Verify a signed & private key pair

Raj Singh-5
Hi,
How to verify a signed certificate by a CA(.pem) &  coresponding private key(.pem) ?
It is just to verify that someone has played with private key or not.
Thx.
Rajeshwar Singh

Re: Verify a signed & private key pair

Michael Sierchio
Rajeshwar Singh Jenwar wrote:

> How to verify a signed certificate by a CA(.pem) &  coresponding private
> key(.pem) ?
> It is just to verify that someone has played with private key or not.

You validate a certificate by performing the signature check, just
like in the city.  You examine it to see if it has all the goodies
baked into it -- you are the Subject, presumably it has your public
key, etc.

A private key is just that -- private.  If anyone other than you has
had access to it, never mind "played" with it, it is worthless.  You don't
"verify" it.  "Keep it secret -- keep it safe." - Gandalf to Frodo.
Keep it encrypted with a passphrase.

If you're asking how to tell if a public key corresponds to a given
private key, there are at least four ways that come immediately to
mind.  See how many you can come up with,  I've spent enough time
chewing your food for you.

Re: Verify a signed & private key pair

prakash babu
Hello Rajeshwar ,

let cacert.pem be your CA certificate
let ksbcert.pem and ksbkey.pem be your certificate and private/public key pair

To verify you certificate
#openssl verify -CAfile cacert.pem ksbcert.pem

To verify the consistency of your private key
#openssl rsa -in ksbkey.pem  -check

-- Prakash