Same library usage for DTLS on SCTP and UDP

Same library usage for DTLS on SCTP and UDP

Grace Priscilla Jero
Hi,

We are using openssl library for UDP and SCTP connections. The library is compiled with "sctp" option. But when it is used for DTLS on UDP the connection hangs at SSL_accept.

When we remove the sctp option in compilation, the call for DTLS on UDP goes fine. Do we have any additional option to configure the library for build so that it supports both UDP and SCTP connections without any issue?

Thanks,
Grace

Re: Same library usage for DTLS on SCTP and UDP

Matt Caswell-2

On 13/11/17 06:48, Grace Priscilla Jero wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We are using openssl library for UDP and SCTP connections. The library
> is compiled with "sctp" option. But when it is used for DTLS on UDP the
> connection hangs at SSL_accept.
>
> When we remove the sctp option in compilation, the call for DTLS on UDP
> goes fine. Do we have any additional option to configure the library for
> build so that it supports both UDP and SCTP connections without any issue?

That smells like an OpenSSL bug. Choosing the sctp option during
compilation should have no impact on your ability to do DTLS on UDP.
Which OpenSSL version is this?

Re: Same library usage for DTLS on SCTP and UDP

Grace Priscilla Jero
It is 1.1.0f version.

Thanks,
Grace

On 13/11/17 11:42, Grace Priscilla Jero wrote:
> It is 1.1.0f version.

Ah! This is probably this bug:

https://github.com/openssl/openssl/issues/3723

Which was fixed in 1.1.0 here:

https://github.com/openssl/openssl/commit/21815512063d00325fd8e25f3f39ced047cb968b

That fix was made available in the latest 1.1.0g release, so please upgrade.

Matt

> Thanks,
> Grace
>
> On 13-Nov-2017 4:02 PM, "Matt Caswell" <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>

>     On 13/11/17 06:48, Grace Priscilla Jero wrote:
>     > Hi,
>     >
>     > We are using openssl library for UDP and SCTP connections. The library
>     > is compiled with "sctp" option. But when it is used for DTLS on
>     UDP the
>     > connection hangs at SSL_accept.
>     >
>     > When we remove the sctp option in compilation, the call for DTLS
>     on UDP
>     > goes fine. Do we have any additional option to configure the
>     library for
>     > build so that it supports both UDP and SCTP connections without
>     any issue?
>
>     That smells like an OpenSSL bug. Choosing the sctp option during
>     compilation should have no impact on your ability to do DTLS on UDP.
>     Which OpenSSL version is this?
>
>     Matt

Re: Same library usage for DTLS on SCTP and UDP

Grace Priscilla Jero
Thank-you Matt. We will upgrade and test