SSLWRITE fails on HP-UX

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

SSLWRITE fails on HP-UX

Adam Mlodzinski
Hi there,

I recently built the w3c libwww library with ssl support using openssl.
I went through the pain of doing this on AIX, Linux, Solaris, HPUX and
Windows. On all of the platforms, my builds are using the new libraries
okay (so far - keeping my fingers crossed), except, that is, for HPUX.
On HPUX, my builds fail when a simple test case fails after loading the
libraries. The test case itself doesn't actually do much - it's
essentially a unit test that test a few methods. It does not try to load
a URL. Here is the output from the build system running my test case:

SHLIB_PATH=../../../dest/debug:../../../../support/HP-UX/libwww/lib:../.
./../../support/HP-UX/openssl/lib
../../build/native/debug/collector_test
/usr/lib/dld.sl: Call to mmap() failed - TEXT
../../../../support/HP-UX/openssl/lib/libssl.sl
/usr/lib/dld.sl: Permission denied
/bin/sh: 1064 Abort(coredump)

If I run the same test case in my own user account, it succeeds. The
build system runs as another user.
If I run the openssl command on the HPUX build box, I get this:

OpenSSL> s_client -connect verisign.com:443
warning, not much extra random data, consider using the -rand option
CONNECTED(00000003)
write:errno=0

After scanning the archives, I discovered that this is not a good
result. The previous post about this problem remains unsolved. I'm
hoping for some better luck.

Any help would be greatly appreciated - my builds are broken until I get
this fixed.

--
Adam Mlodzinski

______________________________________________________________________
OpenSSL Project                                 http://www.openssl.org
User Support Mailing List                    [hidden email]
Automated List Manager                           [hidden email]
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: SSLWRITE fails on HP-UX

Lance Nehring
What does the "chatr" command show for your executable?  Do the shared
libraries have execute permissions?

Adam Mlodzinski wrote:

>Hi there,
>
>I recently built the w3c libwww library with ssl support using openssl.
>I went through the pain of doing this on AIX, Linux, Solaris, HPUX and
>Windows. On all of the platforms, my builds are using the new libraries
>okay (so far - keeping my fingers crossed), except, that is, for HPUX.
>On HPUX, my builds fail when a simple test case fails after loading the
>libraries. The test case itself doesn't actually do much - it's
>essentially a unit test that test a few methods. It does not try to load
>a URL. Here is the output from the build system running my test case:
>
>SHLIB_PATH=../../../dest/debug:../../../../support/HP-UX/libwww/lib:../.
>./../../support/HP-UX/openssl/lib
>../../build/native/debug/collector_test
>/usr/lib/dld.sl: Call to mmap() failed - TEXT
>../../../../support/HP-UX/openssl/lib/libssl.sl
>/usr/lib/dld.sl: Permission denied
>/bin/sh: 1064 Abort(coredump)
>
>If I run the same test case in my own user account, it succeeds. The
>build system runs as another user.
>If I run the openssl command on the HPUX build box, I get this:
>
>OpenSSL> s_client -connect verisign.com:443
>warning, not much extra random data, consider using the -rand option
>CONNECTED(00000003)
>write:errno=0
>
>After scanning the archives, I discovered that this is not a good
>result. The previous post about this problem remains unsolved. I'm
>hoping for some better luck.
>
>Any help would be greatly appreciated - my builds are broken until I get
>this fixed.
>
>--
>Adam Mlodzinski
>
>______________________________________________________________________
>OpenSSL Project                                 http://www.openssl.org
>User Support Mailing List                    [hidden email]
>Automated List Manager                           [hidden email]
>  
>


smime.p7s (4K) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

RE: SSLWRITE fails on HP-UX

Adam Mlodzinski
In reply to this post by Adam Mlodzinski


From: [hidden email]
[mailto:[hidden email]] On Behalf Of Lance Nehring

> What does the "chatr" command show for your executable?  Do
> the shared libraries have execute permissions?
 

Thanks for the quick reply - much obliged. If I chatr on openssl, I get
the output below. Looks like I've linked it without the ssl libraries -
that can't be good. Although, I used the "quick" build instructions from
the openssl distro. Any idea what I'm missing?

[adamm@l2000-rd]% chatr openssl
openssl:
         shared executable
         shared library dynamic path search:
             SHLIB_PATH     enabled   first
             embedded path  disabled  second Not Defined
         shared library list:
             dynamic   /usr/lib/libdld.2
             dynamic   /usr/lib/libc.2
         shared library binding:
             deferred
         global hash table disabled
         plabel caching disabled
         global hash array size:1103
         global hash array nbuckets:3
         shared vtable support disabled
         static branch prediction disabled
         executable from stack: D (default)
         kernel assisted branch prediction enabled
         lazy swap allocation disabled
         text segment locking disabled
         data segment locking disabled
         third quadrant private data space disabled
         fourth quadrant private data space disabled
         third quadrant global data space disabled
         data page size: D (default)
         instruction page size: D (default)
         nulptr references disabled
         shared library private mapping disabled
         shared library text merging disabled

______________________________________________________________________
OpenSSL Project                                 http://www.openssl.org
User Support Mailing List                    [hidden email]
Automated List Manager                           [hidden email]
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

RE: SSLWRITE fails on HP-UX

Adam Mlodzinski
In reply to this post by Adam Mlodzinski
> From: [hidden email]
> [mailto:[hidden email]] On Behalf Of Lance Nehring
>
> What does the "chatr" command show for your executable?  Do
> the shared libraries have execute permissions?

On a more useful note, here's the output of chatr from my build system.
The openssl libs are listed, but how do I know if they're executable? Do
you mean file permission, execute bit?

...
..
.
Well, what do you know - in my environment, the x bit was set. As soon
as I removed it, I reproduced the build system error. Now that I know
what's wrong, I know what needs to be changed.


Thanks a bunch!



(the now-mostly-academic chatr output)

chatr ../../build/native/debug/collector_test
 [execmake] ../../build/native/debug/collector_test:
 [execmake]          shared executable
 [execmake]          shared library dynamic path search:
 [execmake]              SHLIB_PATH     enabled   first  
 [execmake]              embedded path  disabled  second Not Defined
 [execmake]          shared library list:
 [execmake]              dynamic
../../../../support/HP-UX/libwww/lib/libmd5.sl.1
 [execmake]              dynamic
../../../../support/HP-UX/libwww/lib/libpics.sl.0
 [execmake]              dynamic
../../../../support/HP-UX/libwww/lib/libwwwapp.sl.1
 [execmake]              dynamic
../../../../support/HP-UX/libwww/lib/libwwwcache.sl.1
 [execmake]              dynamic
../../../../support/HP-UX/libwww/lib/libwwwcore.sl.1
 [execmake]              dynamic
../../../../support/HP-UX/libwww/lib/libwwwdir.sl.1
 [execmake]              dynamic
../../../../support/HP-UX/libwww/lib/libwwwfile.sl.1
 [execmake]              dynamic
../../../../support/HP-UX/libwww/lib/libwwwftp.sl.1
 [execmake]              dynamic
../../../../support/HP-UX/libwww/lib/libwwwgopher.sl.1
 [execmake]              dynamic
../../../../support/HP-UX/libwww/lib/libwwwhtml.sl.1
 [execmake]              dynamic
../../../../support/HP-UX/libwww/lib/libwwwhttp.sl.1
 [execmake]              dynamic
../../../../support/HP-UX/libwww/lib/libwwwinit.sl.1
 [execmake]              dynamic
../../../../support/HP-UX/libwww/lib/libwwwmime.sl.1
 [execmake]              dynamic
../../../../support/HP-UX/libwww/lib/libwwwmux.sl.1
 [execmake]              dynamic
../../../../support/HP-UX/libwww/lib/libwwwnews.sl.1
 [execmake]              dynamic
../../../../support/HP-UX/libwww/lib/libwwwstream.sl.1
 [execmake]              dynamic
../../../../support/HP-UX/libwww/lib/libwwwtelnet.sl.1
 [execmake]              dynamic
../../../../support/HP-UX/libwww/lib/libwwwtrans.sl.1
 [execmake]              dynamic
../../../../support/HP-UX/libwww/lib/libwwwutils.sl.1
 [execmake]              dynamic
../../../../support/HP-UX/libwww/lib/libwwwxml.sl.1
 [execmake]              dynamic
../../../../support/HP-UX/libwww/lib/libxmlparse.sl.1
 [execmake]              dynamic
../../../../support/HP-UX/libwww/lib/libxmltok.sl.1
 [execmake]              dynamic
../../../../support/HP-UX/libwww/lib/libwwwssl.sl.1
 [execmake]              dynamic
../../../../support/HP-UX/openssl/lib/libcrypto.sl
 [execmake]              dynamic
../../../../support/HP-UX/openssl/lib/libssl.sl
 [execmake]              dynamic   /usr/lib/libstd_v2.2
 [execmake]              dynamic   /usr/lib/libCsup_v2.2
 [execmake]              dynamic   /usr/lib/libm.2
 [execmake]              dynamic   /usr/lib/libcl.2
 [execmake]              dynamic   /usr/lib/libc.2
 [execmake]              static    /usr/lib/libdld.2
 [execmake]          shared library binding:
 [execmake]              deferred
 [execmake]          global hash table disabled
 [execmake]          plabel caching disabled
 [execmake]          global hash array size:1103
 [execmake]          global hash array nbuckets:3
 [execmake]          shared vtable support disabled
 [execmake]          static branch prediction disabled
 [execmake]          executable from stack: D (default)
 [execmake]          kernel assisted branch prediction enabled
 [execmake]          lazy swap allocation disabled
 [execmake]          text segment locking disabled
 [execmake]          data segment locking disabled
 [execmake]          third quadrant private data space disabled
 [execmake]          fourth quadrant private data space disabled
 [execmake]          third quadrant global data space disabled
 [execmake]          data page size: D (default)
 [execmake]          instruction page size: D (default)
 [execmake]          nulptr references disabled
 [execmake]          shared library private mapping disabled
 [execmake]          shared library text merging disabled

______________________________________________________________________
OpenSSL Project                                 http://www.openssl.org
User Support Mailing List                    [hidden email]
Automated List Manager                           [hidden email]