configure results in conflicting CRT switches for win DLL

configure results in conflicting CRT switches for win DLL

Michel

Hi,

Just to let you know that conflicting CRT switches are produced when configure for Windows DLL :

cl : Command line warning D9025 : overriding '/MD' with '/MT'

(and ct_test.exe can't be linked)

Regards.

Re: configure results in conflicting CRT switches for win DLL

Michel

Hi,

As per my previous post, this is still the case with OpenSSL version 1.1.0 pre release 4.

The configure script generate the ntdll.mak file containing CFLAG* with conflicting CRT switches.

Re: configure results in conflicting CRT switches for win DLL

Richard Levitte - VMS Whacker-2
The Configure script generates 'makefile', not 'ntdll.mak'.  Are you
sure you haven't confused things?  Could you please show us the exact
commands you used from configuration to making?

Cheers,
Richard

In message <001b01d17fcd$109d9100$31d8b300$@[hidden email]> on Wed, 16 Mar 2016 22:44:48 +0100, "Michel" <[hidden email]> said:

michel.sales> Hi,
michel.sales>
michel.sales> As per my previous post, this is still the case with OpenSSL version
michel.sales> 1.1.0 pre release 4.
michel.sales>
michel.sales> The configure script generate the ntdll.mak file containing CFLAG*
michel.sales> with conflicting CRT switches.
michel.sales>
michel.sales> De : openssl-dev [mailto:[hidden email]] De la part
michel.sales> de Michel
michel.sales> Envoyé : mardi 15 mars 2016 15:34
michel.sales> À : [hidden email]
michel.sales> Objet : [openssl-dev] configure results in conflicting CRT switches
michel.sales> for win DLL
michel.sales>
michel.sales> Hi,
michel.sales>
michel.sales> Just to let you know that conflicting CRT switches are produced when
michel.sales> configure for Windows DLL :
michel.sales>
michel.sales> cl : Command line warning D9025 : overriding '/MD' with '/MT'
michel.sales>
michel.sales> (and ct_test.exe can't be linked)
michel.sales>
michel.sales> Regards.
michel.sales>

Re: configure results in conflicting CRT switches for win DLL

Michel
Hi Richard,

I believe I am just doing what I read in the 'NOTES.WIN' file :

     PERL Configure ... VC-WIN32 --classic --prefix=...
     CALL ms\do_nasm
     nmake -f ms\ntdll.mak
     nmake -f ms\ntdll.mak install

And each time I got a new nt[dll].mak file.

I first missed the '--classic' option, but not since I reported this.
Did I miss something else ?

Regards,

Michel.

Re: configure results in conflicting CRT switches for win DLL

Richard Levitte - VMS Whacker-2
I can't reproduce what you're getting, but tell you what, if you send
me these two files, I can try to figure out what's going on:

    configdata.pm
    ms\ntdll.mak

In message <005501d17fdb$58d73800$0a85a800$@[hidden email]> on Thu, 17 Mar 2016 00:27:03 +0100, "Michel" <[hidden email]> said:

michel.sales> Hi Richard,
michel.sales>
michel.sales> I believe I am just doing what I read in the 'NOTES.WIN' file :
michel.sales>
michel.sales>      PERL Configure ... VC-WIN32 --classic --prefix=...
michel.sales>      CALL ms\do_nasm
michel.sales>      nmake -f ms\ntdll.mak
michel.sales>      nmake -f ms\ntdll.mak install
michel.sales>
michel.sales> And each time I got a new nt[dll].mak file.
michel.sales>
michel.sales> I first missed the '--classic' option, but not since I reported this.
michel.sales> Did I miss something else ?
michel.sales>
michel.sales> Regards,
michel.sales>
michel.sales> Michel.
michel.sales>
michel.sales> -----Message d'origine-----
michel.sales> De : openssl-dev [mailto:[hidden email]] De la part de
michel.sales> Richard Levitte
michel.sales> Envoyé : mercredi 16 mars 2016 23:37
michel.sales> À : [hidden email]
michel.sales> Objet : Re: [openssl-dev] configure results in conflicting CRT switches for
michel.sales> win DLL
michel.sales>
michel.sales> The Configure script generates 'makefile', not 'ntdll.mak'.  Are you sure
michel.sales> you haven't confused things?  Could you please show us the exact commands
michel.sales> you used from configuration to making?
michel.sales>
michel.sales> Cheers,
michel.sales> Richard
michel.sales>
michel.sales>
michel.sales> --
michel.sales> openssl-dev mailing list
michel.sales> To unsubscribe: https://mta.openssl.org/mailman/listinfo/openssl-dev
michel.sales>

Re: configure results in conflicting CRT switches for win DLL

Michel
I just would like to add that, for me,
'CALL ms\do_nasm'
is part of the 'configure scripts'.

Please excuse my poor english,

Michel

Re: configure results in conflicting CRT switches for win DLL

Michel
Hi Richard,

Looks like my answer, with the files attached, is waiting for approval.

Regards.

I can't reproduce what you're getting, but tell you what, if you send me
these two files, I can try to figure out what's going on:

    configdata.pm
    ms\ntdll.mak

config.dll.out (2K) Download Attachment
configdata.pm (6K) Download Attachment
nt.mak (151K) Download Attachment
ntdll.mak (170K) Download Attachment

Re: configure results in conflicting CRT switches for win DLL

Richard Levitte - VMS Whacker-2
After having looked an extra time, I'd like to recommend using the new
style build scheme, or in other words:

    perl Configure no-rc2 no-rc5 no-md2 no-md4 no-ssl3 no-comp no-hw no-heartbeats no-deprecated VC-WIN32 shared --prefix=c:\OpenSSL_DLL
    nmake

I know that "install" is missing, I plan on adding it today.

Cheers,
Richard

In message <005c01d17fde$7d8bb470$78a31d50$@[hidden email]> on Thu, 17 Mar 2016 00:49:32 +0100, "Michel" <[hidden email]> said:

michel.sales> I just would like to add that, for me,
michel.sales> 'CALL ms\do_nasm'
michel.sales> is part of the 'configure scripts'.
michel.sales>
michel.sales> Please excuse my poor english,
michel.sales>
michel.sales> Michel
michel.sales>
michel.sales>
michel.sales> -----Message d'origine-----
michel.sales> De : openssl-dev [mailto:[hidden email]] De la part de
michel.sales> Richard Levitte
michel.sales> Envoyé : mercredi 16 mars 2016 23:37
michel.sales> À : [hidden email]
michel.sales> Objet : Re: [openssl-dev] configure results in conflicting CRT switches for
michel.sales> win DLL
michel.sales>
michel.sales> The Configure script generates 'makefile', not 'ntdll.mak'.  Are you
michel.sales> sure you haven't confused things?
michel.sales>
michel.sales> Cheers,
michel.sales> Richard
michel.sales>
michel.sales> --
michel.sales> openssl-dev mailing list
michel.sales> To unsubscribe: https://mta.openssl.org/mailman/listinfo/openssl-dev
michel.sales>

Re: configure results in conflicting CRT switches for win DLL

Michel
Well, I am not lucky !

For once that documentation exists and was recently updated, it is not
accurate :-(
I saw that '--classic' was temporary, but I did not realize that an
alternative build scheme was already there for Windows.
You cannot imagine how many times I have manually modified the ms\*.mak
files in order to achieve a successfull build process...

Thanks Richard.

Re: configure results in conflicting CRT switches for win DLL

Richard Levitte - VMS Whacker-2
In message <000601d1802c$0c6f4470$254dcd50$@[hidden email]> on Thu, 17 Mar 2016 10:04:43 +0100, "Michel" <[hidden email]> said:

michel.sales> Well, I am not lucky !
michel.sales>
michel.sales> For once that documentation exists and was recently updated, it is not
michel.sales> accurate :-(

Uhmmmm...  the most up to date and accurate is in INSTALL.

michel.sales> I saw that '--classic' was temporary, but I did not realize that an
michel.sales> alternative build scheme was already there for Windows.

Ah, well, it is and has been for some time now.  Sorry that got past
you.  As a matter of fact, '--classic' is the "alternative" build
scheme, or rather a fallback to the old (and obviously rotting in the
Windows case).

michel.sales> You cannot imagine how many times I have manually modified the ms\*.mak
michel.sales> files in order to achieve a successfull build process...

Sorry about that.  The places to look nowadays are
Configurations\*.conf and Configurations\windows-makefile.tmpl...  oh,
and all the build.info files.

michel.sales> Thanks Richard.
michel.sales>
michel.sales> -----Message d'origine-----
michel.sales> De : openssl-dev [mailto:[hidden email]] De la part de
michel.sales> Richard Levitte
michel.sales> Envoyé : jeudi 17 mars 2016 08:38
michel.sales> À : [hidden email]
michel.sales> Objet : Re: [openssl-dev] configure results in conflicting CRT switches for
michel.sales> win DLL
michel.sales>
michel.sales> After having looked an extra time, I'd like to recommend using the new style
michel.sales> build scheme, or in other words:
michel.sales>
michel.sales>     perl Configure no-rc2 no-rc5 no-md2 no-md4 no-ssl3 no-comp no-hw
michel.sales> no-heartbeats no-deprecated VC-WIN32 shared --prefix=c:\OpenSSL_DLL
michel.sales>     nmake
michel.sales>
michel.sales> I know that "install" is missing, I plan on adding it today.
michel.sales>
michel.sales> Cheers,
michel.sales> Richard
michel.sales> https://mta.openssl.org/mailman/listinfo/openssl-dev
michel.sales>
michel.sales> --
michel.sales> openssl-dev mailing list
michel.sales> To unsubscribe: https://mta.openssl.org/mailman/listinfo/openssl-dev
michel.sales>

Re: configure results in conflicting CRT switches for win DLL

Michel
Hello again Richard,

And thanks for your help and answers.
but as I said, I am not lucky at all :-(

Hope I am not again missing something, I would not be particularly proud to
win the trophy of the dumbest user on this list ;-)

Doing :
PERL Configure no-rc2 no-rc5 no-md2 no-md4 no-ssl3 no-comp no-hw
no-heartbeats no-deprecated VC-WIN32 shared --prefix=c:\OpenSSL_DLL
nmake

I get :
perl util\mkdef.pl "crypto" 32 > libcrypto-1_1.def
perl -i.tmp -pe "s|^LIBRARY\s+crypto32|LIBRARY libcrypto-1_1|;"
libcrypto-1_1.def
DEL libcrypto-1_1.def.tmp
link /nologo /debug /dll  /implib:libcrypto.lib /out:libcrypto-1_1.dll
/def:libcrypto-1_1.def @C:\Users\Papou\AppData\Local\Temp\nm4B1D.tmp
libcrypto-1_1.def : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol COMP_CTX_free
libcrypto-1_1.def : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol
COMP_CTX_get_method
libcrypto-1_1.def : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol
COMP_CTX_get_type
libcrypto-1_1.def : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol COMP_CTX_new
libcrypto-1_1.def : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol
COMP_compress_block
libcrypto-1_1.def : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol
COMP_expand_block
libcrypto-1_1.def : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol COMP_get_name
libcrypto-1_1.def : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol COMP_get_type
libcrypto-1_1.def : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol COMP_zlib
libcrypto-1_1.def : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol
COMP_zlib_cleanup
libcrypto-1_1.def : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol
ERR_load_COMP_strings
libcrypto.lib : fatal error LNK1120: 11 unresolved externals
NMAKE : fatal error U1077: '"C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio
12.0\VC\BIN\link.EXE"' : return code '0x460'
Stop.

And removing no-comp, I get (after nmake clean) :

link /nologo /debug /dll /out:engines\padlock.dll
/def:C:\Users\Papou\AppData\Local\Temp\nm5FB9.tmp
@C:\Users\Papou\AppData\Local\Temp\nm5FBA.tmp
nm5FB9.tmp : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol bind_engine
nm5FB9.tmp : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol v_check
engines\padlock.lib : fatal error LNK1120: 2 unresolved externals
NMAKE : fatal error U1077: '"C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio
12.0
\VC\BIN\link.EXE"' : return code '0x460'
Stop.

Re: configure results in conflicting CRT switches for win DLL

Matt Caswell-2

On 17/03/16 09:56, Michel wrote:

> Hello again Richard,
>
> And thanks for your help and answers.
> but as I said, I am not lucky at all :-(
>
> Hope I am not again missing something, I would not be particularly proud to
> win the trophy of the dumbest user on this list ;-)
>
> Doing :
> PERL Configure no-rc2 no-rc5 no-md2 no-md4 no-ssl3 no-comp no-hw
> no-heartbeats no-deprecated VC-WIN32 shared --prefix=c:\OpenSSL_DLL
> nmake
Looks like some of these options are broken on Windows. Try the attached
patch.

fix-config-opts.patch (12K) Download Attachment

Re: configure results in conflicting CRT switches for win DLL

Michel
> Looks like some of these options are broken on Windows.

Ouf,
In some ways, that's good to hear.
:-)
I tried the patch and I was able to build the shared, debug and release
version of OpenSSL 1.1.
I was able to fully appreciate the new build system.

Thanks Matt, merci bien Richard,

Michel.