compile opensll with -d option

Stefan Vatev
I'm struggling in compiling the openssl with the debug
option. As it's written in the INSTALL file I type in
./config -d
The last line of the output is : "Configured for
debug-linux-elf", so I think it's configured well.
The error i get when I try to make it is :
"/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lefence
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[2]: *** [link_app.] Error 1
make[1]: *** [openssl] Error 2
make: *** [build_apps] Error 1"

It's apparent that libefence.so or something like that is
missing.
Any suggetions will be appreciated.

P.S. I'm using Debian Sarge
and gcc -v outputs:
"Reading specs from /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i486-linux/3.3.5/specs
Configured with: ../src/configure -v
--enable-languages=c,c++,java,f77,pascal,objc,ada,treelang
--prefix=/usr --mandir=/usr/share/man
--infodir=/usr/share/info
--with-gxx-include-dir=/usr/include/c++/3.3 --enable-shared
--enable-__cxa_atexit --with-system-zlib --enable-nls
--without-included-gettext --enable-clocale=gnu
--enable-debug --enable-java-gc=boehm
--enable-java-awt=xlib --enable-objc-gc i486-linux
Thread model: posix
gcc version 3.3.5 (Debian 1:3.3.5-13)"

Re: compile opensll with -d option

Nils Larsch
Stefan Vatev wrote:

> I'm struggling in compiling the openssl with the debug
> option. As it's written in the INSTALL file I type in
> ./config -d
> The last line of the output is : "Configured for
> debug-linux-elf", so I think it's configured well.
> The error i get when I try to make it is :
> "/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lefence
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> make[2]: *** [link_app.] Error 1
> make[1]: *** [openssl] Error 2
> make: *** [build_apps] Error 1"
>
> It's apparent that libefence.so or something like that is
> missing.
> Any suggetions will be appreciated.

well, what about installing libefence ;-)

Cheers,
Nils

Re: compile opensll with -d option

Stefan Vatev

Well, it seems that efence stands for Electric Fence Malloc
Debugger by Bruce Perens.
The problem was that I searched for the deb package efence,
not for electric-fence. (Sometimes  I feel stupid...)

Now everythiing seems OK. I suppose it's not a bad idea to
put a note in the INSTALL file that for the -d option
electric fence lib is required.

P.S. Now libcrypto.a is more than 16 megs!