wed, Jun 21, 2017 at 01:44:34PM -0400, Ken Goldman wrote:
>>
>>> This is probably Linux specific ...
>>>
>>> Can both openssl versions co-exist on the same platform.  I know that
>>> the
>>> .so is versioned, but how about the header files?  Can I choose which
>>> library to build with?

I wasn't specific enough.

1 - ... using standard rpms, not a custom install
2 - ... building as well as executing
3 - ... just modifying the makefile to point to different headers and so

I.e., do the headers both go into /usr/include/openssl (which would clash)?

Do the .so's both have the same name - libcrypto.so?

It already works with a custom install and makefile.