SIGPIPE signal on MinGW for OpenSSL SSL_Write()?

SIGPIPE signal on MinGW for OpenSSL SSL_Write()?

Matt England
Does MinGW provide support for the SIGPIPE signal in order to
catch  OpenSSL SSL_Write() function failures?

(I'm cross-posting this to openss-users and ming-users...I hope that's ok.)

Details:

In reference to this Thread:

<http://groups.google.com/group/mailing.openssl.users/browse_thread/thread/520be0cecfe8cea1/522c0b9602fcc940?lnk=st&q=windows+sigpipe+openssl&rnum=2&hl=en#522c0b9602fcc940>

We're working on a client-server project that uses OpenSSL's SSL_Write
across many platforms (currently mingw-windows, debian, rhel/centos, fedora
for now, many others later), and we had been experiencing crashes on the
server side (on Linux platforms--haven't done as much windows-side server
stuff) when the client closed unexpectedly.  We believe this was caused by
failing to catch the SIGPIPE signal and we have since installed a signal
handler for the posix version of our code.  What we are unsure of, however,
is whether or not Windows has any equivalent to a SIGPIPE that can crash an
application (be it client or server) if it is unhandled.

We are using MinGW for our windows development "platform" (not sure if
"platform" is the appropriate term for what MinGW is to windows).

-Matt

Re: SIGPIPE signal on MinGW for OpenSSL SSL_Write()?

Kyle Hamilton
There should not be a SIGPIPE under Windows (unless you're compiling
in the POSIX subsystem); rather, you'd get an error that would need a
GetLastError() call to obtain the value of.

-Kyle H