Which 1.1.1 config options set OPENSSL_NO_TESTS ?

Which 1.1.1 config options set OPENSSL_NO_TESTS ?

OpenSSL - User mailing list
When running Configure in OpenSSL 1.1.1g with various options, it sometimes
silently sets OPENSSL_NO_TESTS as reported by "perl configdata.pm -d" .

This obviously causes "make test" to do nothing with the message "Tests are
not supported with your chosen Configure options" .

Unfortunately, neither the message nor "perl configdata.pm -d" gives any
clue which of the used Configure options triggered this, and neither do
INSTALL nor Configurations/README* nor Configurations/INTERNALS.Configure .

So how should one go about finding the offending Configure options (other
than endless trial and error)?

Enjoy

Jakob
--
Jakob Bohm, CIO, Partner, WiseMo A/S.  http://www.wisemo.com
Transformervej 29, 2860 Soborg, Denmark.  Direct +45 31 13 16 10

Re: Which 1.1.1 config options set OPENSSL_NO_TESTS ?

Matt Caswell-2

On 12/05/2020 14:50, Jakob Bohm via openssl-users wrote:
> When running Configure in OpenSSL 1.1.1g with various options, it sometimes
> silently sets OPENSSL_NO_TESTS as reported by "perl configdata.pm -d" .

Looking at the code here:

https://github.com/openssl/openssl/blob/69296e264e58334620f541d09a4e381ee45542d4/Configure#L470-L510

It seems that "no-tests" will happen automatically if you specify
"no-apps". "no-apps" will be automatically turned on by "no-autoalginit".

i.e. these 3:

no-tests
no-apps
no-autoalginit

It strikes me as a bit over-zealous to disable all the tests because the
apps are disabled (quite a few tests use the apps, but quite a few do
not - we could at least run the ones that don't use them).

These option cascades really ought to be documented in INSTALL, but I
can see that they are not.

Matt

On 12/05/2020 16:01, Matt Caswell wrote:

> On 12/05/2020 14:50, Jakob Bohm via openssl-users wrote:
>> When running Configure in OpenSSL 1.1.1g with various options, it sometimes
>> silently sets OPENSSL_NO_TESTS as reported by "perl configdata.pm -d" .
> Looking at the code here:
>
> https://github.com/openssl/openssl/blob/69296e264e58334620f541d09a4e381ee45542d4/Configure#L470-L510
>
> It seems that "no-tests" will happen automatically if you specify
> "no-apps". "no-apps" will be automatically turned on by "no-autoalginit".
>
> i.e. these 3:
>
> no-tests
> no-apps
> no-autoalginit
>
> It strikes me as a bit over-zealous to disable all the tests because the
> apps are disabled (quite a few tests use the apps, but quite a few do
> not - we could at least run the ones that don't use them).
Similarly, I would expect many of the apps to work fine with
no-autoalginit,
while the remainder could do the equivalent from the bin/openssl code
without
imposing it upon library users.