command passwd

SchmiTTT
Up to recent time it was that Command passwd involved mcrypt. Right?

Will soon OpenSSL substitute mcrypt?
Or is OpenSSL too big for this?

Thx for answer.
Val.

Re: command passwd

OpenSSL - User mailing list
  • Up to recent time it was that Command passwd involved mcrypt. Right?

What is mcrypt?  Do you mean MD5?  (Probably not, but I wanted to ask.)

Re: command passwd

SchmiTTT
mcrypt not only has md5, it has blowfish too and other keys. You can download source at http://sf.net
mcrypt is a linux command as follower oft command crypt.

Salz, Rich via openssl-users <[hidden email]> schrieb am Mo., 16. Juli 2018, 22:45:
  • Up to recent time it was that Command passwd involved mcrypt. Right?

What is mcrypt?  Do you mean MD5?  (Probably not, but I wanted to ask.)

Re: command passwd

Wim Lewis-3

On 16. júl. 2018, at 1:51 e.h., Carl-Valentin Schmitt <[hidden email]> wrote:
mcrypt not only has md5, it has blowfish too and other keys. You can download source at http://sf.net
mcrypt is a linux command as follower oft command crypt.

I don't think the "openssl passwd" command has ever used mcrypt. OpenSSL has implementations of (almost) all the relevant ciphers in libcrypto already.

Re: command passwd

    https://www.openssl.org/docs/manmaster/man1/passwd.html

> Will soon OpenSSL substitute mcrypt?

There has been little to no demand for any enhancements in this
command-line utility.

> Or is OpenSSL too big for this?

Sounding like you're trolling might not be the best way to engage
the team on suggestions to enhance the OpenSSL "passwd" command.

Re: command passwd

Jakob Bohm-7
On 16/07/2018 21:02, Carl-Valentin Schmitt wrote:
> Up to recent time it was that Command passwd involved mcrypt. Right?
>
> Will soon OpenSSL substitute mcrypt?
> Or is OpenSSL too big for this?

I guess you are referring to the libmcrypt, a cryptographic
library which is kind of an alternative to OpenSSL's
"libcrypto" (formerly libeay).

I also presume this is about the OS level "passwd" command
in some *N*X system, like Linux or BSD.

If so, this would be up to the maintainers of that system
command on that *N*X OS distribution to decide if they want
to switch from using libmcrypt to using the OpenSSL 1.1.x's
libcrypto to implement the standard cryptographic primitives
involved in the *N*X password hashing schemes.

In practice it should also be noted that there are often
additional layers behind the passwd(1) command, such as PAM
and libcrypt (no O or M).  So the actual decision to use
libmcrypt, libcrypto or any other library would probably be
up to the maintainer of that lower system layer.

Enjoy

Jakob

Re: command passwd

SchmiTTT

Hello Viktor,

dont worry. Am not trolling.
I take this seriously for my little project.
:)
Greetz.
Val.