Removing some systems

Salz, Rich

We are planning on removing the following systems from OpenSSL 1.1:

Netware

OS/2

There are a few reasons for this.  In no particular order they include: these platforms are no longer supported by the vendor; the configurations and builds have not been testable by the team for years and might not even work; nobody on the team has access to any of these.

As a hopefully mediating factor, please note that they are still part of 1.0.2, which we have said is an LTS release with support until 2019.

People interested in supporting any of these systems should look at building their own configuration with the template system; post on the openssl-dev list for help.  Reducing the footprint and tangle of #ifdef’s is also very important.

We are also looking at others that are in a similar (although perhaps not identical) reason and will post here about them.

--

Senior Architect, Akamai Technologies

IM: [hidden email] Twitter: RichSalz

Re: Removing some systems

wrowe

Just FTR... http://www.osnews.com/story/28933/Blue_Lion_new_OS_2_distribution_due_2016

Not that I'd take that as a mandate to preserve support... We are having the same internal dialog at the ASF httpd project and coming to the same conclusions.