VS2017 15.5 hangs indefinitely with Blake2b.c

VS2017 15.5 hangs indefinitely with Blake2b.c

Oliver Niebuhr
Hello.

I am not sure if it is a VS Compiler Bug or a Bug in OpenSSL.

When the Compiler reaches 'Blake2b.c', it creates the 'Blake2b.obj' and
then hangs indefinitely.

CPU usage for CL stays at 27-28 Percent. Used RAM stays at 34-35 Megabyte.

OpenSSL Version: 1.1.0 Git up2date, Static and Dynamic build
Windows: Windows 10, X64, FCU, up2date
Windows 10 SDK: 16299
VS Compiler Version: 14.11 and 14.12, running from VS native CMD Line
NASM: 2.13.02 (also happens without NASM)
Perl Version: Strawberry Perl 5.26.1.1
Perl Configure:
no-comp no-rc5 no-idea no-mdc2 no-tls1 no-tls1-method no-tls1_1
no-tls1_1-method no-dtls no-dtls1-method no-dtls1_2 no-dtls1_2-method
no-deprecated no-weak-ssl-ciphers VC-WIN64A
--prefix=%SystemDrive%\openssl11x64\
--openssldir=%SystemDrive%\openssl11x64\ && nmake

When I add 'no-blake2' OpenSSL compiles fine.

Does anyone else have this Issue? Last build I did was at 23rd November
and then today. So I am not sure which commit (if at all??) probably
introduces this Problem.

BTW: Unrelated to this: Since 2 or 3 Months, the Fuzz Test always ends
with "Error: wstat10 (2560, 0x0)" (Sorry dont remember the full Error -
compiling something else right now). All other Tests are ok. Can I keep
ignoring this or should I create a BR on Github?

Thanks!
Oliver

Re: VS2017 15.5 hangs indefinitely with Blake2b.c

Matt Caswell-2

On 06/12/17 08:24, Oliver Niebuhr wrote:

> Hello.
>
> I am not sure if it is a VS Compiler Bug or a Bug in OpenSSL.
>
> When the Compiler reaches 'Blake2b.c', it creates the 'Blake2b.obj' and
> then hangs indefinitely.
>
> CPU usage for CL stays at 27-28 Percent. Used RAM stays at 34-35 Megabyte.
>
> OpenSSL Version: 1.1.0 Git up2date, Static and Dynamic build
> Windows: Windows 10, X64, FCU, up2date
> Windows 10 SDK: 16299
> VS Compiler Version: 14.11 and 14.12, running from VS native CMD Line
> NASM: 2.13.02 (also happens without NASM)
> Perl Version: Strawberry Perl 5.26.1.1
> Perl Configure:
> no-comp no-rc5 no-idea no-mdc2 no-tls1 no-tls1-method no-tls1_1
> no-tls1_1-method no-dtls no-dtls1-method no-dtls1_2 no-dtls1_2-method
> no-deprecated no-weak-ssl-ciphers VC-WIN64A
> --prefix=%SystemDrive%\openssl11x64\
> --openssldir=%SystemDrive%\openssl11x64\ && nmake
>
> When I add 'no-blake2' OpenSSL compiles fine.
>
> Does anyone else have this Issue? Last build I did was at 23rd November
> and then today. So I am not sure which commit (if at all??) probably
> introduces this Problem.

There haven't been any changes to that file since May. AFAICT there also
haven't been any changes to any of the header files (directly or
indirectly included) in that time period. Did you update anything on the
compiler side?

In any case a compiler hang sounds very much like a compiler bug. No
matter what we write in our code it should not cause the compiler to
hang. That said we have made changes in the past to workaround such
issues if someone is able to figure out exactly what bit of the code it
is having trouble with.

> BTW: Unrelated to this: Since 2 or 3 Months, the Fuzz Test always ends
> with "Error: wstat10 (2560, 0x0)" (Sorry dont remember the full Error -
> compiling something else right now). All other Tests are ok. Can I keep
> ignoring this or should I create a BR on Github?

Please raise this as an issue in github.

Re: VS2017 15.5 hangs indefinitely with Blake2b.c

Oliver Niebuhr
Hi.

Like mentioned below, I updated the VS 2017 Compiler to 14.12 - but it
also happens with 14.11.

Problem is: There is No Error Message of any kind - CL.exe keeps running
(well more or less) indefinitely. It simply stops working.

It really seems like a Compiler Bug. But I am too OpenSSL noobish to be
able to tell what the Problem is from my end.

I will create a BR on Github.

Thanks!
Oliver

On 06/12/2017 13:06, Matt Caswell wrote:

> On 06/12/17 08:24, Oliver Niebuhr wrote:
>> Hello.
>>
>> I am not sure if it is a VS Compiler Bug or a Bug in OpenSSL.
>>
>> When the Compiler reaches 'Blake2b.c', it creates the 'Blake2b.obj' and
>> then hangs indefinitely.
>>
>> CPU usage for CL stays at 27-28 Percent. Used RAM stays at 34-35 Megabyte.
>>
>> OpenSSL Version: 1.1.0 Git up2date, Static and Dynamic build
>> Windows: Windows 10, X64, FCU, up2date
>> Windows 10 SDK: 16299
>> VS Compiler Version: 14.11 and 14.12, running from VS native CMD Line
>> NASM: 2.13.02 (also happens without NASM)
>> Perl Version: Strawberry Perl 5.26.1.1
>> Perl Configure:
>> no-comp no-rc5 no-idea no-mdc2 no-tls1 no-tls1-method no-tls1_1
>> no-tls1_1-method no-dtls no-dtls1-method no-dtls1_2 no-dtls1_2-method
>> no-deprecated no-weak-ssl-ciphers VC-WIN64A
>> --prefix=%SystemDrive%\openssl11x64\
>> --openssldir=%SystemDrive%\openssl11x64\ && nmake
>>
>> When I add 'no-blake2' OpenSSL compiles fine.
>>
>> Does anyone else have this Issue? Last build I did was at 23rd November
>> and then today. So I am not sure which commit (if at all??) probably
>> introduces this Problem.
>
> There haven't been any changes to that file since May. AFAICT there also
> haven't been any changes to any of the header files (directly or
> indirectly included) in that time period. Did you update anything on the
> compiler side?
>
> In any case a compiler hang sounds very much like a compiler bug. No
> matter what we write in our code it should not cause the compiler to
> hang. That said we have made changes in the past to workaround such
> issues if someone is able to figure out exactly what bit of the code it
> is having trouble with.
>

>> BTW: Unrelated to this: Since 2 or 3 Months, the Fuzz Test always ends
>> with "Error: wstat10 (2560, 0x0)" (Sorry dont remember the full Error -
>> compiling something else right now). All other Tests are ok. Can I keep
>> ignoring this or should I create a BR on Github?
>

> Please raise this as an issue in github.
>
> Matt

Re: VS2017 15.5 hangs indefinitely with Blake2b.c

Michael Wojcik

I don't know where those version numbers come from (Microsoft's dev toolchain versioning remains a mystery to me), but I'm using VS2017, running "cl" with no parameters says 19.11.25547, and I just compiled blake2b.c with no issues.

Now, this is blake2b.c from the Argon2 reference implementation - I don't know if it's been changed at all in the OpenSSL sources. And I'm not building OpenSSL in this case (it's a diffferent project that happens to include Argon2), so it's entirely possible I'm using different compiler options. But there's another data point, anyway.

--
Michael Wojcik
Distinguished Engineer, Micro Focus

Re: VS2017 15.5 hangs indefinitely with Blake2b.c

Oliver Niebuhr
Morning.

Yeah my fault. I mixed up CL and Link Version Numbers:
Link Version is 14.12.25830.2 and
CL Version 19.12.25830.2 but
Compiler Tool Set Version is 14.12

You have to love their Versioning Scheme ;)

BTW: It turned out that the VS SSA-Optimizer is at fault here! After
disabling it with '/d2SSAOptimizer-' blake2b.c compiles fine.

Seems like a Bug with this Tool Set Version.

I created a BR:
https://github.com/openssl/openssl/issues/4859

Should I create a BR at the VS Forum too?

Have a nice Day everyone
Oliver

On 07/12/17 04:38, Oliver Niebuhr wrote:
BTW: It turned out that the VS SSA-Optimizer is at fault here! After
disabling it with '/d2SSAOptimizer-' blake2b.c compiles fine.

Seems like a Bug with this Tool Set Version.

I created a BR:
https://github.com/openssl/openssl/issues/4859

Should I create a BR at the VS Forum too?

That would be a good idea!

Thanks

Matt