keyword QUIT

Stefan Walter-4
Dear OpenSSL Users,

how can i deactivate in OpenSSL to handle the keyword "quit"?

i dont want to stop my server connection if a client send the string "quit".

if i receive quit then the server give an output "recv: Success"and exit the application.

Kind Regards Stefan

Re: keyword QUIT

Victor Duchovni
On Wed, May 10, 2006 at 12:59:09PM +0400, Stefan Walter wrote:

> Dear OpenSSL Users,
>
> how can i deactivate in OpenSSL to handle the keyword "quit"?
>
> i dont want to stop my server connection if a client send the string "quit".
>
> if i receive quit then the server give an output "recv: Success"and exit the application.

s_client(1) is a demo application useful primarily for debugging. It is
not intended for production use. Perhaps you are looking for "stunnel".

Re: keyword QUIT

Stefan Walter-4
> On Wed, May 10, 2006 at 12:59:09PM +0400, Stefan Walter wrote:
>
>> Dear OpenSSL Users,
>>
>> how can i deactivate in OpenSSL to handle the keyword "quit"?
>>
>> i dont want to stop my server connection if a client send the string
>> "quit".
>>
>> if i receive quit then the server give an output "recv: Success"and exit
>> the application.
>
> s_client(1) is a demo application useful primarily for debugging. It is
> not intended for production use. Perhaps you are looking for "stunnel".
i dont use s_client(1). i wrote my own server, but if i send to this server
QUIT then the server exit by themself.

> --
> Viktor.

Re: keyword QUIT

Victor Duchovni
On Wed, May 10, 2006 at 06:23:34PM +0400, Stefan Walter wrote:

> >On Wed, May 10, 2006 at 12:59:09PM +0400, Stefan Walter wrote:
> >
> >>Dear OpenSSL Users,
> >>
> >>how can i deactivate in OpenSSL to handle the keyword "quit"?
> >>
> >>i dont want to stop my server connection if a client send the string
> >>"quit".
> >>
> >>if i receive quit then the server give an output "recv: Success"and exit
> >>the application.
> >
> >s_client(1) is a demo application useful primarily for debugging. It is
> >not intended for production use. Perhaps you are looking for "stunnel".
>
> I dont use s_client(1). I wrote my own server, but if I send to this server
> QUIT then the server exits by itself.

There is no QUIT keyword in the OpenSSL protocol.

RE: keyword QUIT

JoelKatz

> i dont use s_client(1). i wrote my own server, but if i send to
> this server
> QUIT then the server exit by themself.

        I'm not sure how we can find a problem in code that you wrote yourself and
don't tell us very much about. How exactly are you sending QUIT to the
server?

        DS

Re: keyword QUIT

Stefan Walter-4

>> i dont use s_client(1). i wrote my own server, but if i send to
>> this server
>> QUIT then the server exit by themself.
>
> I'm not sure how we can find a problem in code that you wrote yourself and
> don't tell us very much about. How exactly are you sending QUIT to the
> server?

I am sending ist by using a java client... connection.write("QUIT\n");
then automaticaly the server close the connection and exit himself. i didnt
implement this...

> DS

Re: keyword QUIT

Joseph Oreste Bruni

On May 10, 2006, at 11:05 PM, Stefan Walter wrote:

>>> i dont use s_client(1). i wrote my own server, but if i send to
>>> this server
>>> QUIT then the server exit by themself.
>>
>> I'm not sure how we can find a problem in code that you wrote
>> yourself and
>> don't tell us very much about. How exactly are you sending QUIT to
>> the
>> server?
>
> I am sending ist by using a java client... connection.write("QUIT\n");
> then automaticaly the server close the connection and exit himself.
> i didnt implement this...
OpenSSL doesn't respond to "QUIT" so your server must be doing it.
Perhaps your server is actually crashing due to an assumption on the
amount of data that might be received in a single block(e.g. server
expects 10 bytes and crashes due to a buffer underrun). I'm just
guessing here.

You'll need to spend some time debugging your server. As pointed out
by others, it's hard for us to help you without seeing your code.

Re: keyword QUIT

Marek.Marcola
Hello,

> >> I'm not sure how we can find a problem in code that you wrote
> >> yourself and
> >> don't tell us very much about. How exactly are you sending QUIT to
> >> the
> >> server?
> >
> > I am sending ist by using a java client... connection.write("QUIT\n");
> > then automaticaly the server close the connection and exit himself.
> > i didnt implement this...
>
> OpenSSL doesn't respond to "QUIT" so your server must be doing it.
> Perhaps your server is actually crashing due to an assumption on the
> amount of data that might be received in a single block(e.g. server
> expects 10 bytes and crashes due to a buffer underrun). I'm just
> guessing here.
>
> You'll need to spend some time debugging your server. As pointed out
> by others, it's hard for us to help you without seeing your code.
s_client and s_server "understand" 'Q' (for quit) and 'R' (for
renegotiate). So if you build your server using code from s_server
(especially function sv_body() from s_server.c)  ...
s_server and s_client understand 'Q', 'Qsomething', 'R' so if
you send from client these strings (for test) and your server
will close connection than you have to check server code.
For test client (which may close connection too) you may
connect to any ssl server (https) and send something like:
        GET / HTTP/1.1<enter>
        QUIT<enter>
        Host: abc <enter>

these have no sense in HTTP protocol but if your client
"understands" QUIT you will be disconnected after second
<enter> if not, after third one you will get errors from http server.
Just for test.

Best regards,
--
Marek Marcola <[hidden email]>