RFC6211 support with S/MIME

Harald Koch
Hello,

I’ve been asked to support an optional feature when using S/MIME signed message transmission for (as they call it) „Algorithm identifier protection“, which is defined in RFC6211. As I’ve found no evidence in the headers of openSSL, I’m asking you if this feature is available or planned. Actually, I’m using the latest openSSL version 1.1.1 with funtions for PKCS7 signing (PKCS7_sign, PKCS7_sign_add_signer, SMIME_write_PKCS7).

Regards,
Harald Koch

Re: RFC6211 support with S/MIME

Viktor Dukhovni
On Wed, Oct 28, 2020 at 09:46:49AM +0100, Harald Koch wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I’ve been asked to support an optional feature when using S/MIME
> signed message transmission for (as they call it) „Algorithm
> identifier protection“, which is defined in RFC6211. As I’ve found no
> evidence in the headers of openSSL, I’m asking you if this feature is
> available or planned. Actually, I’m using the latest openSSL version
> 1.1.1 with funtions for PKCS7 signing (PKCS7_sign,
> PKCS7_sign_add_signer, SMIME_write_PKCS7).

That of course looks like a CMS feature, but I don't see evidence of
suppport for it in OpenSSL at this time.