Serial Number with OpenSSL

FOURES TOM
Hello,

When I see SSL certificates, their serial number is like this : 0A:8D:9A:4Q:8X:1A:0B:88:18:1Z

So, how could I set my serial file (with serial.old) for to obtain User Certificates with this serial using my openssl.cnf file?

Thank you for your help!

Have a nice day.

Aris

Re: Serial Number with OpenSSL

Kyle Hamilton
4Q? 8X? 1Z?

Those are not octets that can show up in serial numbers.

-Kyle H

On Fri, Dec 1, 2017 at 2:21 PM, FOURES TOM <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> When I see SSL certificates, their serial number is like this :
> 0A:8D:9A:4Q:8X:1A:0B:88:18:1Z
>
> So, how could I set my serial file (with serial.old) for to obtain User
> Certificates with this serial using my openssl.cnf file?
>

> Thank you for your help!
>
> Have a nice day.
>
> Aris

Re: Serial Number with OpenSSL

Michael Richardson

FOURES TOM <[hidden email]> wrote:
    > When I see SSL certificates, their serial number is like this :
    > 0A:8D:9A:4Q:8X:1A:0B:88:18:1Z

That's an unusual Serial Number, which even if you made this up, is just an
integer.

IDevID/802.1AR certificates will have a subjectAltName that is sometimes
called Serial Number, so I wonder if that is what you are seeing?

--
]               Never tell me the odds!                 | ipv6 mesh networks [
]   Michael Richardson, Sandelman Software Works        | network architect  [

Re: Serial Number with OpenSSL

  • When I see SSL certificates, their serial number is like this : 0A:8D:9A:4Q:8X:1A:0B:88:18:1Z

Serial numbers are displayed as hex values, so my guess is you just typed that “as an example” since Q X Z aren’t valid hex characters.  Or perhaps it was an extension (like device serial) that isn’t the “real” serial number.

On master, you can specify a random serial number