Where to copy custom openssl engine library in openssl 1.1.0

Where to copy custom openssl engine library in openssl 1.1.0

Swamy J-S

Am working in Ubuntu 18.04 with openssl 1.1.0g version. I built a custom openssl engine and now i want to use this engine instead of default openssl engine.

My engine library name is libstoreengine.so and i copied this to /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/openssl-1.0.0/engines/ path.

When i run my application the it says Store Engine not found. There is path issue here, am i copying the library in right path? I copied my library in /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu still am getting same error.

Please let me know the right path where i have to copy this engine?

Thanks and Regards,

SWAMY J S

Re: Where to copy custom openssl engine library in openssl 1.1.0

Dmitry Belyavsky-3
Hello,

You should load your engine via config file.

It may look like
=====
openssl_conf = openssl_def

[openssl_def]
engines = engine_section

[engine_section]
storeengine = store_section

[store_section]
engine_id = store
dynamic_path = /usr/local/lib/engines/storeengine.so
========

Your application should load the config file, the way it works is different for different versions.

SY, Dmitry Belyavsky

RE: Where to copy custom openssl engine library in openssl 1.1.0

Swamy J-S

Hi, Thanks for reply. I have a doubt here. Which config file you are referring too? Is there any file called “config” which is already existing somewhere or should I create a dummy file called config?

Just now I created a dummy file “config” and added the details you sent in this file.

Also added “export OPENSSL_CONF=path_to_config” in /etc/environment file. And ran the command “openssl engine store -t -c”.

Still am getting same error as store not found when I run my application.

Thanks and Regards,

SWAMY J S

SY, Dmitry Belyavsky

On Thu, Apr 25, 2019 at 11:36 AM Swamy J-S <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi, Thanks for reply. I have a doubt here. Which config file you are referring too? Is there any file called “config” which is already existing somewhere or should I create a dummy file called config?

Just now I created a dummy file “config” and added the details you sent in this file.

Also added “export OPENSSL_CONF=path_to_config” in /etc/environment file. And ran the command “openssl engine store -t -c”.

Did you specify the correct dynamic_path?
Does the strace (in Linux) command report, that the config file and the engine is read?

SY, Dmitry Belyavsky

Re: Where to copy custom openssl engine library in openssl 1.1.0

Richard Levitte - VMS Whacker-2
You can ask the openssl app where it goes looking for engines by
default.  Here's what it looks like with the installed openssl on my
machine:

    : ; openssl version -e
    ENGINESDIR: "/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/engines-1.1"

Note that engines aren't agnostic to the OpenSSL version...

Cheers,
Richard

--
Richard Levitte         [hidden email]