Vanilla OpenSSL uses sytems libs

etc@coderhacks.com
Hi!

I put a vanilla OpenSSL in a local folder and compiled it.

./config no-shared
make

I will not do a "make install" because I will keep my distros installation.
But Iwill use the vanilla for tests. So I need the binary as well as the
libs.

After a ldd  I see that the apps/openssl as well as the libssl and
libcrypto use the systems OpenSSL-libs instead of the one I just compiled.

Is there an option so the makefile will produce binaries out of its own
libs instead of the sytems?

Thanks!

Re: Vanilla OpenSSL uses sytems libs

Scott Neugroschl-2
Set LD_LIBRARY_PATH to use your compiled versions.

Re: Vanilla OpenSSL uses sytems libs

etc@coderhacks.com
Thanks!

It works if I

export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/my/openssl/root

and recompile it.

On 2018-03-14 00:02, Scott Neugroschl wrote:

> Set LD_LIBRARY_PATH to use your compiled versions.

Richard Levitte - VMS Whacker-2
Something here makes no sense at all...  you configure with
'no-shared', and then get an apps/openssl that's linked with the
system shared libraries?

In message <[hidden email]> on Tue, 13 Mar 2018 23:46:14 +0100, "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]> said:

etc> Hi!
etc>
etc> I put a vanilla OpenSSL in a local folder and compiled it.
etc>
etc> ./config no-shared
etc> make
etc>
etc> I will not do a "make install" because I will keep my distros
etc> installation.
etc> But Iwill use the vanilla for tests. So I need the binary as well as
etc> the libs.
etc>
etc> After a ldd  I see that the apps/openssl as well as the libssl and
etc> libcrypto use the systems OpenSSL-libs instead of the one I just
etc> compiled.
etc>
etc> Is there an option so the makefile will produce binaries out of its
etc> own libs instead of the sytems?
etc>
etc> Thanks!
etc>
etc>
etc>
etc>

Re: Vanilla OpenSSL uses sytems libs

etc@coderhacks.com
Yes... thats the same what I thought.

I expected to link against the the vanilla built if I set no-shared.
But it links against my systems libs.

It seems config takes my no-shared correctly - because If I do a typo it
will tell me about an unknown option.

Only If I set LD_LIBRARY_PATH to my vanillas path then it links against
the just built libs.

Are there more parameters than no-shared that influence that??

Thanks!
Chris

On 2018-03-14 10:54, Richard Levitte wrote:

> Something here makes no sense at all...  you configure with
> 'no-shared', and then get an apps/openssl that's linked with the
> system shared libraries?
>
> In message <[hidden email]> on Tue, 13 Mar 2018 23:46:14 +0100, "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]> said:
>
> etc> Hi!
> etc>
> etc> I put a vanilla OpenSSL in a local folder and compiled it.
> etc>
> etc> ./config no-shared
> etc> make
> etc>
> etc> I will not do a "make install" because I will keep my distros
> etc> installation.
> etc> But Iwill use the vanilla for tests. So I need the binary as well as
> etc> the libs.
> etc>
> etc> After a ldd  I see that the apps/openssl as well as the libssl and
> etc> libcrypto use the systems OpenSSL-libs instead of the one I just
> etc> compiled.
> etc>
> etc> Is there an option so the makefile will produce binaries out of its
> etc> own libs instead of the sytems?
> etc>
> etc> Thanks!
> etc>
> etc>
> etc>
> etc>

Re: Vanilla OpenSSL uses sytems libs

Richard Levitte - VMS Whacker-2
BTW, which OpenSSL version are we talking about here?

In message <[hidden email]> on Wed, 14 Mar 2018 10:59:20 +0100, "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]> said:

etc> Yes... thats the same what I thought.
etc>
etc> I expected to link against the the vanilla built if I set no-shared.
etc> But it links against my systems libs.
etc>
etc> It seems config takes my no-shared correctly - because If I do a typo
etc> it will tell me about an unknown option.
etc>
etc> Only If I set LD_LIBRARY_PATH to my vanillas path then it links
etc> against the just built libs.
etc>
etc> Are there more parameters than no-shared that influence that??
etc>
etc> Thanks!
etc> Chris
etc>
etc> On 2018-03-14 10:54, Richard Levitte wrote:
etc> > Something here makes no sense at all...  you configure with
etc> > 'no-shared', and then get an apps/openssl that's linked with the
etc> > system shared libraries?
etc> >
etc> > In message <[hidden email]> on
etc> > Tue, 13 Mar 2018 23:46:14 +0100, "[hidden email]"
etc> > <[hidden email]> said:
etc> >
etc> > etc> Hi!
etc> > etc>
etc> > etc> I put a vanilla OpenSSL in a local folder and compiled it.
etc> > etc>
etc> > etc> ./config no-shared
etc> > etc> make
etc> > etc>
etc> > etc> I will not do a "make install" because I will keep my distros
etc> > etc> installation.
etc> > etc> But Iwill use the vanilla for tests. So I need the binary as well
etc> > as
etc> > etc> the libs.
etc> > etc>
etc> > etc> After a ldd  I see that the apps/openssl as well as the libssl
etc> > and
etc> > etc> libcrypto use the systems OpenSSL-libs instead of the one I just
etc> > etc> compiled.
etc> > etc>
etc> > etc> Is there an option so the makefile will produce binaries out of
etc> > its
etc> > etc> own libs instead of the sytems?
etc> > etc>
etc> > etc> Thanks!
etc> > etc>
etc> > etc>
etc> > etc>
etc> > etc>
etc>
etc>

Re: Vanilla OpenSSL uses sytems libs

etc@coderhacks.com
My systems (debian 10) version is 1.1.0g.
The vanilla is 1.1.0f.