Recommended SSL Books...

Ron Muck

I have been using OpenSSL for about a month and though I have a basic understanding I know there is much more to learn.  I have leveraged several resources on the web regarding SSL and I am looking for recommendations on good SSL Books - preferably both as a programmers guide and reference book.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions,

Ron Muck
Senior Software Engineer
[hidden email]
503.579.1414  x5054
www.nobeltec.com

Re: Recommended SSL Books...

Tyler Durden-3
Hello, I have been using the book that you can see in this link:
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/openssl/

I do not know any book of openSSL, but I know others that explains the
SSL protocol.

This book is good, but the openSSL version that use, I think that is
the 0.96, so the documentation is slightly old.

In that link you can read the firts chapter.

Bye!

--
    /**************************/
   /** Ivan Fraixedes Cugat **/

Re: Recommended SSL Books...

Karl Sjodahl - dunceor-2
Network Security with OpenSSL.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/059600270X/104-9681170-4327902?v=glance

Great book, both for OpenSSL usage and programming with libcrypto.

// Dunceor

> I have been using OpenSSL for about a month and though I have a basic
> understanding I know there is much more to learn.  I have leveraged several
> resources on the web regarding SSL and I am looking for recommendations on
> good SSL Books - preferably both as a programmers guide and reference book.
>

> Thanks in advance for any suggestions,
>
> Ron Muck
> Senior Software Engineer
> [hidden email]
> 503.579.1414  x5054
> www.nobeltec.com

RE: Recommended SSL Books...

mclellan_dave
two excellent sources:

O'Reilly:              "Network Security using OpenSSL"  by Viega, Messier, and Chandra
Addison-Wesley: "SSL and TLS"   by Rescorla

Dave McLellan --Consulting Software Engineer - SPEA Engineering
EMC Corporation
228 South St. Mail Stop: 228 LL/AA-24
Hopkinton, MA 01748  USA
+1-508-249-1257 F: +1-508-497-8030  [hidden email]

503.579.1414  x5054
www.nobeltec.com

RE: Recommended SSL Books...

Ron Muck

Thanks for all the responses -- "Network Security using OpenSSL" it is and I expect it will be of the same high quality as other O'Reilly Books I own.

Ron Muck
Senior Software Engineer
[hidden email]
503.579.1414  x5054
www.nobeltec.com

"mclellan, dave" <[hidden email]>
Sent by: [hidden email]

06/06/2005 09:52 AM

Please respond to

"'[hidden email]'" <[hidden email]>
cc
Subject
RE: Recommended SSL Books...

two excellent sources:

O'Reilly:              "Network Security using OpenSSL"  by Viega, Messier, and Chandra
Addison-Wesley: "SSL and TLS"   by Rescorla

Dave McLellan --Consulting Software Engineer - SPEA Engineering
EMC Corporation
228 South St. Mail Stop: 228 LL/AA-24
Hopkinton, MA 01748  USA
+1-508-249-1257 F: +1-508-497-8030  [hidden email]

www.nobeltec.com

Re: Recommended SSL Books...

Bear Giles
[hidden email] wrote:
> Thanks for all the responses -- "Network Security using OpenSSL" it is and
> I expect it will be of the same high quality as other O'Reilly Books I
> own.

I haven't looked at that book but for a long time THE book was
"SSL and TLS: Designing and Building Secure Systems" by Eric
Rescorla.  He's written several SSL implementations (both
commercial and free), and is the author of several RFCs related to
SSL.

I wasn't exactly uninformed about crypto, but I learned a lot from
  these books.

It may come down to the problem you're trying to solve.  Are you
trying to maintain an application or code to an existing protocol?
  In that case the O'Reilly book is probably best.  If you're
trying to design a secure system from scratch, the Rescorla book
is probably better at first since it will drive your design.

Bear

Re: Recommended SSL Books...

Richard Koenning
Tyler Durden wrote:

> This book is good, but the openSSL version that use, I think that is
> the 0.96, so the documentation is slightly old.

It's based on 0.9.6 but it gives some prospect on 0.9.7, so it's not so
outdated as one might think.
Ciao,
Richard
--
Dr. Richard W. K├Ânning
Fujitsu Siemens Computers GmbH, EP SW TP AIS