make test failure on Intel-based mac

Mark Slater-2
I'm trying to build OpenSSL 0.9.7i on an Mac mini with the Intel Core
Duo chip in it, running MacOS X 10.4.5. My config line is:

        ./config threads shared zlib-dynamic --openssldir=/usr/local/openssl
--prefix=/usr/local

The build works fine, darwin-386 is correctly identified, but when I
run make test, I get a failure:

<=== snip ==>
../util/shlib_wrap.sh ./rsa_test
PKCS #1 v1.5 encryption/decryption ok
OAEP encryption/decryption ok
PKCS #1 v1.5 encryption/decryption ok
OAEP encryption/decryption ok
PKCS #1 v1.5 encryption/decryption ok
OAEP decryption (encrypted data) failed!
OAEP decryption (test vector data) failed!
PKCS #1 v1.5 encryption/decryption ok
OAEP encryption/decryption ok
PKCS #1 v1.5 encryption/decryption ok
OAEP encryption/decryption ok
PKCS #1 v1.5 encryption/decryption ok
OAEP decryption (encrypted data) failed!
OAEP decryption (test vector data) failed!
make[1]: *** [test_rsa] Error 1
make: *** [tests] Error 2

I would normally ignore this, except I'm having trouble running
apache 2.0.55 and subversion, both of which are using this version of
OpenSSL for their https implementations. In apache's case, it is able
to serve pages over http, but no clients can connect with https (I've
used the same process for making self-signed certificates I've used
for the past few years, and have never had any trouble on any OS
until now, essentially the instructions on the mod_ssl project FAQ).
In subversion's case, I get "SSL negotiation failed: SSL error: bad
signature" error messages trying to connect to our subversion server
with https, while I'm able to connect without issue on non-intel
based Macs.

Are there known issues with openssl 0.9.7i on Intel-based macs? I'm
not even sure where I'd begin tracking this down, but I'm very open
to suggestions.

Thanks,

Mark

PS. Details on the apache 2 errors can be found in a posting on the
httpd-users mailing list (which I sent before I realized subversion
had an issue also). http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=apache-httpd-
users&m=114254919516955&w=2

Re: make test failure on Intel-based mac - Caused by configure BUG

Mark Slater-2
After looking into the results others had (darwinports.org), I
discovered that the Openssl-0.9.7i Configure script is broken in that
it assumes Intel-based macs are big endian like all other macs, when
in fact they are little endian.

The original line is:

"darwin-i386-cc","cc:-O3 -fomit-frame-pointer -fno-common -
DB_ENDIAN::-D_REENTRANT:MACOSX::BN_LLONG RC4_CHAR RC4_CHUNK
DES_UNROLL BF_PTR:::::::::::darwin-shared:-fPIC::.\$(SHLIB_MAJOR).\$
(SHLIB_MINOR).dylib",

If it is changed to this, the "make test" works:

"darwin-i386-cc","cc:-O3 -fomit-frame-pointer -fno-common -
DL_ENDIAN::-D_REENTRANT:MACOSX::BN_LLONG RC4_CHAR RC4_CHUNK
DES_UNROLL BF_PTR:::::::::::darwin-shared:-fPIC::.\$(SHLIB_MAJOR).\$
(SHLIB_MINOR).dylib",

The only difference is in the -Dx_ENDIAN parameter. presumably the
issues I've been having related to SSL will also be fixed, though I
haven't tried compiling everything else yet.

If there's an openssl-0.9.7j, it would be nice if that configure line
could be fixed. This issue does not seem to affect openssl-0.9.8 (as
of the snapshot I downloaded a few days ago).

Thanks,

Mark

On Mar 17, 2006, at 3:59 PM, Mark Slater wrote:

> I'm trying to build OpenSSL 0.9.7i on an Mac mini with the Intel
> Core Duo chip in it, running MacOS X 10.4.5. My config line is:
>
> ./config threads shared zlib-dynamic --openssldir=/usr/local/
> openssl --prefix=/usr/local
>
> The build works fine, darwin-386 is correctly identified, but when
> I run make test, I get a failure:
>
> <=== snip ==>
> ../util/shlib_wrap.sh ./rsa_test
> PKCS #1 v1.5 encryption/decryption ok
> OAEP encryption/decryption ok
> PKCS #1 v1.5 encryption/decryption ok
> OAEP encryption/decryption ok
> PKCS #1 v1.5 encryption/decryption ok
> OAEP decryption (encrypted data) failed!
> OAEP decryption (test vector data) failed!
> PKCS #1 v1.5 encryption/decryption ok
> OAEP encryption/decryption ok
> PKCS #1 v1.5 encryption/decryption ok
> OAEP encryption/decryption ok
> PKCS #1 v1.5 encryption/decryption ok
> OAEP decryption (encrypted data) failed!
> OAEP decryption (test vector data) failed!
> make[1]: *** [test_rsa] Error 1
> make: *** [tests] Error 2
>
> I would normally ignore this, except I'm having trouble running
> apache 2.0.55 and subversion, both of which are using this version
> of OpenSSL for their https implementations. In apache's case, it is
> able to serve pages over http, but no clients can connect with
> https (I've used the same process for making self-signed
> certificates I've used for the past few years, and have never had
> any trouble on any OS until now, essentially the instructions on
> the mod_ssl project FAQ). In subversion's case, I get "SSL
> negotiation failed: SSL error: bad signature" error messages trying
> to connect to our subversion server with https, while I'm able to
> connect without issue on non-intel based Macs.
>
> Are there known issues with openssl 0.9.7i on Intel-based macs? I'm
> not even sure where I'd begin tracking this down, but I'm very open
> to suggestions.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Mark
>
> PS. Details on the apache 2 errors can be found in a posting on the
> httpd-users mailing list (which I sent before I realized subversion
> had an issue also). http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=apache-httpd-
> users&m=114254919516955&w=2

Re: make test failure on Intel-based mac - Caused by configure BUG

Ben Sandee
On 3/18/06, Mark Slater <[hidden email]> wrote:
After looking into the results others had (darwinports.org), I
discovered that the Openssl-0.9.7i Configure script is broken in that
it assumes Intel-based macs are big endian like all other macs, when
in fact they are little endian.

It seems that this is already fixed in the 0.9.7 stable snapshots.  I don't have an Intel mac to test on but the line no longer contains -DB_ENDIAN.

Ben

RE: make test failure on Intel-based mac

Ted Mittelstaedt

Build it with assembly language disabled.  I wouldn't put it past
Apple to have hashed up the linker in Darwin.  Or, better yet, use
the Apple-supplied gcc to bootstrap the latest gcc and binutils,
and build it with that.

Ted