SSL certificate problem: unable to get local issuer certificate

SSL certificate problem: unable to get local issuer certificate

于千帆
Dear sir or madam,

I’m trying to use quantmod package in R to get financial data from Yahoo. It works perfectly on my personal laptops (Mac and Win). But I cannot make it work on my working computer (Win7). Here's the error code:

Error in curl::curl_download(cu, tmp, handle = h) :
SSL certificate problem: unable to get local issuer certificate

I have tried to solve the problems in the following ways:

1.      install httr package
2.      Delete curlquantmod and reinstall
3.      Update to the latest version of R, RStudio, curlhttrRCurl and quantmod
4.      Install openssl package
5.      Set ssl_verifypeer = 0L

Unfortunately, none of the above works. I had this problem earlier when I was trying to download a file using R. At that time, I switched to wget and made it work. But now I'm using an existing package and I have no idea how to solve this problem. BTW, fetch data from google finance works but Google only provide ~ 4000 records per request.

I think our company has some restrictions on SSL but I'm totally fine in accessing websites start with https://

I have spent a week to solve this problem but I didn't make any progress. Now, I'm wondering is that possible to fix it? Any ideas will be helpful!

Thanks to all the contributors, have a great one!

Best,
Arthur

Re: SSL certificate problem: unable to get local issuer certificate

Ted Marynicz
Hi Arthur,

did you read the curl docs, especially on TLS? -> https://ec.haxx.se/usingcurl-tls.html

Have you run curl from a command line in verbose mode on all machines? What are the results?

Can you give the Yahoo URL for others to check?

Regards,

Ted Marynicz