libraries after the build for WIn platform

Previous Topic Next Topic
 
classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

libraries after the build for WIn platform

Ernst Maurer
hi 

I'm not using openssl daily , just need to build and link it with another library.
that lib requires libeay32.lib and ssleay32.lib. 
Are these  ones from OpenSSL distribution? 
I've tried two options:
1. download a few pre-built versions of the  binaries 
2. build own binaries from latest git

both cases don't contain these lib (and dll) files.
please assist

Rgds,
Ernst

--
openssl-users mailing list
To unsubscribe: https://mta.openssl.org/mailman/listinfo/openssl-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: libraries after the build for WIn platform

J. J. Farrell-2
I think this depends on what version of OpenSSL you're using and whether you're using static or dynamic libraries, none of which you mention. There were changes in library names in recent releases. Try reviewing the various NOTES, INSTALL, and README files for whichever version of OpenSSL you are working with.

Note also that there are substantial API changes between major releases of OpenSSL; if the thing you are building expects particular names for the static or import library files, that suggests it probably expects a particular API version (not the newest one if it's expecting those names). If you use whatever version of OpenSSL the other library is expecting, it should have files with the expected names.

Regards,
                            jjf

On 31/10/2016 11:41, Ernst Maurer wrote:
hi 

I'm not using openssl daily , just need to build and link it with another library.
that lib requires libeay32.lib and ssleay32.lib. 
Are these  ones from OpenSSL distribution? 
I've tried two options:
1. download a few pre-built versions of the  binaries 
2. build own binaries from latest git

both cases don't contain these lib (and dll) files.
please assist

Rgds,
Ernst

-- 
J. J. Farrell
Not speaking for Oracle.

--
openssl-users mailing list
To unsubscribe: https://mta.openssl.org/mailman/listinfo/openssl-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: libraries after the build for WIn platform

Ernst Maurer
Thank you for the reply,
I've tried to build dynamic version (import lib + dll) so I see the libs like:
openssl.lib
libcrypto.lib
capi.lib
and some other ones,

so do you mean that libeay32 and ssleay32 some depricated version ? and recommend me to go throu the git history for a looking for? (of course, I built from the head of git.)

P.S. I need this for the linking with Microsoft REST SDK (aka Casablanca)

Rgds,
Ernst

On Tue, Nov 1, 2016 at 7:30 AM Jeremy Farrell <[hidden email]> wrote:
I think this depends on what version of OpenSSL you're using and whether you're using static or dynamic libraries, none of which you mention. There were changes in library names in recent releases. Try reviewing the various NOTES, INSTALL, and README files for whichever version of OpenSSL you are working with.

Note also that there are substantial API changes between major releases of OpenSSL; if the thing you are building expects particular names for the static or import library files, that suggests it probably expects a particular API version (not the newest one if it's expecting those names). If you use whatever version of OpenSSL the other library is expecting, it should have files with the expected names.

Regards,
                            jjf

On 31/10/2016 11:41, Ernst Maurer wrote:
hi 

I'm not using openssl daily , just need to build and link it with another library.
that lib requires libeay32.lib and ssleay32.lib. 
Are these  ones from OpenSSL distribution? 
I've tried two options:
1. download a few pre-built versions of the  binaries 
2. build own binaries from latest git

both cases don't contain these lib (and dll) files.
please assist

Rgds,
Ernst

-- 
J. J. Farrell
Not speaking for Oracle.
--
openssl-users mailing list
To unsubscribe: https://mta.openssl.org/mailman/listinfo/openssl-users

--
openssl-users mailing list
To unsubscribe: https://mta.openssl.org/mailman/listinfo/openssl-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: libraries after the build for WIn platform

Kim Gräsman
Hi Ernst,

On Tue, Nov 1, 2016 at 10:25 AM, Ernst Maurer <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thank you for the reply,
> I've tried to build dynamic version (import lib + dll) so I see the libs
> like:
> openssl.lib
> libcrypto.lib
> capi.lib
> and some other ones,
>
> so do you mean that libeay32 and ssleay32 some depricated version ? and
> recommend me to go throu the git history for a looking for? (of course, I
> built from the head of git.)
>
> P.S. I need this for the linking with Microsoft REST SDK (aka Casablanca)

There are two generations of OpenSSL in flight at the moment:

- 1.0.2, the 'old' one. Libs are named libeay32.* and ssleay32.*
- 1.1.0, the 'new' one. Libs are named libcrypto*.* and libssl*.*

1.1.0 was released quite recently, so there's a good chance existing
clients are more compatible with 1.0.2.

We're building 1.0.2 from released source packages so I'm not sure
about the details, but if you have a git clone there should be a tag
or branch you could check out.

- Kim
--
openssl-users mailing list
To unsubscribe: https://mta.openssl.org/mailman/listinfo/openssl-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: libraries after the build for WIn platform

J. J. Farrell-2
In reply to this post by Ernst Maurer
I'd recommend using the official releases rather than the work-in-progress code at the head of git. Whoever looks after the library which needs OpenSSL should be able to tell you what version it needs, but from those names it's the 1.0.2 branch or earlier. 1.0.2 will be supported until the end of 2019, and its latest release is 1.0.2j. It's available from the downloads page at https://www.openssl.org/source/ and there may be built binary distributions available elsewhere.

Regards,
                      jjf

On 01/11/2016 09:25, Ernst Maurer wrote:
Thank you for the reply,
I've tried to build dynamic version (import lib + dll) so I see the libs like:
openssl.lib
libcrypto.lib
capi.lib
and some other ones,

so do you mean that libeay32 and ssleay32 some depricated version ? and recommend me to go throu the git history for a looking for? (of course, I built from the head of git.)

P.S. I need this for the linking with Microsoft REST SDK (aka Casablanca)

Rgds,
Ernst

On Tue, Nov 1, 2016 at 7:30 AM Jeremy Farrell <[hidden email]> wrote:
I think this depends on what version of OpenSSL you're using and whether you're using static or dynamic libraries, none of which you mention. There were changes in library names in recent releases. Try reviewing the various NOTES, INSTALL, and README files for whichever version of OpenSSL you are working with.

Note also that there are substantial API changes between major releases of OpenSSL; if the thing you are building expects particular names for the static or import library files, that suggests it probably expects a particular API version (not the newest one if it's expecting those names). If you use whatever version of OpenSSL the other library is expecting, it should have files with the expected names.

Regards,
                            jjf

On 31/10/2016 11:41, Ernst Maurer wrote:
hi 

I'm not using openssl daily , just need to build and link it with another library.
that lib requires libeay32.lib and ssleay32.lib. 
Are these  ones from OpenSSL distribution? 
I've tried two options:
1. download a few pre-built versions of the  binaries 
2. build own binaries from latest git

both cases don't contain these lib (and dll) files.
please assist

Rgds,
Ernst

-- 
J. J. Farrell
Not speaking for Oracle

--
openssl-users mailing list
To unsubscribe: https://mta.openssl.org/mailman/listinfo/openssl-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: libraries after the build for WIn platform

Ernst Maurer
In reply to this post by Kim Gräsman

Thank you!
That is clear.


вт, 01 ноя 2016 г., 12:47 Kim Gräsman <[hidden email]>:
Hi Ernst,

On Tue, Nov 1, 2016 at 10:25 AM, Ernst Maurer <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Thank you for the reply,
> I've tried to build dynamic version (import lib + dll) so I see the libs
> like:
> openssl.lib
> libcrypto.lib
> capi.lib
> and some other ones,
>
> so do you mean that libeay32 and ssleay32 some depricated version ? and
> recommend me to go throu the git history for a looking for? (of course, I
> built from the head of git.)
>
> P.S. I need this for the linking with Microsoft REST SDK (aka Casablanca)

There are two generations of OpenSSL in flight at the moment:

- 1.0.2, the 'old' one. Libs are named libeay32.* and ssleay32.*
- 1.1.0, the 'new' one. Libs are named libcrypto*.* and libssl*.*

1.1.0 was released quite recently, so there's a good chance existing
clients are more compatible with 1.0.2.

We're building 1.0.2 from released source packages so I'm not sure
about the details, but if you have a git clone there should be a tag
or branch you could check out.

- Kim
--
openssl-users mailing list
To unsubscribe: https://mta.openssl.org/mailman/listinfo/openssl-users

--
openssl-users mailing list
To unsubscribe: https://mta.openssl.org/mailman/listinfo/openssl-users