Using MD5 in FIPS OpenSSL for RADIUS support

Using MD5 in FIPS OpenSSL for RADIUS support

hagai yaffe-2

Hello,

I am using OpenSSL version 0.9.7d for cryptographic needs of my application, among other uses I am using MD5 to implement RADIUS client. I would like to use the FIPS compliant version of OpenSSL but MD5 is not one of the certified algorithms, this is a problem since MD5 is part of the RADIUS protocol.

Is there a workaround to my problem? Is it possible to impalement RADIUS and be FIPS compliant?

Any help would be great,

TX,

Hagai.

Re: Using MD5 in FIPS OpenSSL for RADIUS support

bradh (Bugzilla)
On Sunday 16 April 2006 22:28 pm, Hagai Yaffe wrote:
> I am using OpenSSL version 0.9.7d for cryptographic needs of my
> application, among other uses I am using MD5 to implement RADIUS client.
> I would like to use the FIPS compliant version of OpenSSL but MD5 is not
> one of the certified algorithms, this is a problem since MD5 is part of
> the RADIUS protocol.
MD5 isn't a FIPS algorithm (i.e. it isn't just an openssl problem). You'll
need to use SHA1 - no idea if there is any way to do that with RADIUS (I've
only ever seen the authenticator use MD5).

Brad