empty directory in the 1.1.1 series release tags

empty directory in the 1.1.1 series release tags

Quanah Gibson-Mount
The OpenSSL release tags contain an empty directory "krb5" that does not
exist in the release tarball.  This is annoying because when I go to merge
release tags, I constantly get the following:

CONFLICT (modify/delete): krb5 deleted in HEAD and modified in
OpenSSL_1_1_1e. Version OpenSSL_1_1_1e of krb5 left in tree.

Can this please be fixed?

Thanks!

--Quanah

--

Quanah Gibson-Mount
Product Architect
<http://www.symas.com>

Re: empty directory in the 1.1.1 series release tags

OpenSSL - User mailing list
On Tue, Apr 21, 2020 at 10:08:39AM -0700, Quanah Gibson-Mount wrote:
> The OpenSSL release tags contain an empty directory "krb5" that does not
> exist in the release tarball.  This is annoying because when I go to merge
> release tags, I constantly get the following:
>
> CONFLICT (modify/delete): krb5 deleted in HEAD and modified in
> OpenSSL_1_1_1e. Version OpenSSL_1_1_1e of krb5 left in tree.
>
> Can this please be fixed?

The 'krb5' entry in git is a submodule, used for the external tests.
It's removed while preparing release tarballs, but I'm not sure what
you are doing that's causing conflicts -- are you doing something that
involves both tarballs and git?

-Ben

Re: empty directory in the 1.1.1 series release tags

Quanah Gibson-Mount
--On Tuesday, April 21, 2020 11:16 AM -0700 Benjamin Kaduk
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> The 'krb5' entry in git is a submodule, used for the external tests.
> It's removed while preparing release tarballs, but I'm not sure what
> you are doing that's causing conflicts -- are you doing something that
> involves both tarballs and git?

I use the git release tags, not the tarballs.

--Quanah

--

Quanah Gibson-Mount
Product Architect
<http://www.symas.com>

On Tue, Apr 21, 2020 at 10:19:28AM -0700, Quanah Gibson-Mount wrote:
> --On Tuesday, April 21, 2020 11:16 AM -0700 Benjamin Kaduk
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > The 'krb5' entry in git is a submodule, used for the external tests.
> > It's removed while preparing release tarballs, but I'm not sure what
> > you are doing that's causing conflicts -- are you doing something that
> > involves both tarballs and git?
>
> I use the git release tags, not the tarballs.

Can't you just leave the empty directory in your local branch and not
have a conflict, then?

-Ben

Re: empty directory in the 1.1.1 series release tags

Norm Green
 >I use the git release tags, not the tarballs.

I do too, and I suspect many others do as well.
The empty krb5 directory has not caused grief for me, but it would be
nice if the git release tag directory structure matched the tarball.

Norm Green

On 4/21/2020 10:19 AM, Quanah Gibson-Mount wrote:

> --On Tuesday, April 21, 2020 11:16 AM -0700 Benjamin Kaduk
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> The 'krb5' entry in git is a submodule, used for the external tests.
>> It's removed while preparing release tarballs, but I'm not sure what
>> you are doing that's causing conflicts -- are you doing something that
>> involves both tarballs and git?
>
> I use the git release tags, not the tarballs.
>
> --Quanah
>

> --
>
> Quanah Gibson-Mount
> Product Architect
> Symas Corporation
> Packaged, certified, and supported LDAP solutions powered by OpenLDAP:
> <http://www.symas.com>

Re: empty directory in the 1.1.1 series release tags

Quanah Gibson-Mount

--On Tuesday, April 21, 2020 11:25 AM -0700 Norm Green
<[hidden email]> wrote:

>  >I use the git release tags, not the tarballs.
>
> I do too, and I suspect many others do as well.
> The empty krb5 directory has not caused grief for me, but it would be
> nice if the git release tag directory structure matched the tarball.

I ended up doing a git rm on the krb5 dir, and then the rest of the tags
all went in fine (I was last on 1.1.1d).  But I agree, overall I would
expect the release tags to match the release tarballs.

--Quanah

--

Quanah Gibson-Mount
Product Architect
<http://www.symas.com>

Re: empty directory in the 1.1.1 series release tags

Richard Levitte - VMS Whacker-2
On Tue, 21 Apr 2020 19:55:41 +0200,
Quanah Gibson-Mount wrote:

> --On Tuesday, April 21, 2020 11:25 AM -0700 Norm Green
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> >  >I use the git release tags, not the tarballs.
> >
> > I do too, and I suspect many others do as well.
> > The empty krb5 directory has not caused grief for me, but it would be
> > nice if the git release tag directory structure matched the tarball.
>
> I ended up doing a git rm on the krb5 dir, and then the rest of the
> tags all went in fine (I was last on 1.1.1d).  But I agree, overall I
> would expect the release tags to match the release tarballs.

To be a bit blunt, that's simply not reasonable.  There are a number
of files and directories, not the least diverse git related files,
that are never going to make it into the tarball.

Have a look at .gitattributes, you have a number of patterns there
with the attribute 'export-ignore'.  Those are files that don't make
it into the tarball.

Cheers,
Richard

--