new OpenSSL user looking for manuals

ffreitag

Hi,
I'm developing software that uses SHA384 and ECDSA in OpenSSL.

Is there any User's Manual or Programming Guide to show how to use it?

Thanks,

Fred Freitag

Re: new OpenSSL user looking for manuals

Larry Bugbee-2

On May 14, 2011, at 2:32 PM, [hidden email] wrote:
I'm developing software that uses SHA384 and ECDSA in OpenSSL.

Is there any User's Manual or Programming Guide to show how to use it?

Unless somebody has written something recently, arguably your best bet is 1) the O'Reilly OpenSSL book by Viega et al, ISBN 0-596-00270-X, and 2) to look at examples.

Re: new OpenSSL user looking for manuals

Larry Bugbee-2
[oops, hit send prematurely]

On May 14, 2011, at 2:32 PM, [hidden email] wrote:
I'm developing software that uses SHA384 and ECDSA in OpenSSL.

Is there any User's Manual or Programming Guide to show how to use it?

Unless somebody has written something recently, arguably your best bet is 1) the O'Reilly OpenSSL book by Viega et al, ISBN 0-596-00270-X, and 2) to look at examples.  Another is to pick something from http://www.openssl.org/docs/crypto/.  And another is to look at M2Crypto and pyTomCrypt.  While they are for Python, their examples and underlying code may be helpful.

Re: new OpenSSL user looking for manuals

ffreitag

Thanks.

The book was printed in june 2002 and I need the ECDSA per DSS IPSB 186-3

Fred

Larry Bugbee <[hidden email]>
Sent by: [hidden email]

05/14/2011 05:14 PM

Please respond to

cc
Subject

On May 14, 2011, at 2:32 PM, ffreitag@... wrote:
I'm developing software that uses SHA384 and ECDSA in OpenSSL.

Is there any User's Manual or Programming Guide to show how to use it?

Unless somebody has written something recently, arguably your best bet is 1) the O'Reilly OpenSSL book by Viega et al, ISBN 0-596-00270-X, and 2) to look at examples.  Another is to pick something from http://www.openssl.org/docs/crypto/.  And another is to look at M2Crypto and pyTomCrypt.  While they are for Python, their examples and underlying code may be helpful.

Re: new OpenSSL user looking for manuals

bradh (Bugzilla)
On Tuesday 17 May 2011 03:10:59 [hidden email] wrote:
> The book was printed in june 2002 and I need the ECDSA per DSS IPSB 186-3
That doesn't mean that you won't get the information you need. For example,
the EVP interface is generalised, so using it with SHA384 isn't really any
different to using it with MD5.

More recent books:
Moyle / Kelley "Cryptographic Libraries for Developers" Section 7 (Charles
River Media)
Viega and Messier "Secure Programming Cookbook for C and C++" (O'Reilly)

You may have already seen it, but I should point out there is a manual page
with examples for ECDSA (try "man ecdsa") that comes with openssl.
http://www.openssl.org/docs/crypto/ecdsa.html

HTH

Brad