index.txt file 'update'

Artem Harutyunyan

 Hi,

I have issued a certificate which expired a while ago.
Now, when I try to sign certificate request (with the same DN)
openssl reports the following error:
____
ERROR:There is already a certificate for '/C=AM/O=kuku/CN=mumu'
____

It reports that certificate with such DN already exists.
Problem disappears after manually changing corresponding 'V' to 'E' in
index.txt file.
I wonder weather it is correct to change index.txt by hand ? Is there
any command which 'updates' (I mean changes 'V' to 'E') necessary entries
in index.txt ?

Many thanks in advance,
Artem.