Using AES utilities in 3.0

Narayana, Sunil Kumar

Dear Openssl team,

                While migrating from 1.0.2 to 3.0 we observe that AES utility functions are deprecated in 3.0.

Please suggest the equivalent replacements for these API that are been currently used by our application

AES_KEY --->    Structure declaration is also not visible to applications

AES_decrypt

AES_set_decrypt_key

AES_set_encrypt_key

AES_encrypt

Please suggest the corresponding manpage

Regards,

Sunil

Notice: This e-mail together with any attachments may contain information of Ribbon Communications Inc. that is confidential and/or proprietary for the sole use of the intended recipient. Any review, disclosure, reliance or distribution by others or forwarding without express permission is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately and then delete all copies, including any attachments.

Re: Using AES utilities in 3.0

Jan Danielsson-3
On 2020-12-29 19:29, Narayana, Sunil Kumar wrote:
>                 While migrating from 1.0.2 to 3.0 we observe that AES utility functions are deprecated in 3.0.
> Please suggest the equivalent replacements for these API that are been currently used by our application
>
> AES_KEY --->    Structure declaration is also not visible to applications
> AES_decrypt
> AES_set_decrypt_key
> AES_set_encrypt_key
> AES_encrypt

   As you've noticed, you're not supposed to use the raw cryptographic
primitives -- applications should use the application interfaces
instead.  See https://wiki.openssl.org/index.php/EVP, or more
specifically
https://wiki.openssl.org/index.php/EVP_Symmetric_Encryption_and_Decryption

> Please suggest the corresponding manpage

   This is for 1.1.1, but I assume it's the same, or similar, in 3.0:

   evp(7)
   EVP_EncryptInit(3)

--
Kind Regards,