Win32OpenSSL.html

John A. Wallace

Hello.

In this instance I am using 64-bit Win7 on a laptop in a home network. When I downloaded this version of OpenSSL  http://slproweb.com/download/Win64OpenSSL_Light-1_0_1c.exe, during installation it alerted me about not finding but needing the Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable.  I was a bit surprised to see this alert because I could see that I already had several other such Redistributables installed on my system. These are what I currently had:

Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable – x64 9.0.30729.17

Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable – x64 9.0.30729.4148

Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable – x64 9.0.30729.6161

Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable – x86 9.0.30729.17

Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable – x86 9.0.30729.4148

Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable – x86 9.0.30729.6161

Apparently, this version of OpenSSL required a different one, so I went online hunting down what I could find along these lines until coming across another one that seemed to suffice, namely, this one:

Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable – x64 9.0.21022

I was lucky, I suppose, in that I did not have to spend much time looking around before I found one that would fit the bill and satisfy and satisfy its requirements. However, to be honest, I am no programmer and, therefore, I am not at all sure how many different versions of the 2008 Redistributable are floating around. In the alert that I got during the installation there was no mention of any specific version at all.

In general, how would a person know which of these version might be needed without having to go through a hunt and peck approach while looking for one of them? This is an awesome product, but it would be swell also, if possible, to tweak the installation process with a little more information about its dependencies under the circumstances. Or am I seeming too picky about it? Thanks.

John

Re: Win32OpenSSL.html

John A. Wallace
"John A. Wallace" <[hidden email]> wrote in
message news:<00a701cd4f01$2b569ab0$8203d010$@net>...

> Hello.
>
> In this instance I am using 64-bit Win7 on a laptop in a home network.
> When
> I downloaded this version of OpenSSL
> http://slproweb.com/download/Win64OpenSSL_Light-1_0_1c.exe, during
> installation it alerted me about not finding but needing the Visual C++
> 2008
> Redistributable.  I was a bit surprised to see this alert because I could
> see that I already had several other such Redistributables installed on my
> system. These are what I currently had:
>
> Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable - x64 9.0.30729.17
> Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable - x64 9.0.30729.4148
> Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable - x64 9.0.30729.6161
> Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable - x86 9.0.30729.17
> Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable - x86 9.0.30729.4148
> Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable - x86 9.0.30729.6161
>
> Apparently, this version of OpenSSL required a different one, so I went
> online hunting down what I could find along these lines until coming
> across
> another one that seemed to suffice, namely, this one:
>
> Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable - x64 9.0.21022
>
> I was lucky, I suppose, in that I did not have to spend much time looking
> around before I found one that would fit the bill and satisfy and satisfy
> its requirements. However, to be honest, I am no programmer and,
> therefore,
> I am not at all sure how many different versions of the 2008
> Redistributable
> are floating around. In the alert that I got during the installation there
> was no mention of any specific version at all.
>
> In general, how would a person know which of these version might be needed
> without having to go through a hunt and peck approach while looking for
> one
> of them? This is an awesome product, but it would be swell also, if
> possible, to tweak the installation process with a little more information
> about its dependencies under the circumstances. Or am I seeming too picky
> about it? Thanks.

In fairness I should add to this explanation that I did in fact see on the
same website where a number of versions of the “C++ 2008 Redistributable”
were also available for download. Even so, when I clicked on the download
link of the one identified as the correct version for my installation, it
directed me to a Microsoft download site on which it stated that the system
requirements for this particular version included a number of other
operating systems, but it did not include mine. Therefore, I was not sure
about whether it was appropriate for my situation. It turns out that it was
sufficient, but, again, the Microsoft instructions were not adequately
prepared for efficiency. Thanks.

John

Re: Win32OpenSSL.html

Gerald L Collins
John,
  Your Openssl package should have a manifest file with the same name as the executable with a .manifest extension.  I.E. openssl.exe would have openssl.exe.manifest .  In that manifest file it tells you what version of libraries it is looking for.

For example part of a manifest file one of my executables has looks like below:
<dependency>
  <dependentAssembly>
    <assemblyIdentity type='win32' name='Microsoft.VC90.CRT' version='9.0.21022.8' processorArchitecture='x86' publicKeyToken='1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b' />
  </dependentAssembly>
</dependency>

The version should point you to the proper set to load.  Hope this helps.

Gerald Collins
Senior Member Technical Staff, Programmer / Analyst
CSC

8 Executive Drive, Suite 300, Fairview Heights, IL 62208 North American Public Sector | p: +1-618-632-9252 x410  | | [hidden email] |
www.csc.com

This is a PRIVATE message. If you are not the intended recipient, please delete without copying and kindly advise us by e-mail of the mistake in delivery.
NOTE: Regardless of content, this e-mail shall not operate to bind CSC to any order or other contract unless pursuant to explicit written agreement or government initiative expressly permitting the use of e-mail for such purpose.

From:        "John" <[hidden email]>
To:        [hidden email]
Date:        06/20/2012 01:13 PM
Subject:        Re: Win32OpenSSL.html
Sent by:        [hidden email]

> [...]
> possible, to tweak the installation process with a little more information
> about its dependencies under the circumstances. Or am I seeming too picky
> about it? Thanks.

In fairness I should add to this explanation that I did in fact see on the
same website where a number of versions of the “C++ 2008 Redistributable”
were also available for download. Even so, when I clicked on the download
link of the one identified as the correct version for my installation, it
directed me to a Microsoft download site on which it stated that the system
requirements for this particular version included a number of other
operating systems, but it did not include mine. Therefore, I was not sure
about whether it was appropriate for my situation. It turns out that it was
sufficient, but, again, the Microsoft instructions were not adequately

Jakob Bohm-7
On 20-06-2012 22:06, Gerald L Collins wrote:

John,

  Your Openssl package should have a manifest file with the same name as the executable with a .manifest extension.  I.E. openssl.exe would have openssl.exe.manifest .  In that manifest file it tells you what version of libraries it is looking for.

For example part of a manifest file one of my executables has looks like below:

<dependency>
  <dependentAssembly>
    <assemblyIdentity type='win32' name='Microsoft.VC90.CRT' version='9.0.21022.8' processorArchitecture='x86' publicKeyToken='1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b' />
  </dependentAssembly>
</dependency>

The version should point you to the proper set to load.  Hope this helps.

In most correctly linked exe and dll files, this is stored inside the file as a PE file resource.  A quick trick is to open the exe file in a text viewer and search for the string "dependentAssemply", if the manifest is there, the XML file should appear in clear text near the end of the file.  (Of cause there are APIs and tools to follow the various header fields to the exact location that the system will look, but the text viewer is a quick and dirty way that usually gets the right result).

From:        [hidden email]
To:        [hidden email]
Date:        06/20/2012 01:13 PM
Sent by:        [hidden email]

[...]

After downloading the version listed in the XML manifest, you need to do these additional steps (steps 1 to 3 are only needed if you have not already installed KB2718704 which was released on May 31 to stop an attack that falsifies Microsoft's own signature on Windows Updates and ActiveX controls, the steps ensure the update itself is not falsified):

  1. Temporarily disable Windows Update and ActiveX support, even for trusted sites such as Microsoft.
  2. Manually Download the server version of Microsoft KB2718704, right click the downloaded file (Windows6.1-KB2718704-x64.msu for Win7 x64), select properties and look at the digital signatures tab.  Open the details of the signature and make sure it is signed by Microsoft AND that the "certification path" does not include any of the 3 bad certificates listed in the KB2718704 support article.  If all is ok, install the file.
  3. Open a command prompt "As Administrator" and run the following 4 commands (note the period in the 3rd command, there should be an error message about "in use", it is intentional):
    cd %SystemRoot%\SoftwareDistribution
    net stop "Windows Update"
    rd /s /q .
    net start "Windows Update"
  4. Open Windows Update and install any updates for the Visual C++ redistributable you just installed.

Enjoy

Jakob

--
Jakob Bohm, CIO, Partner, WiseMo A/S.  http://www.wisemo.com
Transformervej 29, 2730 Herlev, Denmark.  Direct +45 31 13 16 10

RE: Win32OpenSSL.html

J. J. Farrell-2

You'd be best raising this with whomever produced that installer. The OpenSSL project distributes OpenSSL in source form. Some third party built OpenSSL and packaged it into that installer, that's who decided and controls which versions of OS libraries it depends on.

Regards,

                          jjf

Re: Win32OpenSSL.html

Thomas J. Hruska
On 6/20/2012 11:12 AM, John wrote:

> "John A. Wallace" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
>> Hello.
>>
>> In this instance I am using 64-bit Win7 on a laptop in a home network.
>> When
>> I downloaded this version of OpenSSL
>> http://slproweb.com/download/Win64OpenSSL_Light-1_0_1c.exe, during
>> installation it alerted me about not finding but needing the Visual
>> C++ 2008
>> Redistributable.  I was a bit surprised to see this alert because I could
>> see that I already had several other such Redistributables installed
>> on my
>> system. These are what I currently had:
>>
>> Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable - x64 9.0.30729.17
>> Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable - x64 9.0.30729.4148
>> Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable - x64 9.0.30729.6161

>> Apparently, this version of OpenSSL required a different one, so I went
>> online hunting down what I could find along these lines until coming
>> across
>> another one that seemed to suffice, namely, this one:
>>
>> Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable - x64 9.0.21022
>>
> In fairness I should add to this explanation that I did in fact see on
> the same website where a number of versions of the “C++ 2008
> Redistributable” were also available for download. Even so, when I
> clicked on the download link of the one identified as the correct
> version for my installation, it directed me to a Microsoft download site
> on which it stated that the system requirements for this particular
> version included a number of other operating systems, but it did not
> include mine. Therefore, I was not sure about whether it was appropriate
> for my situation. It turns out that it was sufficient, but, again, the
> Microsoft instructions were not adequately prepared for efficiency. Thanks.
>
> John

The installer does a very rudimentary check for a specific registry
entry.  If it doesn't exist, it assumes the necessary VC++ runtimes are
not installed.  The runtimes on the website are the correct ones.  I'm
using them just fine here on Win7.  Haven't tried the Win8 beta yet but
nothing critical really changed there (except maybe the introduction of
ARM).

There are three solutions to the problem of the VC++ runtimes:

1)  Bundle the VC++ runtimes with the installer and bloat the installer
(ugh).

2)  Link to the VC++ runtimes from the webpage and detect from the
installer (meh).  It works well enough for most people and reduces the
download size significantly.

3)  The OpenSSL devs switch the highly annoying /MD flag to something
else that doesn't create bloated dependencies on the VC++ runtimes
(yay).  I've been wanting this change for YEARS because /MD is a
terrible flag to use for the DLLs.  The result of a default build is
that it forms an unwanted set of dependencies.  The most likely reason
for /MD is VS6.  But VS6 is *ancient*.  There is also no way to control
the flag from the command-line except to string replace the makefiles.

I opted for #2.  #3 is the best solution but it requires the devs to do
something and they don't like us Windows users.

--
Thomas Hruska
Shining Light Productions

Home of BMP2AVI and Win32 OpenSSL.
http://www.slproweb.com/

RE: Win32OpenSSL.html

John A. Wallace

I do appreciate the excellent support I have gotten with this program. Thank you.

From:        "John" <[hidden email]>
To:        [hidden email]
Date:        06/20/2012 01:13 PM
Sent by:        [hidden email]

"John A. Wallace" <[hidden email]> wrote in
message <a href="news:%3c00a701cd4f01$2b569ab0$8203d010$@net">news:<00a701cd4f01$2b569ab0$8203d010$@net>...
> Hello.
>
> In this instance I am using 64-bit Win7 on a laptop in a home network.
> When
> I downloaded this version of OpenSSL

http://slproweb.com/download/Win64OpenSSL_Light-1_0_1c.exe, during
> installation it alerted me about not finding but needing the Visual C++
> 2008
> Redistributable.  I was a bit surprised to see this alert because I could
> see that I already had several other such Redistributables installed on my
> system. These are what I currently had:
>
> Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable - x64 9.0.30729.17
> Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable - x64 9.0.30729.4148
> Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable - x64 9.0.30729.6161
> Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable - x86 9.0.30729.17
> Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable - x86 9.0.30729.4148
> Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable - x86 9.0.30729.6161
>
> Apparently, this version of OpenSSL required a different one, so I went
> online hunting down what I could find along these lines until coming
> across
> another one that seemed to suffice, namely, this one:
>
> Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable - x64 9.0.21022
>
> I was lucky, I suppose, in that I did not have to spend much time looking
> around before I found one that would fit the bill and satisfy and satisfy
> its requirements. However, to be honest, I am no programmer and,
> therefore,
> I am not at all sure how many different versions of the 2008
> Redistributable
> are floating around. In the alert that I got during the installation there
> was no mention of any specific version at all.
>
> In general, how would a person know which of these version might be needed
> without having to go through a hunt and peck approach while looking for
> one
> of them? This is an awesome product, but it would be swell also, if
> possible, to tweak the installation process with a little more information
> about its dependencies under the circumstances. Or am I seeming too picky
> about it? Thanks.

In fairness I should add to this explanation that I did in fact see on the
same website where a number of versions of the “C++ 2008 Redistributable”
were also available for download. Even so, when I clicked on the download
link of the one identified as the correct version for my installation, it
directed me to a Microsoft download site on which it stated that the system
requirements for this particular version included a number of other
operating systems, but it did not include mine. Therefore, I was not sure
about whether it was appropriate for my situation. It turns out that it was
sufficient, but, again, the Microsoft instructions were not adequately
prepared for efficiency. Thanks.

John

RE: Win32OpenSSL.html

John A. Wallace

Thomas, please pardon the delay in my sending a response to you. Yes, I agree, your solution is clearly the best option overall.

Now, as for those who do not like Windows users, well then we just have to tolerate their oversight.  :)  In my opinion, 64-bit Win7 takes a back seat to none other and it surely owes no apology. Thanks, again, for all your outstanding assistance.

John

Re: Win32OpenSSL.html

Jeffrey Walton-3
On Thu, Jun 28, 2012 at 3:43 PM, John A. Wallace <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I do appreciate the excellent support I have gotten with this program. Thank
> you.
Shining Light and Thomas do a great job with the pre-built binaries.
The foundation might consider incorporating some of his work since not
everyone wants to build from sources.

Jeff

[SNIP]