System openssl header files are used when building openssl itself

System openssl header files are used when building openssl itself

Lianghui Chen
Hi, all

I am building openssl (master/f66aad6) within my own project in Mac OS X Yosemite, and it get compile error about undefined TLS_SIGALGS, which is defined in ssl/ssl.h, but not in OS version of ssl.h (/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/MacOSX.platform/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.10.sdk/usr/include/openssl/ssl.h). And the reason the system version of ssl.h, instead of the local ssl.h, is used, is because ssl/ssl_locl.h includes <openssl/ssl.h>, instead of just <ssl.h>, or <openssl/ssl/ssl.h>.

I think it is wrong to use a system version of ssl.h when building my own openssl, otherwise if I need to modify ssl.h itself, the local (and modified) version will never be used. Should we move the public headers files into a folder like include/openssl so it is the same with where the system version of openssl header files reside? Or anyone else has encountered this problem and have an easier solution?

Thanks & Best Regards
Lyon

Re: System openssl header files are used when building openssl itself

Salz, Rich
> I think it is wrong to use a system version of ssl.h when building my own

That sounds like a bug.  What  version are you using?

Re: System openssl header files are used when building openssl itself

Lianghui Chen
Hi

It is from https://github.com/openssl/openssl.git, branch master and commit f66aad6.

BR - Lianghui
> I think it is wrong to use a system version of ssl.h when building my own

That sounds like a bug.  What  version are you using?

Re: System openssl header files are used when building openssl itself

Salz, Rich
> It is from https://github.com/openssl/openssl.git, branch master and commit
> f66aad6.

Suppose you edit ssl_err, ssl_err2, ssl_lib, and ssl_locl to replace the brackets <> with quotes.  Does that fix the problem?

Re: System openssl header files are used when building openssl itself

Lianghui Chen
No, it doesn't. And it should not, right? As there is no folder openssl which has files like ssl.h.

But I did notice some files, like ssl_locl.h, are included in C files using "ssl_locl.h", instead of <openssl/ssl_locl.h>, already.

And there are just too many header files are referred to like <openssl/filename.h>.

BR - Lianghui
Suppose you edit ssl_err, ssl_err2, ssl_lib, and ssl_locl to replace the brackets <> with quotes.  Does that fix the problem?

Re: System openssl header files are used when building openssl itself

Salz, Rich
> No, it doesn't. And it should not, right? As there is no folder openssl which
> has files like ssl.h.

In master, there should be include/openssl/ssl.h

> But I did notice some files, like ssl_locl.h, are included in C files using
> "ssl_locl.h", instead of <openssl/ssl_locl.h>, already.

The file ssl_locl.h is local to the ssl directory.  It's a private implementation file, not used by outside of that directory.

Re: System openssl header files are used when building openssl itself

Lianghui Chen
Thanks, Rich

It seems the openssl folder is created when running "./Configure dist", let me try with that.

Thanks Again!
Lianghui
> No, it doesn't. And it should not, right? As there is no folder openssl which
> has files like ssl.h.

In master, there should be include/openssl/ssl.h

> But I did notice some files, like ssl_locl.h, are included in C files using
> "ssl_locl.h", instead of <openssl/ssl_locl.h>, already.

The file ssl_locl.h is local to the ssl directory.  It's a private implementation file, not used by outside of that directory.

Re: System openssl header files are used when building openssl itself

Richard Levitte - VMS Whacker
In message <[hidden email]> on Mon, 6 Jul 2015 18:25:12 +0000, Lianghui Chen <[hidden email]> said:

liachen> Hi
liachen>
liachen> It is from https://github.com/openssl/openssl.git, branch master and commit f66aad6.

Commit f66aad6 is this:

    commit f66aad60f249e90d16d585859b4dd62368ed7ccd
    Author: Ben Laurie <[hidden email]>
    Date:   Mon Oct 7 12:41:43 2013 +0100

        Constification.

That's quite old, I'd recommend a 'git pull --rebase'

In message <[hidden email]> on Mon, 6 Jul 2015 19:33:06 +0000, Lianghui Chen <[hidden email]> said:

liachen> Thanks, Rich
liachen>
liachen> It seems the openssl folder is created when running "./Configure dist", let me try with that.

In that commit, you should run './config', which will configure for
your platform (I think), and should create and populate
include/openssl

However, in more recent revisions of the master branch, public headers
have been moved into include/openssl, and the work to populate it by
Configure is no longer needed (you still should run ./config ).

Cheers,
Richard

--
Richard Levitte                         [hidden email]
                                        http://richard.levitte.org/