Upgrade openssl

Arsen Hayrapetyan-2
Hello!
I have CERN SLC3 installed on my machine. It came with openssl v0.9.7a
installed. Now I want to replace it by openssl v0.9.7g.

The following command reports that there are two following RPMs in the
system:
> rpm -qa|grep openssl
openssl-0.9.7a-33.12
openssl-devel-0.9.7a-33.12

Now when I try to uninstall openssl-devel-0.9.7a-33.12 I get the following

error: Failed dependencies:
        openssl-devel is needed by (installed) curl-devel-7.10.6-4.2

Also there are numerous applications which depend on installed openssl.

If I force the removal of this RPMs can I later talk to my applications
to use the new version of openssl?

And one more question:
Is there anywhere the RPM package of openssl-0.9.7g or only source is
available?

--
Thank you in advance,
Arsen Hayrapetyan.

RE: Upgrade openssl

Airey, John

On many OSs that use RPM as the package manager, removing openssl is a
really bad idea. I realise you've only mentioned the devel package,
however it looks like you are wanting to remove the whole package. That
will probably show a huge number of dependencies.

If you need to have a feature that comes with a newer version openssl,
then it's best to install the new version in a different directory to
the vendor supplied version.

If you are concerned about updates, then it's best to contact your
vendor. Often the vendors version number of openssl bears no relation to
the latest secure version as advertised by the openssl team.

This is covered in the FAQ (but needs a bit of a rewrite. Must get round
to it) at http://www.openssl.org/support/faq.html#BUILD8

--
John Airey, BSc (Jt Hons), CNE, RHCE
Internet systems support officer, ITCSD, Royal National Institute of the

I'm cycling the 2005 Etape du Tour in France to raise vital funds for
RNIB, if you'd like to sponsor me, visit
http://justgiving.com/rnibetape.

Believing that complex life evolved from nothing is like believing that
houses are the result of an explosion in a brick factory.

--
DISCLAIMER:

confidential and may be privileged.  If you are not the intended
and any attachments from your system.

its staff are free from viruses or other contaminants.  However, it
cannot accept any responsibility for any  such which are transmitted.

those of RNIB.

RNIB Registered Charity Number: 226227

Website: http://www.rnib.org.uk