SSL over Serial-link

Philipp Gühring
Hi,

In nearly every paper about OpenSSL, it is stated that OpenSSL can be used to
have SSL over a serial (RS-232) link.
Now I tried it, but I can´t get it running, I am getting a lot of strange
error messages (Padding error, Error:0, ...) when trying it.

http://www2.futureware.at/SSLGSM/

One thing I am guessing that could be a problem is the exact configuration of
the serial line, so that it is clean enough for SSL.

Has anyone ever successfully used SSL over Serial (without PPP/SLIP/IP between
both)?

Has anyone running code, that does it?

Thanks for your help!

Regards,
Philipp Gühring

Re: SSL over Serial-link

Chris Fowler-2
Setup each port in raw mode.  This should allow the process that has the
port open to treat is as a regular file.  You may have eco turned on and
that will cause problems.

Setup the port in ram mode then turn on any flow control you need.

On Sat, 2005-06-04 at 17:14, Philipp Gühring wrote:

> Hi,
>
> In nearly every paper about OpenSSL, it is stated that OpenSSL can be used to
> have SSL over a serial (RS-232) link.
> Now I tried it, but I can´t get it running, I am getting a lot of strange
> error messages (Padding error, Error:0, ...) when trying it.
>
> http://www2.futureware.at/SSLGSM/
>
> One thing I am guessing that could be a problem is the exact configuration of
> the serial line, so that it is clean enough for SSL.
>
> Has anyone ever successfully used SSL over Serial (without PPP/SLIP/IP between
> both)?
>
> Has anyone running code, that does it?
>
> Thanks for your help!
>
> Regards,
> Philipp Gühring

Re: SSL over Serial-link

Goetz Babin-Ebell
Christopher Fowler wrote:
> Setup each port in raw mode.  This should allow the process that has the
> port open to treat is as a regular file.  You may have eco turned on and
> that will cause problems.
>
> Setup the port in ram mode then turn on any flow control you need.

Better not XON/XOFF.
Since the data is binary you need something like
8N1 and hardware flow control (and naturally no echo).

Bye

Goetz

--
DMCA: The greed of the few outweighs the freedom of the many

smime.p7s (4K) Download Attachment