TLS v1.1 and v1.2 support in windows XP

shashank.a -
Hi,
Please educate me whether TLS v1.1,v1.2 can be supported in windows XP or not.

Thanks & Regards

Shashank

Re: TLS v1.1 and v1.2 support in windows XP

Matt Caswell-2

On 02/01/17 07:32, shashank.a - wrote:
> Hi,
> Please educate me whether TLS v1.1,v1.2 can be supported in windows XP
> or not.

As a dev team we don't regularly test on Windows XP (and I don't have
any access at all), but AFAIK it should work for all current OpenSSL
versions.

Re: TLS v1.1 and v1.2 support in windows XP

Jakob Bohm-7
On 02/01/2017 08:32, shashank.a - wrote:
> Hi,
> Please educate me whether TLS v1.1,v1.2 can be supported in windows XP
> or not.
As for TLS versions in programs that use OpenSSL, this does not
depend on the OS, only on the OpenSSL library version (and possibly
if the program has explicitly told OpenSSL to turn it off).

As for TLS versions in Windows XPs built in programs (such as Internet
Explorer, IIS, "Outlook express", the WinHttp library etc.), this may
depend on the service pack level, but I guess there is simply no support
for TLSv1.1 or later.

Thus OpenSSL based programs (on any OS) needing to talk to native XP
programs will probably have to keep TLSv1.0 (and even SSL 3.0 !) at
least partially enabled until other people stop using XP.

It would be really useful if somebody maintained a public databases of
the SSL/TLS support in various current and old systems, including some
recommended ways to cater to old systems without significantly
weakening security when talking to modern systems.

It can be quite difficult doing this on your own (I try), especially
as publishers of "best practice" configuration guides and tests
completely ignore this, often making draconian rules that won't work
for those needing backwards compatibility with systems that can't easily
be upgraded.

Enjoy

Jakob

Re: TLS v1.1 and v1.2 support in windows XP

shashank.a -
Hi Matt,
Thanks for the update.
Please guide me on how to build openssl library for windows XP,since currently we have pre-compiled library for windows 7 only.

Thanks & Regards

Shashank

Innoviti Payment Solutions Pvt. Ltd.

Mobile : +91-9008802335

On 02/01/17 10:21, shashank.a - wrote:
> Hi Matt,
> Thanks for the update.
> Please guide me on how to build openssl library for windows XP,since
> currently we have pre-compiled library for windows 7 only.

Decide whether you need version 1.0.2 or 1.1.0 (1.1.0 is the latest but
is not fully source compatible with the 1.0.x releases). Download the
source from here:

https://www.openssl.org/source

Unpack the file and follow the instructions in:

- INSTALL and NOTES.WIN if using version 1.1.0
- INSTALL.W32 if using version 1.0.2

Matt