genpkey for ed25519

Robert Moskowitz
Here we go again with figuring out what to put in the command lines.
Dr. Google is not giving up enough answers.

For ecdsa I started with:

openssl genpkey -aes256 -algorithm ec\
  -pkeyopt ec_paramgen_curve:prime256v1\
  -outform pem -pkeyopt ec_param_enc:named_curve\
  -out $dir/private/ca.key.pem

I found one reference that I should use -algorithm ed25519 (though the
example used caps: ED25519)

But I have not found recommendation for ec_parmgen_curve or ec_param_enc

Can someone point me to the information on values for these (and I
suspect I will be hitting others as I go).

thanks

Re: genpkey for ed25519

Tomas Mraz-2
On Fri, 2018-07-27 at 09:44 -0400, Robert Moskowitz wrote:

> Here we go again with figuring out what to put in the command
> lines.
> Dr. Google is not giving up enough answers.
>
> For ecdsa I started with:
>
> openssl genpkey -aes256 -algorithm ec\
>   -pkeyopt ec_paramgen_curve:prime256v1\
>   -outform pem -pkeyopt ec_param_enc:named_curve\
>   -out $dir/private/ca.key.pem
>
> I found one reference that I should use -algorithm ed25519 (though
> the
> example used caps: ED25519)

Yes, it is case insensitive.

> But I have not found recommendation for ec_parmgen_curve or
> ec_param_enc
>
> Can someone point me to the information on values for these (and I
> suspect I will be hitting others as I go).

Just do not use these options.

--
Tomáš Mráz
                                              Turkish proverb

Re: genpkey for ed25519

Matt Caswell-2

On 27/07/18 15:04, Tomas Mraz wrote:

> On Fri, 2018-07-27 at 09:44 -0400, Robert Moskowitz wrote:
>> Here we go again with figuring out what to put in the command
>> lines.
>> Dr. Google is not giving up enough answers.
>>
>> For ecdsa I started with:
>>
>> openssl genpkey -aes256 -algorithm ec\
>>   -pkeyopt ec_paramgen_curve:prime256v1\
>>   -outform pem -pkeyopt ec_param_enc:named_curve\
>>   -out $dir/private/ca.key.pem
>>
>> I found one reference that I should use -algorithm ed25519 (though
>> the
>> example used caps: ED25519)
>
> Yes, it is case insensitive.
>
>> But I have not found recommendation for ec_parmgen_curve or
>> ec_param_enc
>>
>> Can someone point me to the information on values for these (and I
>> suspect I will be hitting others as I go).
>
> Just do not use these options.

Just to add to this, the genpkey documentation gives an example for
X25519 and ED448. Its the same for ED25519:

https://www.openssl.org/docs/manmaster/man1/genpkey.html