creating Master-Key for encryption/decryption

creating Master-Key for encryption/decryption

krishnamurthy santhanam

I have more than 100 clients that will connect to my server and communicate the data. I am implementing SSL on server side to authenticate the client certificate(X.509) and also client will authenticate the servers certificate. Once the mutual authentication has completed I have to generate master key for encryption and decryption.  I am going to use AES for encryption and decryption.

 I had generated the client and server certificates using the bellow commands and signed by the root,

1. CLIENT CERTIFICATE:

openssl req -newkey rsa:1024 -sha1 -keyout clientkey.pem -out clientreq.pem

openssl x509 -req -in clientreq.pem -sha1 -extfile openssl.cnf  -extensions usr_cert -CA rootcert.pem  -CAkey rootkey.pem -CAcreateserial   -out clientcert.pem

cat clientkey.pem  clientcert.pem rootcert.pem > client.pem

openssl x509  -subject -issuer -noout -in client.pem

2. SERVER CERTIFICATE:

openssl req -newkey rsa:1024 -sha1 -keyout serverkey.pem -out serverreq.pem

openssl x509 -req -in serverreq.pem -sha1 -extfile openssl.cnf  -extensions usr_

cert -CA rootcert.pem  -CAkey rootkey.pem -CAcreateserial   -out servercert.pem

cat serverkey.pem  servercert.pem rootcert.pem > server.pem

openssl x509  -subject -issuer -noout -in server.pem

3. ROOT CERTIFICATE:

openssl req -newkey rsa:1024 -sha1 -keyout rootkey.pem -out rootreq.pem

openssl x509 -req -in rootreq.pem -sha1 -extfile root.cnf -extensions v3_ca -sig

nkey rootkey.pem -out rootcert.pem

cat rootcert.pem rootkey.pem  > root.pem

openssl x509  -subject -issuer -noout -in root.pem

Initially I  am writing ssl/tls programming for server and client. In this I am able to communicate the data between client and server.

I was struck on master key generation, I have added the below LOC to programs to get MASTER KEY,

printf("session A\n");

SSL_SESSION *session = SSL_get_session(ssl);

SSL_SESSION_print(out, session);

It is printing like this ,

 session A

SSL-Session:

    Protocol  : TLSv1

    Cipher    : AES256-SHA

    Session-ID: 9FCE46513DD74882D3FF0E0E84CC4A6BE12192B65C426E0B27D0FA15F81D7D5E

    Session-ID-ctx:

    Master-Key: 56F90B0D90DEB3430207A74793C9B6565744E06ECA191D9DFA04C29B1EE2B782

6B602878597465F739AD69091DDF6499

    Key-Arg   : None

    Krb5 Principal: None

   Compression: 1 (zlib compression)

    Start Time: 1314015355

    Timeout   : 7200 (sec)

Is this the Master key for both the server and client?

Is this the key that should be used for the encryption in client side and decryption in server side?

If this is the Master key how can I extract the key?

Please guide me if I understood anything wrong.

Re: creating Master-Key for encryption/decryption

Gayathri Sundar-3
Please read the RFC, it would clearly explain how the master secret is dervied, and from that how the read and write keys are derived. With that you can get to know how to extract the read n write keys. Meanwhile the read and wirte keys are available as part of the ssl object.
Check that structure out.

Thanks
--Gayathri

On Mon, Aug 22, 2011 at 10:24 AM, krishnamurthy santhanam <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Thanks. I gone through the RFC 2246 and understood the Master key generation part. The Master key is generated and able to print the client side(test C program) using ssl strucure.

printf("session A\n");

SSL_SESSION *session = SSL_get_session(ssl);

SSL_SESSION_print(out, session);

for (i=0; i<(unsigned int)session->master_key_length; i++)
        {
        BIO_printf(bp,"%02X",session->master_key[i]) );
        }

How i can get the same Master key in server side?

in my scenario, server side program is running in C. JDBC clients will establish the connection to the server. will the same Mester key generated in the cross platforms(JDBC client side)?

Any help will be great.

Thanks for your time,

Krishnamurthy

On Mon, Aug 22, 2011 at 9:03 PM, Gayathri Sundar <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Erik Tkal

I’m not sure you are understanding this.  Both sides derive the same master key, so there is no need to send it.  After the handshake the SSL code will use that key to generate specific encryption keys and perform encryption of further traffic through the tunnel.  If you are only using the handshake to generate the master key to be used elsewhere (e.g. for proprietary encryption), then you can get it from the SSL_SESSION object (not sure if there’s a get method).

Erik Tkal
Juniper OAC/UAC/Pulse Development

Re: creating Master-Key for encryption/decryption

Gayathri Sundar-3
I think the problem this person seem to have is not finding a way to extract the master secret on the client side, which is why I suggested he can send it as a payload from  the server as part of the app data, since its the exactly the same. Also, krishna, pls understand that the master secret is not used for eny/dec, its used to derive the actualy auth and enc keys using specific methods as mentioned in the RFC. These keys are unique per connection  basis, mixed by some randoms. The master secret is unique for a session. A session can contain many connections each represented by a SSL OBJ, and the enc/dec keys are different for every connection, which can be obtained from the SSL OBJ.

Please understand TLS as such from the RFC.

Thanks
--Gayathri