What's the state of WinCE support in Openssl-0.9.8?

What's the state of WinCE support in Openssl-0.9.8?

Michael Wang-7
Hi,

I've actually got openssl-0.9.8 compiled and working on WinCE 5.0.
But I've had to make a few changes to the source code and compilation
files.  Just wondering if anyone else is actively using (and more
importantly) testing openssl on WinCE?

Just to give an example of one minor change I had to make on
openssl-0.9.8.  In file crypto/dso/dso_win32.c line 149: there is a
call to LoadLibraryA().  LoadLibraryA is undefined in WinCE.  But
LoadLibrary is defined.  Is this a bug?  Or did I miss something?

Thanks,
Michael

RE: What's the state of WinCE support in Openssl-0.9.8?

Brant Thomsen
My experience is that OpenSSL usually requires some tweaking to compile
under Windows CE.  However, I have not looked into the 0.9.8 release, so I
can't say how different that is.

In addition to the changes to get it to compile, you'll need to add a source
of randomness.  I also like to comment out the test to verify that the
certificate issue date is before the current date, since CE devices will
frequently have the wrong date.

Brant Thomsen
Sr. Software Engineer
Wavelink Corporation

Hi Brant,

Yeah, I know what you mean about the date/time.  Fortunately, I have
control over the WinCE devices that my software runs on, so an invalid
date/time is not a problem for me.

As for the source of randomness, it looks like the 0.9.8 release makes
the appropriate set of WinCE calls to generate randomness.  In
crypto/rand/rand_win.c, there is a call to CryptAcquireContext and
then CryptGenRandom.  I assume these are working correctly.

Have you had any contact with the openssl developers?  I would like to
feed some of the tweeks back to them, or at least document them, so
that others can benefit from our experiences....

Thanks,
Michael

On 7/25/05, Brant Thomsen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> My experience is that OpenSSL usually requires some tweaking to compile
> under Windows CE.  However, I have not looked into the 0.9.8 release, so I
> can't say how different that is.
>
> In addition to the changes to get it to compile, you'll need to add a source
> of randomness.  I also like to comment out the test to verify that the
> certificate issue date is before the current date, since CE devices will
> frequently have the wrong date.
>
> Brant Thomsen
> Sr. Software Engineer
> Wavelink Corporation

Andy Polyakov
> As for the source of randomness, it looks like the 0.9.8 release makes
> the appropriate set of WinCE calls to generate randomness.  In
> crypto/rand/rand_win.c, there is a call to CryptAcquireContext and
> then CryptGenRandom.  I assume these are working correctly.

There was a bug in source code, which was preventing the toolkit from
making these calls on WinCE. There also is a number of improvements to
WinCE support being *currently* added. I'd recommend to download latest
0.9.8 or HEAD snapshot at ftp://ftp.openssl.org/snapshot/, test it and
report problem [as opposite to mentioning blanket "some tweaking was
required"]. A.

Re: What's the state of WinCE support in Openssl-0.9.8?

Michael Wang-7
OK.  I've downloaded the 20050805 stable snapshot and did some
compiles.  I'll post my experiences on a separate thread.

Michael