comment on donations

Steve Marquess-3
In a typical year the OpenSSL project receives about US$2000 in donations.

This week we have received roughly 200 donations totaling nearly
US$3000. Amounts have ranged between $0.02 and $300, and I notice that
some individuals have made multiple contributions.

For the larger donations and multiple contributors I like to send a
personal note in addition to the canned response message. I apologize
for not doing that this week due to the unusually large volume of E-mail
correspondence (donations and otherwise).

Please know that these contributions are greatly appreciated, as much
for the show of support as the monetary value. 100% of all donations
(minus the hefty PayPal fees) will go directly to OpenSSL team members.

-Steve M.

--
Steve Marquess
OpenSSL Software Foundation, Inc.

Re: comment on donations

Ryan Hurst-3
Steve,

Does the Foundation have a Bitcoin address?

Ryan

On Fri, Apr 11, 2014 at 8:09 AM, Steve Marquess <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Lou Picciano
Thanks, Steve,

… for your hard work, and that of the other Team Members. This week's 'excitement' illustrates how important it us to all of us.

(would be great to find a way around those 'hefty PayPal fees.)

Lou Picciano

On 04/11/2014 11:57 AM, Lou Picciano wrote:
> Thanks, Steve,
>
> … for your hard work, and that of the other Team Members. This week's 'excitement' illustrates how important it us to all of us.
>
> (would be great to find a way around those 'hefty PayPal fees.)

I'm open to suggestions. Not only is PayPal a pain to deal with on the
receiving end, but there are restrictions on extracting funds and I've
learned that PayPal is not available in some countries.

Swift/IBAN electronic bank transfers as done in most of the world are
difficult here, with fees. I could set up a charge card
(Visa/Mastercard) merchant account, but the recurring fees for that
would eat up much of what is typically received in donations (and I
don't expect the current volume of donations to continue indefinitely).

I am looking into the suggestions for Bitcoin payments.

-Steve M.

--
Steve Marquess
OpenSSL Software Foundation, Inc.
1829 Mount Ephraim Road
Adamstown, MD  21710
USA
+1 877 673 6775 s/b
+1 301 874 2571 direct
gpg/pgp key: http://openssl.com/docs/0xCE69424E.asc

Re: comment on donations

Ted Byers
On Fri, Apr 11, 2014 at 1:23 PM, Steve Marquess
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 04/11/2014 11:57 AM, Lou Picciano wrote:
>> Thanks, Steve,
>>
>> ... for your hard work, and that of the other Team Members. This week's 'excitement' illustrates how important it us to all of us.
>>
>> (would be great to find a way around those 'hefty PayPal fees.)
>
> I'm open to suggestions. Not only is PayPal a pain to deal with on the
> receiving end, but there are restrictions on extracting funds and I've
> learned that PayPal is not available in some countries.
>
> Swift/IBAN electronic bank transfers as done in most of the world are
> difficult here, with fees. I could set up a charge card
> (Visa/Mastercard) merchant account, but the recurring fees for that
> would eat up much of what is typically received in donations (and I
> don't expect the current volume of donations to continue indefinitely).
>
> I am looking into the suggestions for Bitcoin payments.
>
> -Steve M.

I am not familiar with Bitcoin, but work in the ecommerce industry
(particularly in the risk mitigation technology side of things at the
application and business logic level).  There is a huge variation in
the fees charged by processing banks, both between banks and, for any
given bank, the risk the bank perceives to be inherent either in the
vendor's industry or inherent in the vendor itself.  I have seen setup
fees as low as a few hundred US$, and higher than US$1,000.  There is
similar variation in monthly fees.  I can't recommend a processing
bank with low fees as I am normally working to provide support for
high risk merchants (so I normally see the higher end of the range of
fees).  And, per transaction fees can vary from a few pennies per
transaction up to $0.50 or $0.60 per transaction.  And on top of that,
they take a percentage of the volume (I have seen a range from less
than 5% to well over 10%).  With an annual volume of about US$2,000, I
could see the monthly fees alone taking 50% to 60% of your gross.
With such low volume, I wonder if it is worth it, over just asking
supporters to send a check or money order.

Have you checked out Google and Amazon's payment services?  I have
heard they exist, but haven't checked them out for cost (I may do so,
and soon, as the Canadian bank's support for ecommerce leaves
everything to be desired: try finding any documentation for their API,
or even if they have such an API, for any of the big 5 in Canada).

Cheers

Ted

Cheers

Ted

--
R.E.(Ted) Byers, Ph.D.,Ed.D.

Re: comment on donations

Ted Byers
On Fri, Apr 11, 2014 at 2:20 PM, Ted Byers <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Have you checked out Google and Amazon's payment services?  I have
> heard they exist, but haven't checked them out for cost (I may do so,
> and soon, as the Canadian bank's support for ecommerce leaves
> everything to be desired: try finding any documentation for their API,
> or even if they have such an API, for any of the big 5 in Canada).
>
> Cheers
>
> Ted
>
> Cheers
>
> Ted
>
> --
> R.E.(Ted) Byers, Ph.D.,Ed.D.

My curiosity being piqued, I took a look, and both Google and Amazon
have the same transaction fees as Paypal ($0.30 per transaction, and
2.9% of the volume), and, Amazon HAS NO SETUP, MONTHLY, CANCELLATION,
or FRAUD PROTECTION FEES.  That makes tham a bargain.

And guess what I just found.  ;-)  Amazon has special discounts for
icropayments and nonproft organizations.  I do not know if you're a
501(c)3 non-profit, but if you are, then your rate would be 2.2%,
along with the $0.30 per transaction.  Check it out on
https://payments.amazon.com/business/pricingPlan, and links on that
page.

But, if you can live with $0.30 per transaction, and 2.9% volume (or
2.2% if you're a 501(c)3 organization), then Amazon may be an
excellent alternative to Paypal.

I just learned, to my chagrin, that Google has shut down their
checkout service, and passed that business off to Braintree
(https:///www.braintreepayments.com/google-checkout?partner_source=google-checkout,
whose fees are 2.7% and $0.30 per transaction AND NO OTHER FEES.
Braintree may thus also be an excellent alternative to Paypal.

I know nothing of Braintree's reputation, but Amazon's reputation is
outstanding.

Cheers

Ted

--
R.E.(Ted) Byers, Ph.D.,Ed.D.

Re: comment on donations

Justin Frappier
remove

<[hidden email]> wrote:
> On 04/11/2014 11:57 AM, Lou Picciano wrote:
>> Thanks, Steve,
>>
>> ... for your hard work, and that of the other Team Members. This week's 'excitement' illustrates how important it us to all of us.
>>
>> (would be great to find a way around those 'hefty PayPal fees.)
>
> I'm open to suggestions. Not only is PayPal a pain to deal with on the
> receiving end, but there are restrictions on extracting funds and I've
> learned that PayPal is not available in some countries.
>
> Swift/IBAN electronic bank transfers as done in most of the world are
> difficult here, with fees. I could set up a charge card
> (Visa/Mastercard) merchant account, but the recurring fees for that
> would eat up much of what is typically received in donations (and I
> don't expect the current volume of donations to continue indefinitely).
>
> I am looking into the suggestions for Bitcoin payments.
>
> -Steve M.

I am not familiar with Bitcoin, but work in the ecommerce industry
(particularly in the risk mitigation technology side of things at the
application and business logic level).  There is a huge variation in
the fees charged by processing banks, both between banks and, for any
given bank, the risk the bank perceives to be inherent either in the
vendor's industry or inherent in the vendor itself.  I have seen setup
fees as low as a few hundred US$, and higher than US$1,000.  There is
similar variation in monthly fees.  I can't recommend a processing
bank with low fees as I am normally working to provide support for
high risk merchants (so I normally see the higher end of the range of
fees).  And, per transaction fees can vary from a few pennies per
transaction up to $0.50 or $0.60 per transaction.  And on top of that,
they take a percentage of the volume (I have seen a range from less
than 5% to well over 10%).  With an annual volume of about US$2,000, I
could see the monthly fees alone taking 50% to 60% of your gross.
With such low volume, I wonder if it is worth it, over just asking
supporters to send a check or money order.

Have you checked out Google and Amazon's payment services?  I have
heard they exist, but haven't checked them out for cost (I may do so,
and soon, as the Canadian bank's support for ecommerce leaves
everything to be desired: try finding any documentation for their API,
or even if they have such an API, for any of the big 5 in Canada).

Cheers

Ted

Cheers

Ted

--
R.E.(Ted) Byers, Ph.D.,Ed.D.

Re: comment on donations

Stacy Devino

It is well deserved.

You must look at how much of the internet and our existing computing architecture relies on the good will of others. It is almost all of it.

Progress cannot happen without openness and honesty, which you all have shown in spades. Everyone everywhere has come together to quickly and efficiently address the issue. No blame, no outrage, just good will. Its one of the biggest items to bring the community together across backgrounds and understanding that information security has ever seen. Very encouraging indeed!

Also, just kind of a case in point when it comes to software development in general....nothing is perfect. As pretty much everyone knows who has ever worked in software or hardware development knows, bulletproof /iceproof / dustproof/waterproof/ etc. just does not exist.

Personally, I am so glad for you guys getting what is deserved and a pat on the back for doing the right thing. The value of open source has never been higher.

Stacy Wylie
stacydevino.com
Android and Mobile Design guru

On Apr 11, 2014 10:19 AM, "Steve Marquess" <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Harlan Stenn-5
Honoring Reply-to ...

Steve, please let me know what you learn.  I'm going thru similar things
with Network Time Foundation because of the recent DDoS issue involving
NTP.

Our donations "bump" after that issue was much smaller than yours, but
at least we got a few more donations :)

--
Harlan Stenn <[hidden email]>
http://networktimefoundation.org  - be a member!

Re: comment on donations

Jeffrey Walton-3
On Fri, Apr 11, 2014 at 2:20 PM, Ted Byers <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 11, 2014 at 1:23 PM, Steve Marquess
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Have you checked out Google and Amazon's payment services?  I have
> heard they exist, but haven't checked them out for cost (I may do so,
> and soon, as the Canadian bank's support for ecommerce leaves
> everything to be desired: try finding any documentation for their API,
> or even if they have such an API, for any of the big 5 in Canada).
Google Wallet (I think that's what it was called) sucked from my past
experience. Failed authorizations gave ambiguous or incorrect reasons;
and once a transaction was corrected, there was no way to resubmit or
re-try the transaction.

There were a few times my transaction was blocked due to DLP. Once I
called the bank and cleared it, I had to submit a new transaction
because the previous could not be re-tried. Then, the new transaction
caused the past transaction to be re-tried, so I'd end up with two
orders. Then there was no way to contact a real person at Google to
fix it (only self-help crap).

Its been my experience that Amazon is better. I've gotten the books
and hardware I've purchased through them. But I never experienced
Google-like problems with Amazon, so I don't know Amazon reacts to
adverse events like stalled transactions (perhaps that speaks volumes
in itself).

Your mileage may vary.

Jeff

Re: comment on donations

Ted Byers
Thanks Jeff,

On Fri, Apr 11, 2014 at 4:54 PM, Jeffrey Walton <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 11, 2014 at 2:20 PM, Ted Byers <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On Fri, Apr 11, 2014 at 1:23 PM, Steve Marquess
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Have you checked out Google and Amazon's payment services?  I have
>> heard they exist, but haven't checked them out for cost (I may do so,
>> and soon, as the Canadian bank's support for ecommerce leaves
>> everything to be desired: try finding any documentation for their API,
>> or even if they have such an API, for any of the big 5 in Canada).
> Google Wallet (I think that's what it was called) sucked from my past
> experience. Failed authorizations gave ambiguous or incorrect reasons;
> and once a transaction was corrected, there was no way to resubmit or
> re-try the transaction.
>> There were a few times my transaction was blocked due to DLP. Once I
> called the bank and cleared it, I had to submit a new transaction
> because the previous could not be re-tried. Then, the new transaction
> caused the past transaction to be re-tried, so I'd end up with two
> orders. Then there was no way to contact a real person at Google to
> fix it (only self-help crap).

This is good to know.  It is hardly the first transaction processing
service that lI have encountered that leaves something to be desired.
I wonder, now, if Braintree is better (at least they appear to have
real people that can be contacted).

> Its been my experience that Amazon is better. I've gotten the books
> and hardware I've purchased through them. But I never experienced
> Google-like problems with Amazon, so I don't know Amazon reacts to
> adverse events like stalled transactions (perhaps that speaks volumes
> in itself).

Yes, it does.  On the down side, though, as a vendor, the customers
from whom you can accept payment are limited to those who have Amazon
accounts (unless I misunderstood some of their documentation), but if
they have an easy means for your other customers to create Amazon
accounts, that may not be a significant gotcha.

One of the things I occasionally have to do is connect my systems to
processors we haven't dealt with before, and every one of them has an
issue or three that, shall we say, makes life interesting.  You
wouldn't believe the amount of extra code I have had to write to deal
properly with deficiencies in the processor's services.  :-(

> Your mileage may vary.
>
> Jeff

Thanks

Ted
--
R.E.(Ted) Byers, Ph.D.,Ed.D.

Re: comment on donations

gjcoram
On 04/11/2014 14:46, Ted Byers <[hidden email]> wrote:

> And guess what I just found.  ;-)  Amazon has special discounts for
> icropayments and nonproft organizations.  I do not know if you're a
> 501(c)3 non-profit, but if you are, then your rate would be 2.2%,
> along with the $0.30 per transaction.  Check it out on
> https://payments.amazon.com/business/pricingPlan, and links on that
> page.

PayPal also has a non-profit rate; our parent-teacher organization
qualified for it.  Same 2.2% + $0.30.

Re: comment on donations

Ted Byers
On Fri, Apr 11, 2014 at 6:50 PM, Geoffrey Coram <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 04/11/2014 14:46, Ted Byers <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> And guess what I just found.  ;-)  Amazon has special discounts for
>> icropayments and nonproft organizations.  I do not know if you're a
>> 501(c)3 non-profit, but if you are, then your rate would be 2.2%,
>> along with the $0.30 per transaction.  Check it out on
>> https://payments.amazon.com/business/pricingPlan, and links on that
>> page.
>
> PayPal also has a non-profit rate; our parent-teacher organization
> qualified for it.  Same 2.2% + $0.30.

Interesting.

Are there setup or monthly fees for a vendor to worry about?  The
prices you mention are certainly competitive.

What is your experience with the quality of their service?  Are there
any gotchas to worry about?  What is it about their terms of service
that make them less than optimal?

Cheers

Ted

--
R.E.(Ted) Byers, Ph.D.,Ed.D.

Re: comment on donations

Steve Marquess-3
On 04/11/2014 06:50 PM, Geoffrey Coram wrote:

> On 04/11/2014 14:46, Ted Byers <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> And guess what I just found.  ;-)  Amazon has special discounts for
>> icropayments and nonproft organizations.  I do not know if you're a
>> 501(c)3 non-profit, but if you are, then your rate would be 2.2%,
>> along with the $0.30 per transaction.  Check it out on
>> https://payments.amazon.com/business/pricingPlan, and links on that
>> page.
>
> PayPal also has a non-profit rate; our parent-teacher organization
> qualified for it.  Same 2.2% + $0.30.

The OpenSSl Software Foundation is *not* a 501(c)(3) corporation (aka
"non-profit"). That was on advice of our attorneys and accountants when
it was first created. Non-profit status is really only meaningful to
individual ("1040") taxpayers in the U.S. On the flip side maintaining a
501(c)(3) is more expensive in paperwork costs. With donations normally
only yielding a few thousand dollars annually (and much of that from
outside the U.S. at that) there was no net gain from a formal non-profit
status. As much as I like our attorneys and accountants we want funding
to support OpenSSL and not the legal and accounting professions.

If there was enough money at stake then I would run not walk to said
attorney and accountants and pay them to create/convert an appropriate
non-profit legal entity. I don't see that making financial sense though,
even with the recent boost in donations.

-Steve M.

--
Steve Marquess
OpenSSL Software Foundation, Inc.
1829 Mount Ephraim Road
Adamstown, MD  21710
USA
+1 877 673 6775 s/b
+1 301 874 2571 direct
gpg/pgp key: http://openssl.com/docs/0xCE69424E.asc

Re: comment on donations

Kyle Hamilton
Is OpenSSL Software Foundation, Inc. a tax-exempt organization?

-Kyle H

<[hidden email]> wrote:

> In a typical year the OpenSSL project receives about US$2000 in donations.
>
> This week we have received roughly 200 donations totaling nearly
> US$3000. Amounts have ranged between $0.02 and $300, and I notice that
> some individuals have made multiple contributions.
>
> For the larger donations and multiple contributors I like to send a
> personal note in addition to the canned response message. I apologize
> for not doing that this week due to the unusually large volume of E-mail
> correspondence (donations and otherwise).
>
> Please know that these contributions are greatly appreciated, as much
> for the show of support as the monetary value. 100% of all donations
> (minus the hefty PayPal fees) will go directly to OpenSSL team members.
>
> -Steve M.
>
> --
> Steve Marquess
> OpenSSL Software Foundation, Inc.
> 1829 Mount Ephraim Road
> Adamstown, MD  21710
> USA
> +1 877 673 6775 s/b
> +1 301 874 2571 direct
> gpg/pgp key: http://openssl.com/docs/0xCE69424E.asc

Re: comment on donations

Kyle Hamilton
Teach me to ask a question without reading the entire thread.

At what point would the break-even cost make sense to form a non-profit entity?

-Kyle H

On 04/11/2014 23:50, Kyle Hamilton <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Teach me to ask a question without reading the entire thread.
>
> At what point would the break-even cost make sense to form a
> non-profit entity?
>
> -Kyle H

It costs $500-$750 to file for tax-exempt status (501c3); then you
have to file a return every year.  There's no filing fee, but you do
have to have someone willing to do it, or you have to pay an
accountant.  There might be a cost for submitting 1099-MISC for
programmers that receive more than $600 of non-employee income in a
calendar year; once you start being official, you have to follow all
the rules.

I'm not a tax lawyer, and I don't know where OpenSSL is incorporated;
I suppose there's a possibility that it should be filing a business
tax return, and paying some taxes.  In that case, being tax-exempt
would be important for OpenSSL.  As it stands, I think the benefit
would be to the donors, who could then deduct the amount from their
personal income taxes.  The value of this depends, obviously, on how
much they give and what tax bracket they're in.  If you save $5 on
your $100 donation, are you going to give $105?  That covers the $3.20
in PayPal fees, but not much more.

The other benefit to OpenSSL would be eligibility for various grants
and matching gift programs, many of which are restricted to registered
non-profits.  I don't know if there are any such grants that would
consider OpenSSL.

Re: comment on donations

Steve Marquess-3
On 04/12/2014 07:37 AM, Geoffrey Coram wrote:

> On 04/11/2014 23:50, Kyle Hamilton <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Teach me to ask a question without reading the entire thread.
>>
>> At what point would the break-even cost make sense to form a
>> non-profit entity?
>>
>> -Kyle H
>

> It costs $500-$750 to file for tax-exempt status (501c3); then you
> have to file a return every year.  There's no filing fee, but you do
> have to have someone willing to do it, or you have to pay an
> accountant. ...

OSF uses a professional accounting and law firm, and spends many
thousands a year on their services. That's not a job for amateurs, as I
learned three decades ago when I did all the taxes for my first little
company myself.

> The other benefit to OpenSSL would be eligibility for various grants
> and matching gift programs, many of which are restricted to registered
> non-profits.  I don't know if there are any such grants that would
> consider OpenSSL.

With total annual donations never exceeding (until recently) ~$2K, it
clearly didn't make sense to incur the extra expense and hassle of
non-profit status. If it did make sense I'd set up a 501(c)(3) in a
heartbeat (pun intended); I understand some open source organizations do
it both ways, with both a for-profit and non-profit component (Mozilla
for instance).

And by "I'd set up" I mean we'd pay our lawyers and accountants to make
it happen. Having founded or co-founded five companies in my life, and
paid the bills for the associated professional services, I can tell you
that you don't just "set up" a corporation for "$500-$750". Not a real
functioning entity with real clients and real revenues, insurance,
employees, subcontractors, etc.

-Steve M.

--
Steve Marquess
OpenSSL Software Foundation, Inc.
1829 Mount Ephraim Road
Adamstown, MD  21710
USA
+1 877 673 6775 s/b
+1 301 874 2571 direct
gpg/pgp key: http://openssl.com/docs/0xCE69424E.asc

Re: comment on donations

Arne Ansper

On Fri, 11 Apr 2014, Steve Marquess wrote:

> Swift/IBAN electronic bank transfers as done in most of the world are
> difficult here, with fees. I could set up a charge card
> (Visa/Mastercard) merchant account, but the recurring fees for that
> would eat up much of what is typically received in donations (and I
> don't expect the current volume of donations to continue indefinitely).

Take a look at TransferWise https://transferwise.com/

Arne