(no subject)

Bob Mearns
I'm looking to generate a short digital signature, perhaps 192
bits or so, using an asymmetrical algorithm.  DSA seems to
have 320 bit signatures regardless of the key size used.  Is
this really the case, or am I missing something?  Ignoring for
the moment the wisdom of using signatures this short, is there
a way I can accomplish my goal of ~192 bit signatures?

Thanks in advance,
Bob

RE: 192 bit signatures

JoelKatz

> I'm looking to generate a short digital signature, perhaps 192
> bits or so, using an asymmetrical algorithm.  DSA seems to
> have 320 bit signatures regardless of the key size used.  Is
> this really the case, or am I missing something?  Ignoring for
> the moment the wisdom of using signatures this short, is there
> a way I can accomplish my goal of ~192 bit signatures?

        If you're concerned about detecting corruption but not concerned about
security, just use the SHA1 hash.

        If you're concerned about security but don't need public-key features, you
can use the SHA1 hash of the data preceded by a shared secret.

        If you're concerned about security and need 192-bit signatures with PK
features, AFAIK, you're out of luck. No known PK algorithm can be secure
with bit lengths that small.

        DS