how can I read .pod files?

Chen Talos
Hello everybody,
  I'm Talos. I recently have a project to do which is based on OpenSSL. So
I downloaded it and have installed it. But when I want to read the
documents of it, I found the documents have a 'pod' extension which I don't
know. Can anybody tell me something about this type of file? Thanks in
advance.

Re: how can I read .pod files?

Georg Lohrer-6
Hi Chen,

On Sa, 04 Mär 2006, Chen Talos wrote:

> Hello everybody,
>  I'm Talos. I recently have a project to do which is based on OpenSSL. So
> I downloaded it and have installed it. But when I want to read the
> documents of it, I found the documents have a 'pod' extension which I don't
> know. Can anybody tell me something about this type of file? Thanks in
> advance.

The pod-format is the shortcut of (Perl Online Documentation). That means
that these file could be easily adopted and used for Perl-scripts as
online-documentation. There are several tools to convert POD-format to other
formats, see pod2html, pod2man, pod2latex, pod2text, and pod2usage.
For further details see the 'man perlpod'.
And, of course, the pod-format is a quite easy to understand plain-text
format. So you could simply read the pod-files directly with your favourite
pager or editor.

Ciao, Georg

Re: how can I read .pod files?

Chen Talos

>From: Georg Lohrer <[hidden email]>
>To: [hidden email]
>Subject: Re: how can I read .pod files?
>Date: Sat, 4 Mar 2006 11:52:33 +0100
>
>Hi Chen,
>
>On Sa, 04 M�r 2006, Chen Talos wrote:
>
> > Hello everybody,
> >  I'm Talos. I recently have a project to do which is based on OpenSSL.
So
> > I downloaded it and have installed it. But when I want to read the
> > documents of it, I found the documents have a 'pod' extension which I
don't
> > know. Can anybody tell me something about this type of file? Thanks in
> > advance.
>
>The pod-format is the shortcut of (Perl Online Documentation). That means
>that these file could be easily adopted and used for Perl-scripts as
>online-documentation. There are several tools to convert POD-format to
other
>formats, see pod2html, pod2man, pod2latex, pod2text, and pod2usage.
>For further details see the 'man perlpod'.
>And, of course, the pod-format is a quite easy to understand plain-text
>format. So you could simply read the pod-files directly with your
favourite
>pager or editor.
>
>Ciao, Georg
>Automated List Manager                           [hidden email]

Thanks, Georg. But there's another problem, the OS I am currently using is
Microsoft Windows, not a POSIX. So besides 'man perlpod', is there any
other way to get this infomation?

Re: how can I read .pod files?

Georg Lohrer-6
On Sa, 04 Mär 2006, Chen Talos wrote:

> Thanks, Georg. But there's another problem, the OS I am currently using is
> Microsoft Windows, not a POSIX. So besides 'man perlpod', is there any
> other way to get this infomation?

perlpod should be usually a part of a simple Perl-environment. So you could
give ActivePerl (http://www.activeperl.com) a chance on MS-Windows. I'm not
familiar with development outside of VC on MS-platforms (my world is more
embedded and *nix :-) )

Or get your desired information directly out of the plain-text pod-files if
you are only interested in the gory details.

Ciao, Georg

Re: how can I read .pod files?

Chen Talos
OK, I will try it. Thank you very much.