Shorter error messages.

Katie Lucas

Is there a way to generate "cuddly" error messages?

Basically, we're developing an app. The app will be deployed by people
who aren't us, and used by their users. While dumping the actual SSL
messages to a log file will help us debug things if anything horrible
happens, the first layer of support should really be the users going
to their deployers who are themselves probably not all that technical.

Is there way to generate suitable error messages for that audience?
I'm thinking in terms of something we can pop up in an error box which
says things like "Certificate out of date" without the line number
tracing and so on?

If they have a reasonably simple error message, we can write them
"things to try" for each one...

Cheers,
        Katie

Re: Shorter error messages.

Dr. Stephen Henson
On Thu, Feb 02, 2006, Katie Lucas wrote:

> Is there a way to generate "cuddly" error messages?
>
> Basically, we're developing an app. The app will be deployed by people
> who aren't us, and used by their users. While dumping the actual SSL
> messages to a log file will help us debug things if anything horrible
> happens, the first layer of support should really be the users going
> to their deployers who are themselves probably not all that technical.
>
> Is there way to generate suitable error messages for that audience?
> I'm thinking in terms of something we can pop up in an error box which
> says things like "Certificate out of date" without the line number
> tracing and so on?
>
> If they have a reasonably simple error message, we can write them
> "things to try" for each one...

Well you can use the err library to access the error queue and produce
whatever "fluffy bunny" output you want from that.

Things like ERR_print_errors() do that internally and output just about
everything that could be useful. That allows people that either want that
level of detail or just want a "call it and forget about it" function to do
so.

Funding needed! Details on homepage.