Reg missing rc4-ia64.pl in openssl 1.1.1

Reg missing rc4-ia64.pl in openssl 1.1.1

ramakrushna mishra
Hi,

In Openssl 1.1.1,  the file "rc4-ia64.pl" is missing. This cause degradation of performance on AIX.  Is this intentional for deprecating the support for RC4 ?

Similarly If I build Openssl 1.1.1 on nt64  with flags "enable-weak-ssl-ciphers" and "enable-deprecated"  , I witness degrade in performance.  Could you please help me understand how these flags can be related to speed test of all ciphers and digests ?

Thanks and Regards,
Ram Krushna

Re: Reg missing rc4-ia64.pl in openssl 1.1.1

Richard Levitte - VMS Whacker-2
On Wed, 29 May 2019 19:39:38 +0200,
ramakrushna mishra wrote:
> In Openssl 1.1.1,  the file "rc4-ia64.pl" is missing. This cause degradation of performance on
> AIX.  Is this intentional for deprecating the support for RC4 ?

It got remove as part of a larger cleanup commit:

commit 624265c60e07f8e5f251d0f5b79e34cf0221af73
Author: Rich Salz <[hidden email]>
Date:   Thu Jun 15 12:03:40 2017 -0400

    Cleanup some copyright stuff

    Remove some incorrect copyright references.
    Move copyright to standard place
    Add OpenSSL copyright where missing.
    Remove copyrighted file that we don't use any more
    Remove Itanium assembler for RC4 and MD5 (assembler versions of old and
    weak algorithms for an old chip)
    Standardize apps/rehash copyright comment; approved by Timo
    Put dual-copyright notice on mkcert

    Reviewed-by: Richard Levitte <[hidden email]>
    (Merged from https://github.com/openssl/openssl/pull/3691)

> Similarly If I build Openssl 1.1.1 on nt64  with flags "enable-weak-ssl-ciphers" and "
> enable-deprecated"  , I witness degrade in performance.  Could you please help me understand how
> these flags can be related to speed test of all ciphers and digests ?

Degradation, compared to what?

Cheers,
Richard

Richard Levitte         [hidden email]

Re: Reg missing rc4-ia64.pl in openssl 1.1.1

J. J. Farrell-2
On 29/05/2019 18:39, ramakrushna mishra wrote:

In Openssl 1.1.1,  the file "rc4-ia64.pl" is missing. This cause degradation of performance on AIX. ...

The AIX port to Itanium was never released as a product, and was abandoned altogether in 2002; I'm surprised that a degradation of performance on it matters to anyone.

J. J. Farrell
Not speaking for Oracle

> On 29/05/2019 18:39, ramakrushna mishra wrote:

>> In Openssl 1.1.1,  the file "rc4-ia64.pl" is missing. This cause degradation of
>> performance on AIX. ...

> The AIX port to Itanium was never released as a product, and was abandoned
> altogether in 2002; I'm surprised that a degradation of performance on it
> matters to anyone.

What, no love for unobtainable archaic platforms?

Personally, I'm bemoaning the lack of a rc4-romp.pl for AIX 2 on my RT PC. And the shocking lack of assembly modules for the PDP-11.

In all seriousness: It's pretty cool that OpenSSL still includes assembly modules for what are now rather niche architectures such as MIPS and PA-RISC. And in case all this is too convoluted for the OP, rc4-ia64.pl doesn't apply to extant AIX systems, which are all some variant of POWER, not IA64.

(OK, somewhere someone probably has one of the other AIX variants running - AIX/390 might be the last non-POWER AIX to die, if I had to bet. But probably not AIX IA64.)

--
Michael Wojcik
Distinguished Engineer, Micro Focus

Re: Reg missing rc4-ia64.pl in openssl 1.1.1

ramakrushna mishra

Thanks for all the information related to missing rc4 assembly file for IA-64 architecture.

Richard :  The following mentioned degradation on nt64 compared to the same openssl version 1.1.1 build with out using the flags "  "enable-weak-ssl-ciphers" and "
 enable-deprecated" .

Thanks and Regards,
Ram Krushna

End of openssl-users Digest, Vol 54, Issue 49

On 30/05/2019 02:10, Michael Wojcik wrote:
> [...]
Note that while the OP may actually be running AIX (old beta or special
contract), IA64 had publicly released OS versions of Linux, HP-UX, Windows
(NT 5.01 to NT 6.01) and possibly others. Linux IA64 may or may not be in
some supported distributions (in addition to site OS builds), don't know
the status of HP-UX IA64, Windows NT 6.01 (== Server 2008R2) is still
publicly supported by Microsoft with options to buy private support years
on top.

> Personally, I'm bemoaning the lack of a rc4-romp.pl for AIX 2 on my RT PC. And the shocking lack of assembly modules for the PDP-11.
>
> In all seriousness: It's pretty cool that OpenSSL still includes assembly modules for what are now rather niche architectures such as MIPS and PA-RISC. And in case all this is too convoluted for the OP, rc4-ia64.pl doesn't apply to extant AIX systems, which are all some variant of POWER, not IA64.
MIPS is still a common platform in Linux-based routers, which generally
use OpenSSL as their main cryptographic library for everything from WiFi
security to OpenVPN and browser configuration.  As these are often speed
constrained chips, assembler optimizations are important.  While ARM was
making inroads in this market, RiscV or an Asian design are more likely
successor for low cost low power router hardware.
> (OK, somewhere someone probably has one of the other AIX variants running - AIX/390 might be the last non-POWER AIX to die, if I had to bet. But probably not AIX IA64.)

Enjoy

Jakob

From: openssl-users [[hidden email]] On Behalf Of J. J. Farrell
On 29/05/2019 18:39, ramakrushna mishra wrote:
In Openssl 1.1.1,  the file "rc4-ia64.pl" is missing. This cause degradation of
performance on AIX. ...
The AIX port to Itanium was never released as a product, and was abandoned
altogether in 2002; I'm surprised that a degradation of performance on it
matters to anyone.
What, no love for unobtainable archaic platforms?
Note that while the OP may actually be running AIX (old beta or special
contract), IA64 had publicly released OS versions of Linux, HP-UX, Windows
(NT 5.01 to NT 6.01) and possibly others. Linux IA64 may or may not be in
some supported distributions (in addition to site OS builds), don't know
the status of HP-UX IA64,

As I understand it, HP-UX on IA64 has normal "factory" support through to the end of 2025 "at least"; I expect there'll be options to pay a lot for support beyond the end of factory support.
--
J. J. Farrell
Not speaking for Oracle